TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #251  
Be sure to take a picture of the orientation of the motor housing before you remove the motor,center case and pump. My 46 C had the narrow edge up, exactly opposite of the pictures shown in earlier posts.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #252  
Has anyone, that lives in Australia, been able buy the required Tuff Torq parts for a reasonable price?

Many thanks.
Neo

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #253  
Just joined in.
Had a K66 delivered to me yesterday, so ow I have 2 k46 trannies that I can repair.

Bought the K66 and am putting it in my L120 (2002-w/350hrs) as it is getting a bit testy, and my better half wants to mow thisd week.
3acres of sand and hills.

Bought an L130 last spring with 100 hours on it---and just outta the blue it quit moving a couople of weeks ago.

Plan on using this thread and info to make me 2 good k46s --- one to use and one for back up

could you list the parts required for this conversion?

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #254  
HEADS UP, GUYS

If you have a candidate K46 for repair, think twice about it. You can buy a BRAND NEW K46CR (the one with the auto-locking differential) for $436 at Sears Parts. Here's the link:

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/426121/0071/917

Has anyone actually purchased the K46CR to replace a K46V, and did it work? Derrick at TuffTorq says the CR won't work in place of the V. Yet if you check the parts list and numbers, they both use the exact same part numbers.

Last edited:
   / TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #255  
After replacing the center case and pumps every time I tighten the motor block down I cant turn the brake disc/pump by hand. Should I be able to? Any ideas what I may have done wrong?

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #256  
Just joined the forum. Great information. Many thanks to LotsofGreenGrass for his excellent repair guide. My JD L120 has 532 hrs. I have a k46AC transmission. No speed or power on hills. Got the parts (Motor Cylinder,Pump,fill cap, vent cap, 2 qts of synthetic oil. No problem getting the k46 off. Replaced the parts,making sure that the little pin is in place, and that the washer went on the new motor. Put the thing back together, and it makes a terrible noise, like the pumps are starving for fluid. Tried purging the air per the instructions, and still no go. I am taking it back off to see if I may have missed something. Everything went back together just like the instruction guide says. Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #257  
Am looking at Sears YT3000 (21hp fully pressurized B&S, hydrostatic, 42"), new. Made by Husqvarna. I'm assuming it's got the 'dreaded' K46 but i was wondering - if I immediately replace the stock fluid with Castrol 5W-50 synth, will that make a big difference in longevity & reliability? If so, I'll go ahead & get it as the tranny issue is what's keeping me from buying any of the models out there right now. Any other comments on buying this model would be welcome. It's gotten great reviews from what I've seen. Also learned from this wonderfull thread to keep transaxle clean etc. Prob should make the oil drain mod as well, right?

Thanks for help and comments!

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #258  
if I immediately replace the stock fluid with Castrol 5W-50 synth, will that make a big difference in longevity & reliability? Thanks for help and comments!

I waited until 50 hours and then changed to 5-50 Synthetic on my Deere X300. It may void the warentee, but I did mine real carefully so it wouldn't be noticed - I hope. It only has 2 years left on warentee. Another reason to wait till 50 hours (2 yrs for me), if it is going to break - most likely will be in first year.
A lot of reports of 300 hours or more before rebuild time.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #259  
I pulled the transmission off. I drained the oil, and opened the case, once again. The little pin is in place, and the washer on the end of the motor assembly is in place. I noticed a lot of slack in the drive gears. I rotated the axle a few times, and then I noticed that the side gears were ragged on the ends. I also notice that the transfer gear had several teeth missing. I'm calling Tuff Torx tomorrow, and ordering the parts. I'll post an update soon.

The Husky mowers are supposed to be pretty good. I've driven them, but, never worked on them. Good luck.

/ TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide with Pictures #260  
I want to add drain ports to my K46 TT. What should I do? Can I drill drain holes? According to this instruction,
CLICK
I should buy a drain bolts and ower case. But Lower case costs something about 55$. And shipping to poland costs another 50$ (I live in Poland, sorry for my language). What size of thread have a drain bolts? Can i drill it, without opening a body?

thanks for reply
greetings from Poland
Mateusz