Turbo on YM2000

/ Turbo on YM2000 #41  
Well it's too warm to ice fish and too cold/wet/sloppy to
do much with the tractor right now in Mich. You guys with
pole barns make me jealous! Thank God for this forum
or I'd probaly go insane this winter!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on your turbos fellas. My wheels are turning!
Has anyone ever done a similar mod with a 1500D?

Billy

/ Turbo on YM2000 #42  
sacguy, was that subaru a justy? I think I remember they made some turbo justies. I admittadly don't know everything about turbos.... But I would guess that if you had a wastegate set at say 3lbs boost the size of the turbo wouldn't matter other than a smaller one would "spool-up" much more quickly than a larger one would, meaning more boost more quickly.

/ Turbo on YM2000
Not sure if it was a Justy or not. It was a mini station wagon with 1/2 the motor and twice the doors of what I'm use to. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The motor was a flat 4, sort of like a volkswagon/corvair, but was water cooled. Unsure of the c.i. of a RX7 rotory, but maybe a turbo off one of those might work, but again, those motors rev sort of high.

/ Turbo on YM2000 #44  
/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Have I mentioned lately how much I appreciate this board ?

out-by-gawd-standing!

/ Turbo on YM2000 #45  
With our recent snow fall, I decided to do some snow blowing over the weekend. Unfortunately, the tractor was blowing some oil out of the exhaust. I could see the moisture, but I thought it was just melt water from the snow that was blowing back. The oil is everywhere. It covered the building at least 8' up, you could see it on the ground (it looked like black sand flecks). The tractor is just as covered as I was. Because the oil mixed with the blowing snow and the cold temps it immediately congealed into this thick tar like goo. I'll have to wait for warmer temps so I can clean the tractor and the building. Hopefully, it won't stain the paint, but there's a good chance it will. My jacket is already stained. We washed it several times and the color won't come out. Thankfully the oil was new, so it didn't stain my face. Old diesel oil will stain the skin for a couple of days. The turbo worked really well. I only throttled up to 3/4 throttle, but this thing has way more power than I was expecting. Talking to a turbo shop, it sounds like my oil return line was too small allowing pressure to build on the bearings a leak past the seal. With a larger drain line it's probable the oil leak will go away. The snow blower worked exceptionally well. The snow was dry and rock hard so I got some good distance out of it. The larger pieces were probably flying close to 60'. The drifts around the building were a good 20" deep and the tractor just chewed right through it. Only occasionally would I shift to neutral to allow the engine to recover. I wasn't comfortable fully loading the engine just yet. The power shift is great, but I'm not thrilled about having to use the clutch for the ranges.

Attachments

• 829077-tim_oil3a.jpg
    829077-tim_oil3a.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 317
   / Turbo on YM2000 #46  
You sure it wasn't just slobber? or soot laden water accumulation in the exhaust.?? Soot can really.. really be hard to clean off.. skin included... might look oil.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Turbo on YM2000 #47  
When I was running the tractor, that's what I was telling my self. No, it was definetly oil. I checked the dipstick afterwards and it didn't even register. I added a quart and that got me about half way up - still a half quart low. Now that's with a 2 quart capacity!

/ Turbo on YM2000
Hope the bigger drain line fixes it. I haven't taken any more pics yet, but have been using my tractor quite extensively (actually, my father-in-law has). It pulls a 90 year old IH drag disk around with no problems except for the turning aspect due to light weight. Pulls it in 6th gear with no bogging whatsoever. There has been about 20 hours put on the motor since the turbo add-on and so far it has met expectations. I snagged an air cleaner box off an old Dodge turbo 4 cyl motor, but haven't had time to hook it up yet. I do need to, however, because my air cleaner is quite restrictive (I knew it would be).

My in-laws are visiting from Mexico. My father-in-law was a banker down there, so this farming thing is new to him as well as driving a tractor. Didn't take him too long to get used to it and now I can't get him off the dang thing to drive it myself. I'll take pictures of it working and post them maybe this weekend.

All in all, to me, the turbo was a worth while investment for me. It made the tractor more powerful, smoother, and just as fuel efficient as naturally aspirated. I haven't noticed a negative side to the conversion yet.

/ Turbo on YM2000 #49  
I swapped out the -4 drain for a -6 and the problem was solved. She pulls like a champ with no oil control problems.

/ Turbo on YM2000 #50  
Cord,
Got a pic or two you can post? I'm interested to see how that blower drive came out !

Scott