Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #72  
Others will have to answer your question but I have one of my own. Is 11 or 13 horsepower too much for a Troybilt Horse? You probably have a lot of rocks in your soil and all that jamming and bouncing around might break something? I don't know but am just posing the question. Hope that's OK.

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #73  
thank you

Last edited:
   / Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #74  
thank you, any and all comments crtitiques, and scathing editorials are always welcome. saves me from trial and error paid with cash, material, time.

You posted it, not me. Usually when you post something for all to see, you get comments pro and con. Don'r see any scathing comments except the engine is too large for the unit.

I do have a question however and that is, I want to know how you'd 'machine a keyway' in a crankshaft on an assembled engine, I'm puzzled over that. I gotta hear that one...

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #75  
thanks

Last edited:
   / Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #76  
I have had one nearly 30 years, with a Tecumseh, and now a HF 6.5hp engine. I have never had any shortage of power. Neither engine has ever lugged or stalled. I have rocky ground but that just makes the tiller jump. I can bury the tines to full depth and the engine doesn't even slow noticeably. I don't need a larger engine.

Bruce

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #77  
thank you

Last edited:
   / Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #78  
you are correct, there was no scathing editorials, doesn't mean they cant occur, I was just trying to be humorous, and to let people know I am not worried about tone, just to learn, no matter what form it comes. anyways, yes clamping a mounted drive shaft properly on a mill would suck, using a clam- on key way cutter would be better, if you can get the clearance, or even hand cutting a key way is also possible, or go with grub screws. with a matched inlet on the shaft.
but thankfully that is not my only option. which is why I posted the info I did, to get feedback. so thanks

Do you have a link to a 'clamp on keyway cutter' that I can see? Reason I ask is, I'm a Journeyman Tool and Die Maker and I own and operate a short run machine and fabrication shop and I've never seen one so I'm curious. There are only 2 ways I know of to develop a keyway, milling it or broaching it and neither can be applied to an assembled engine.

Just curious and I'm always open to new ideas.

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #79  
Maybe something like this:

Portable Bore Repair - Portable Wedling

keyway.png

Bruce

/ Troy-Bilt Horse engine swap #80  
That's pretty cool, I wonder how well that works