turbo 3 vs. natural 4 cylinder price/performance?

/ turbo 3 vs. natural 4 cylinder price/performance? #21  
Sure wish they made a turbo kit for the BX2200. Wouldn't that be cool, small size, awesome hp. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think it's already awesome, turbo would make it awesomer

/ turbo 3 vs. natural 4 cylinder price/performance? #22  
Milkman, might as well go with propane injection too /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ben

/ turbo 3 vs. natural 4 cylinder price/performance? #23  
Yeah, then I'd have to point the exhaust straight up, then anybody could see me coming for miles. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ turbo 3 vs. natural 4 cylinder price/performance? #24  
Andy, ZJ and others, I agree that a turbo is a marvelous device that can help a smaller engine respond like a larger one. In a 44,000 lb machine, a turbo may be the only way to deliver acceptable performance and fuel efficiency, especially if power requirements during normal usage vary considerably.

In a CUT, however, at least for now, it is a given that a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder engine can deliver the same power as a 3 cylinder turbocharged engine of only marginally smaller size and weight. Simply look at the comparably sized versions of the JD ten and twenty series machines. It is also a given that compared to naturally aspirated engines, turbocharged engines are susceptible to a few additional reliability and maintenance issues.

Under these circumstances, I believe that a manufacturer that intends to charge its customers more for the privilege of owning a turbocharged engine needs to explain why it benefits the buyer to pay for one and maintain it. High altitude performance, fuel economy and size/weight advantages are the only potential advantages that seem to make sense at the moment, but JD (at least) isn't even attempting to claim any of them. The fact that a turbo can boost a small engine's power output is only relevant if it translates into one or more of these other advantages. If it doesn't in a CUT, then logic would dictate choosing a non-turbocharged engine of the same power output (and roughly the same size and weight), and saving money while minimizing reliability/maintenance concerns.

/ turbo 3 vs. natural 4 cylinder price/performance? #25  
Riddler, This is in no way toward you. I just punched the last post.

This is just for some thought. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

You would think that the turbocharger was some kind of new fangled technology the way some are talking here. Some one needs to tell the trucking industry to get them off of their trucks. You would be hard pressed to find any type of large truck without a turbo (or a blower). The marketing guys must have really done a good snow job on them.

As far as maintenance goes, how many people on TBN even wait for the recommended service interval?

Some have said that you would have an increase in problems because of more complexity. Well, did that stop you from getting those new fangled gimmick hydrostatic transmissions? A turbocharger is by far simpler than a hydro.

/ turbo 3 vs. natural 4 cylinder price/performance? #27  
<font color="blue"> I'm not sure how that 1.4l 100hp? engine relates to the 90ish hp engine in my NH 7610s which is probably 2-3 times the size...
</font>
Yes, it's true. I know that this fact is strange for you, as you use there big engines. Small car turbo diesels put here big hp. Why?
I think thast most important reason are costs. Tax, insurance ets are extremly big for big engines. Six cylinder diesels, or over 2.5 liter are rare.
Price per 1 liter diesel is about 1€, 4.5$ per gal if my math is good. Gas is 20% more.
Smaller engine uses less fuel definitelly.

<font color="blue"> You are leaving out that 1000$ part bolted on to the intake of the 3 cyl engine.. that makes up for quite a bit of oil/coolant, and a few extra inches of crank. </font>
That's true too. My tractor with turbo is air cooled /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ turbo 3 vs. natural 4 cylinder price/performance? #28  
<font color="blue">I guess you have not seen an engine eat a turbo. If the turbo goes out it can blow shrapnel town the intake destroying ALL of the engine I have seen it, not a pretty sight, cover the small childrens eyes and don't try this at home. </font>

You're right. No, I've not seen it.
Have you ever seen a hole when piston say hello to crank and conn rod came out of engine block? How much it will cost?

Yes, it's dangerous to use engines. It can blow. So what???
I hope that I'm not that bad luck guy who will see it on own vehicle /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

One thing bother me here: Why is sinn to have turbo on tractor engine, and normal, even prestige, have one in PU?

<font color="blue">As far as maintenance goes, how many people on TBN even wait for the recommended service interval? </font>
That's about maintenace, Jerry explained it well.

Just one experience from yesterday: When normal, natural aspirated 4 cyl tractors started to smoke, my 3cyl turbo toy started to pull (equal power class, of course).
Big torque rise is something what you can't have without turbo. I hope Andy will agree with me.

<font color="blue"> I still say for tractors - KISS. </font>
Totally agree with you - get a geared tractor /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ turbo 3 vs. natural 4 cylinder price/performance? #29  
In a general reply to keep it simple why not try one of these! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon

Last edited:
   / turbo 3 vs. natural 4 cylinder price/performance? #30  
GOOD ONE /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif