twine pricing suppose to rise

/ twine pricing suppose to rise #21  
Truck load prices are $34-36.00 each for 16,000 sisal. Expect the end user price to be $38-40 a bale for this year's twine. There is a substantial amount of carry over twine in Texas and the deep south due to a drought. That twine was purchased about $5 a bale less than this years price.

/ twine pricing suppose to rise #22  
Truck load prices are $34-36.00 each for 16,000 sisal. Expect the end user price to be $38-40 a bale for this year's twine. There is a substantial amount of carry over twine in Texas and the deep south due to a drought. That twine was purchased about $5 a bale less than this years price.

My cousins in SD sent some hay south.. next time that truck comes north - should have some of that twine on it! :thumbsup:

AKfish

/ twine pricing suppose to rise #23  
I love twine threads. Sold all my hay equipment and buy net wrap now. Pure heaven. I heard net wrap is recycled plastic.

/ twine pricing suppose to rise #24  
I'd love to go net wrap, but DANG the price of newer balers....I could buy a truckload of twine!

/ twine pricing suppose to rise #25  
Now you boys are confusing me here. I thought this thread was started on square balers not round balers. Never heard of netwrap for square bales, something new here? Fill me in please.

John Deere has two bill hooks they sell, one is for plastic only and the other is "universal" which will handle sisal.

Personal choice is the plastic as it it consitantly uniform. Sisal is just not made the way it was years ago.

In the long run, get your baler set for plastic and quit worrying about it.

Plastic is about $5 a box more this year for 9600/170

/ twine pricing suppose to rise #26  
Now you boys are confusing me here. I thought this thread was started on square balers not round balers. Never heard of netwrap for square bales, something new here? Fill me in please.

John Deere has two bill hooks they sell, one is for plastic only and the other is "universal" which will handle sisal.

Personal choice is the plastic as it it consitantly uniform. Sisal is just not made the way it was years ago.

In the long run, get your baler set for plastic and quit worrying about it.

Plastic is about $5 a box more this year for 9600/170

I don't know about where you are, but in NY, 16,000 foot twine is round baler twine, not square baler twine.

/ twine pricing suppose to rise #28  
Use some common sense before you get to worried about the price. A $5.00 increase will only amount to $200 annual increase for a 1000 bale producer. I have seen people drive hundreds of miles to get a dollar or two off of a box of twine. If their time has no value, their gas and pickup depreciation more than ate up their savings.

I would be more concerned about the hay waste that comes from sisal twine wrapped hay that is stored outside for more than a few months. One University study showed that you could pay a man $40.00 an hour to do nothing but take off plastic twine or net and still it would be more profitable than outside stored sisal twine. Barn stored hay is a different story.

Net wrap currently costs less per bale than sisal, but more than plastic twine. Because of quicker tie times, net will save fuel vs either type of twine.

Keep it in perspective, string may not be cheap, but it is a small fraction of a producers total cost for a bale of hay.

/ twine pricing suppose to rise #29  
One University study showed that you could pay a man $40.00 an hour to do nothing but take off plastic twine or net and still it would be more profitable than outside stored sisal twine. Barn stored hay is a different story.

I'd be interested to see that study - seriously. I store some of my sisal wrapped round bales outside uncovered (for lack of a net wrap baler and barn space) and I certainly do get some amount of weathering and waste where they sit on the ground. But unless there's plastic twine that's thick enough to keep the bales off the ground and/or keep the weather off the bales, I can't see how the waste is going to be anything but the same.

/ twine pricing suppose to rise #30  
The main waste from hay comes from the wicking on the ground contact part of the hay. Twine and net have very similar spoilage on the upper two thirds of the bale. The loss comes when the ground contact patch becomes bigger when the integrity of the twine breaks down. Plastic twine and net do not break down under most circumstances. When the contact patch becomes larger, think of a deflating tire, the wicking losses go up dramatically.

Net wrap gets way to much credit for the amount of water that it "sheds" as compared to string, but it does a good job of preserving the shape of a bale if it was put up correctly in the first place. The research does not show much difference between net and plastic string if the string is put on at 2 to 3 inch intervals.

The study was done at Univ. of Wisconsin. I will try to find and post a link.