Tires Turf tires for my Yanmar

/ Turf tires for my Yanmar
OK.... a couple more questions to throw out there.

I was at the orange tractor store today, looking at new tractors to see what tread types, and sizes of turf tires came on them from the factory. I spied a set of 33 inch tall tires, which was the closest i found to my (by my tape measure) 31.5 inch tall 9.50x16 ags. Assuming my tires are slightly worn, and will wear (and shrink in diameter)more in the future... it would seem that actual tire size will vary a bit over the life of a tractor. Assuming one generally uses four wheel drive when tires are slipping/spinning.... and it wouldn't be fair to compare tractors with vehicles using four wheel drive on dry pavement.... would you consider a 33" tall tire (though i didn't have my tape measure with me to actually measure the height) close enough in height to my 9.50X16s to NOT cause driveline issues when using four wheel drive??

And..... does anyone have the bolt pattern / center hole specs handy , as i may have someone locally who can make me some wheels ?

And.... just for the sake of asking.... if my local guy ( a friend who runs his fathers machine shop) who makes custom billet wheels for cars and Harleys.... could make wheels out of aluminum , other than the oxydizing they would take in the winter (which i wouldn't use them in the winter) , is there any reason i wouldn't want aluminum wheels on my tractor (as long as they were built strong enough) ??

I know aluminum wouldn't be cost effective..... but if could do a little horse trading to keep the cost down.......

/ Turf tires for my Yanmar #13  
If you are putting turf tires on for the usual reasons, the Aluminum wheels would just be a plus. Less weight. You will make the tractor polishers jealous.

/ Turf tires for my Yanmar #14  
Not sure this is useful but, I needed turfs for my Mitsubishi MT180H. Found a pair of used tires and wheels that came off a John Deere but I don't know what model. Anyway they are the same diameter (within 1/2") as my 8.00x16s. They are 31-12x15. Fifteen inch wheels with 12" wide tires! The bolt circle was too big and the wheel centers were centered in the rim making them hit my tractor's gear case before seating on the axle. I cut the welds with a grinder, knocked out the centers and had them redrilled to fit my axle bolt pattern. Welded them back in with enough offset to bolt on and clear everything, did a trial fit, and Now I'm painting.

Daddys got a new set of sneakers ! Found a lightly used set of turfs for my tractor. Came off of a YM187. Not sure if it was two, or four wheel drive. Bridgestone 31-15.5-15 rears, and 20-8.00-10 fronts..... mounted on the original wheels, WITH the rear hubs attached !!! Amazing what people have hanging around their barn for the past twenty years, isn't it ??!!! Its supposed to rain here till Friday or so, so i have not had it out to try it in four wheel drive. The rears look pretty close in height to my ags.... but the fronts look noticably shorter. Since these came stock on the 187.... perhaps they will work with no driveline binding? Anyone here got a 187D ? I guess if the diameter of the front tires is an issue.... i'll find out soon enough.

Scott

Attachments

• 876639-Yanmar YM186D 081 (Small).jpg
    876639-Yanmar YM186D 081 (Small).jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,565
   / Turf tires for my Yanmar #16  
Ductape:

I don't have a YM187D, but I do have a YM187 that I bought some years ago with original turffs on it, I do have all the owner manuals, service, parts, bla, bla, bla. The parts manual list all the differant rims and tires sizes for 4x4 and 2 wheel drive.

Whiskey,
I was wondering if the wheel and tire combo i bought was from a "D". The guy i bought them from indicated it was in fact a four wheel drive he had. Assuming there weren't different gear ratios on the 187D as my 186D, (but, perhaps i shouldn't assume !!!) then hopefully the front tires won't try to spin faster, or slower than the rears. The rear turfs are within a half inch of the diameter of the Ags that came on my tractor. The front turfs look to be nearly four inches shorter than my ags..... but perhaps i'm just not good enough with my math to figure out that the ratio works out so that they will cover the same ground in X amount of revolutions. May i ask what your manual lists for a tire size on the 187D ?

Thanks !

/ Turf tires for my Yanmar #18  
Ductape:

YM187D
Option 1/AG Tires
Front Rim 5JA-12
Front Tire 6-12
Rear Rim W7-20
Rear Tire 9.5-20

Option 2/AG Tires
Front Rim 5JA-12
Front Tire 6-12
Rear Rim W11-16
Rear Tire 12.4-16

Option 3/AG Tires
Front Rim DC4JA-12
Front Tire 5-12
Rear Rim W8-16W
Rear Tire 9.5-16

Option 4 / Turf Tires
Front Rim 6.00I-10DC
Front Tire 20 X 8.00-10
Rear Rim 13LB X 15
Rear Tire 31 X 15.50 X 15

This is straight out of the parts manual for a YM187D, others may have a better way of getting rolling circumfrence but my way is to logon to titantire.com (or something like that) and pick my size tire and weather it's turf, AG or R4's and there tire chart will show rolling circumfrence for that tire and then match it with who ever's brand. It's a game of keeping the same number between the front and rear....I think I said that right?

If none of this makes since Pvt. message with a phone # and I can cover more ground talking than typing or fax you the pages right out of the book.

One more thing....I don't know this to be gospel but my understanding is the YM186 & YM187 are the same tractor with the YM187 being the newer version and a little longer.

Pic for ya...this is 2 wheel drive version

Attachments

• 877461-YM187-85small.jpg
    877461-YM187-85small.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 1,528
Whiskey,
Thanks ! I know i'm biased, but that is a nice looking tractor ! I too understood the 186 & 187 were essentially the same, but the 187 was a bit longer with more room in the cockpit. Therefore i would have assumed they shared the same gearing, but perhaps i was wrong. Hopefully someone else can confirm this. My 186D came with a 9.5x16 rear, and 6x12 front..... different than your manual which puts the 9.5x16 with a 5x12... hmmmmmmmmmmm. I will browse around the web a bit to see if i can't come up with a front turf for my 10 inch front wheels that has a closer circumference to my 6x12. Apparently not the simple switcharoo i was hoping for ! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

OK.... according to Firestone's site.....

A 9.5x16 tire has a rolling circumference of 98"
A 31x15.5x15 is 89"
A 6x12 is 69"
So who is a mathematician and can tell me what size turf tire i need to go along with my 31x15.5x15??

98 is to 89 as 69 is to..........

Preferably to fit my ten inch front wheel

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif