TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #241  
i just went thru the step by step of the k46 rebuild, which seemed pretty straight forward...hats off to the poster on this thread.. the only thing i didnt do was prime the pumps and now after 1hr of purging air from the system i cant get any forward or reverse movement .. only growlin like a powersteering pump low of fluid when foward pressed most of the way.. i assume pump priming is a must on this rebuild?i appreciate any responses in advance..
thanks goodlow

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #242  
When I did my rebuild I did not prime anything. I just reassemble, added oil, mounted on mower, and drove away. I had the lever pulled out for neutral and thought I had a problem at first. But as soon as I pushed the lever back in, I drove it out of the garage. I know this isn't much help for you but I hope you can get it working.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #243  
I know it's a long time since these pictures were requested but here are some shots of the mating surface on the center case with (in my case, pretty severe) scoring between the ports. I know these aren't award winning quality photos but I hope you can make out the damaged area. This entire mating surface (and the similar surface where the motor contacts the center case) would need to be machined. Cost wise, I think this is a very good option although I elected to go with new parts for my rebuild.

Some "lessons learned":

1) As others have mentioned (and I missed), don't forget the washer that is likely stuck to the back of the motor when you remove it (part #39 in the parts diagram). I missed it and I can testify that you really need it.
2) Use a little grease to hold the bypass pin in place while reassembling the motor/center casing. Either that, or grow a very flexible third hand. Trust me, the grease is easier =).
3) Operate the bypass lever before you put the bottom back on the case and seal it up. If the motor separates from the casing, you're good to go. Then, if things don't work when it's back on the tractor, you know the cause is not the bypass pin or part #39.
4) Leaving out part #39 and/or the bypass pin can result in symptoms that act like hydraulic "lock" (i.e. engaging the transmission kills the engine after spinning the tires a small amount). I thought failure to purge the air would cause the engine to "freewheel" (i.e. spin without moving the wheels) but that's not what I found.
5) If you're really stuck, give Derrick a call. He's very helpful and, at the very least, he can talk you off the ledge.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #244  
thanks guys..i found the prob...that troublesome #39...turned the old pump over and low and behold ..works like a charm now..sure is too bad these units are non-serviceable ha ha
thanks again trevor

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #245  
Just joined in.
Had a K66 delivered to me yesterday, so ow I have 2 k46 trannies that I can repair.

Bought the K66 and am putting it in my L120 (2002-w/350hrs) as it is getting a bit testy, and my better half wants to mow thisd week.
3acres of sand and hills.

Bought an L130 last spring with 100 hours on it---and just outta the blue it quit moving a couople of weeks ago.

Plan on using this thread and info to make me 2 good k46s --- one to use and one for back up

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #246  
Well,
Got the K66 in the tractor and running.
Goes up my steephills like they're not even there.
Now---to take the non running tractor apart and see what is
going on with that.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #247  
Bryan56,
Hi, I'm curious to know if that K66 was a simple swap for the K46? IE...did it fit right in where the old K46 sits or do you need make numerous minor "fitment" adjustments?
I kind of like the idea of just swapping out an old tranny for a newer/stronger version and then rebuilding the old one for a back-up.
But, if it's a fitment hassle (and if the old K46 wouldn't easily fit back in) then it wouldn't be worth it.
So, how easy // bad // hard was/is it? Thanks for the reply Greg

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #248  
Not too bad at all
Fits in the same location as the k46, but frame reinforcements are needed.
A few holes to drill and a couple of pulleys to change.

Took me a couple of afternoons after work, but then I damaged myself on Sunday before I really got started.

While getting the mower up on jackstands, one bit me pretty hard and about removed a finger:ashamed:, so I was a bit handicapped with use of only the one hand.

As far as putting the original back in-----only a front pulley change will be necessary.

All the parts I got in the kit to do this had John Deere part# and aside from the transaxle, the most pricy thing on the list were the wheels.

Rear wheels need to be changed because of the large axle, but the original tires can still be used.

I will probably be making regular trips to the John Deere store for a while to order parts to get the other mower changed over as well.
That way it won't hurt so much buying it altogether in a kit.

Pretty sure I will be happy with this conversion.
See no point in spending up to 3k for a new mower that has the same liabilities as my current baby tractors.

Had to buy a new deck last year----sandblasted right thru the old one and could see the blades spinning while mowing.

Sand kills everything.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #249  
Add me to the sucess of the rebuilt useing just the two pump motors and the new filter.
Mine is a 46C, so a little different, but not much. 435 hours and it refused to go anywhere in reverse. The fluid was in horrible shape. I wonder how much difference just a good cleaning would have done? Runs like a champ know.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #250  
CENTER CASE W/IDS FILTER KIT UPGRADE

I just got off phone with Derrik @tufftorqservices.com as My 10 year old JD/Scots L110 K46V lost its bar code sticker he advised just search for K46V any of the models should be fine for "Loss of Power".

I asked details about the CENTER CASE W/IDS FILTER KIT UPGRADE he advised of just a ball it has filter and two magnets collect and prevent debris from entering the the block motor. So I decided to go with the upgrade part $137 extra hoping it adds longevity to this repair as this will be my second go around on this Trans axle each lasting about 5 years for a southern lawn about 1 acre (1/3 hill).

Parts Breakdown He Referred me too was first listed after searching for K46V

31 168T2025090 CYLINDER BLOCK (PUMP) KIT EA 58.13
38 168T2025080 CYLINDER BLOCK KIT (MOTOR) EA 71.00
24A 1A646099240 CENTER CASE W/IDS FILTER KIT upgrade EA 137.38
26 168T2025220 FILTER 105 EA 10.21
UPS 3 Day Selectョ 17.02
TOTAL 293.74

Last edited: