Troubleshooting My Propane Fired Radiant Heating System

/ Troubleshooting My Propane Fired Radiant Heating System #71  
I've been making a living doing hydronics for 40 years. Both thermal solar and radiant heating. To me it's interesting and I have always designed all of my systems.

Maybe the most fun is the interaction between customers and myself regarding the situation. The bottom line is: I have to find a way to get them to describe what they are looking for or what the problem is they need solving. I can fill in the blanks about how things work, the physics of the situation, what priorities are important, strategies and the best equipment.

During the process, we either find a way to connect or I lose interest and either wish them well or inform them that I'm too busy right now. They think they are interviewing me, but if they don't meet my standards, I know we will not be able to do excellent work together, communicate along the way and solve problems together. If we get along and later they call with a question, we can pick right up where we left off and maybe even solve it over the phone. It's amazing how many problems can be solved on the phone. It's fun, it's easy and it gets me a lot of recommendations. Problem solving and interaction are fun.

Some guys are always looking at the financial angle, or the "who is responsible" angle first. Or what they can sell every time they show up to make an adjustment. That attitude is extremely shortsighted and shows they really don't care about the systems. Look at the problem first. Be curious and learn from the mistakes that we all make. Take some pride in your work and be willing to stand behind it. Your absolute best advertising is word of mouth.

HillStreet's problem was fairly typical coming from an unqualified contractor. Sell a system you really don't know how to do and when it doesn't work, come up with a lame excuse for why it's not your fault. Very stupid. Now, every time HillStreet has a chance to comment to any potential customers, he'll tell them to stay away from that guy. Why not put your customers to work for you with their satisfaction about a job well done, even if it did have a glitch or two that you were eager to fix?

A customer should always believe the contractor is genuinely interested in their comfort and security. Even at his own expense, if necessary. Any time a system doesn't do what was promised or expected, there is a chance to learn something. Never brush it off. Always listen to the problem carefully and really understand the underlying cause. Customers actually tell me what is wrong if I set the stage properly. What time? When? How much? Show me your power bill. What kind of sound? Let's go look at it. Call me if it does it again. Etc.