Tried to back up my van using my heel today!

/ Tried to back up my van using my heel today! #11  
Dave,

I wasn't ganging up on anyone. I actually started out on my tractor quest with the goal of buying a Kubota. The ONLY reason I didn't was that their machines simply weren't as comfortable for me as others were.

If your screen name is accurate you might be able to relate to that. I stand over 6'-8 and weigh in around 285 lbs. and just wasn't able to tuck my foot back under me far enough to operate the rocker pedal in the reverse position. To be fair, the Kubota SCV position was far superior for me but that was a relatively easy rework on the Deere whereas the hydro pedal on the Kubota would not have been (at least for me).

I still think Kubota makes a fine machine and am not one who thinks green is the only way to go at all. Frankly, I still prefer the Kubota dealer here and will go there for any service work I need that he's comfortable doing.

/ Tried to back up my van using my heel today! #12  
go on navy, and while you are at it, how about a catapulting and arresting gear for easier take-off and landing .... just kidding.

things like that happen everyday ...about using the wrong pedal especially in this heat ... we just hope that these mistakes don't involve a customers fence, japenese maple of $600.00 dollars or one of our co workers.

/ Tried to back up my van using my heel today! #13  
<font color=blue>Now when I get into my wifes' van, I am often waving my hand in the air towards the floor, reaching for the shift lever, which is now on the steering column. </font color=blue>

I normally drive a Toyota pick-up with a standard tranny, and when I drive my brothers mini-van (auto on the coloumn), I often find myself waving for the stick as well as searching for the clutch pedal with my left foot./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Tried to back up my van using my heel today! #14  
I remember, on more than one occasion, trying to push the clutch on the older auto trans cars with the really wide brake pedals. Man, try pushing the brake as hard as you would normally push the clutch and you are sure in for a surprise....and so is the person behind you!!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Jeff

/ Tried to back up my van using my heel today! #15  
That's funny, Ed, because I am guiltyof the same thing. I have not owned a automatic transmission since 1984. I was driving my mother to a doctor's appointment in her auto Honda, and got a really strange look when I let off the gas to shift from 1st to 2nd!!!!!
Will

/ Tried to back up my van using my heel today! #16  
Gary,

I too was Kubota bound, but since I got 40 more pounds on 8" less height than you, my fit problem was width. On the B series I felt like I was sitting on the fenders. Deere 4000 series fit better in length, but the SCV definitely was in my way. New Holland and Massey fit me the better. In the end it came down to the dealships, and I felt better with my Kubota/New Holland dealer vs the local MF or JD dealers. I paid a grand more for my TC33D vs the B2910, but that was easier than losing a hundred pounds. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif Anyway we each have our own reasons, whether financial, ergonimical, or even emotional, the the machines we choose. This is my first tractor, and haven't had many years to develop brand loyalty yet, but let my tell you about my Husqvarna chainsaw, monster weed whacker, and leaf blower..../w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Attachments

• 47-185256-husqvarna_s.jpg
    47-185256-husqvarna_s.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 53
   / Tried to back up my van using my heel today! #17  
The SCV was the same for me if not more so. CVHoss here made a modification to his which I copied and expanded upon which solved that problem rather quickly. If you look at this <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=custom&Number=69007&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1>thread</A> you'll see what he did. The only thing I did differently was to extend the 45 degree upward angled piece as well. Right now I'm working on a seat modification to give me more leg room on the tractor and especially when operating the backhoe. I'm going to try to go from two seats to one (the tractor seat) and have it swivel to operate both (yep, just like on some Kubotas). Now if I can just add a telescoping feature to my tilt steering wheel.... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Tried to back up my van using my heel today! #18  
Gary,

/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

If you are the least bit serious, a telescopic steering wheel could be a good winter project, maybe we could compare parts manuals. NH did put their logo on the end telescopic steering column. /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif Maybe you could paint it green. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Tried to back up my van using my heel today! #19  
I'm a ways away from that but have considered the idea. I have some other things (finishing the SCV extension, adding the swivel seat, drilling holes for attaching the toothbar, adding some lights, etc.) I need to do on my machine before I get into something like that. I didn't know NH had a telescoping wheel but I'll keep that in mind. If I'm really lucky the column would exchange and I could still use my Deere steering wheel. Thanks for the tip. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Tried to back up my van using my heel today! #20  
beenthere,

I do the same thing when going from my Honda Accord (console shift) to my wife's Odyssey (column shift). Kind of embarrassing.

Well, atleast I've stopped stomping on the floor with my left foot to turn on the high beams....Well...most of the time, anyway. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Actually, if memory does serve me correctly, I think I remember getting my left foot caught in the steering wheel the first time I drove a car with the highbeams on the steering column. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Old habits die hard.

Rick