Turbo on YM2000

/ Turbo on YM2000
I suppose I should clarify on the throttle response a bit. When I pull my disk, I run fast. At the end of the field, I throttle down and turn. When straight again, I throttle back up to speed again. Throttling down just helps me turn.

I have swapped the rears, but it is still too narrow for my liking. There is a YM2200 at a Ford dealer on consignment here, but it is very rough-besides being one that is hard to get parts for. Right now, the owner wants too much for it, but if I can get it cheap enough, I'll get it. On that one, the front is adjustable. The other alternative is just to fab a new axle or retrofit a different brand axle for the front.

I know I need another tractor and am looking. I just haven't found one which I can afford yet

/ Turbo on YM2000
Oh, I forgot the best thing. Turbo cost me $300 new. Everything else I fabbed up myself, so total cost was fairly cheap. I don't know how good this chinese turbo will hold up, but figure I'll find out. Couldn't really go wrong for the price, plus my boost is not too high, so I figure it is ok for the motor.

/ Turbo on YM2000 #23  
I like the idea. I know budget wise I cannot afford another tractor right now and we mow fields as a side job to help support my boys (3) hobbies (scouting and 4-H) a little extra HP would help out when people let the grass get chest high and you are having to mow in low range.

As long as exhaust temps stay low enough the engine should be fine with conservitive boost pressure.

Lets face it they do not beef up or redesign the turbo engines used on other tractors (the only changes may be piston design) the whole idea is to get more power from a smaller package for less money and the way they do that is to use existing designs that the engineering and tooling are paid for and drop in the turbo with minimum design changes and tooling cost for the increased HP

/ Turbo on YM2000 #24  
Congrats on the very cool project. Post more pictures when you get a chance.

/ Turbo on YM2000
I'll try to take some more tonight. Thanks for the compliments.

/ Turbo on YM2000 #26  
Very nice setup!

You should be capable of operating up to a max of 0.5bar or about 8 psi max boost, which effectively increases the displacement of your engine by an equal amount (ie 50% larger displacement), but above 0.5bar you'd need an intercooler and significantly more fuel per injection event. SInce you have a BOV, you can regulate it to be below 0.5bar even under severe load.

/ Turbo on YM2000 #27  
Sacguy, don’t justify to anyone what you did, enjoy what your creation for what it is…. COOL! We put a turbo on a junk YM2210D a few years ago and entered it into a 2 cylinder only tractor-pulling contest. It smoked so bad out of the container we knew we could never sell it and the rear fenders and hood were completely rusted off. After putting the turbo on we tried everything we knew of to blow it up including turning the exhaust cherry red for an hour. To say we failed is an understatement, that tractor is still running today and has 500 hours on it since it left. I think it even smokes less. That is a good motor for endurance testing so enjoy your sweeeet tractor.

Drop the stock air filter (you can keep it for later if you ever nerd it back up) and put on a larger canister or build a box above the battery that contains a K&N. Put a snorkel on the box to limit dust intake. The stock filter is too small for the increased airflow. On a dusty day you will have to clean it every hour and if your turbo dies it will be the air filters fault.

Buck

/ Turbo on YM2000
I do fully intend to replace my air cleaner. I just cobbled up my old one to see how it would do. I want to look in the junkyard and see if I could get one off an import car and try coming up with a pre-cleaner before the air hits the air filter. Glad to hear the 2210 is still going strong. How much do you estimate you increased the power? I figure these little motors could take a fair amount of boost, but since this is a tractor I depend on for working, I am keeping the boost at a modest rate.

/ Turbo on YM2000 #29  
This is the one on my little 1110d. I havn't done much testing with it yet as I don't have the pyro hooked up.

Attachments

• 805157-S2400001a.jpg
    805157-S2400001a.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 437
   / Turbo on YM2000 #30  
The turbo is off a Yamaha Seca 600. It's small enought to fit in the palm of your hand. The exhaust pipe is 1-1/4" schedule 40 pipe that I welded up.

Attachments

• 805166-S2400002a.jpg
    805166-S2400002a.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 402