Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #11  
As you can see from my signature, I have 2 1/2 tractors. The Cub was my father-in-law's mowing machine. I purchased a blade for it and it is my snow plow for light stuff. I do light hauling with it and mow my trails (have a z-turn mower for the yard). My jeep is the best second tractor. I don't use the 3 point that much, but it is great for towing and I've even pulled out the NH.
I know I'm lucky to have more than one tractor. I wouldn't want to give up the deluxe tractor now that I have it. But I don't think I'd be without two machines. I owned an 8N and a Ford 4000 before I got the NH. I won't be afraid to buy a good used tractor, as an accessory for that new deluxe tractor.

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #12  
I have the SR80 track machine and Ford 4000. The ASV does the bull work and I finish with the Ford. A combination of track and wheel machines covers a lot of ground. I also have a Polaris Ranger that I use for transportation and snow removal, but I may use the ASV on dirt drives. The ASV suspension is smooth, quiet and it is easy to get spoiled by the enclosed cab and heat during the winter months. Even for the trips to the back 40 to pick up small pines I prefer the SR80.

jmf

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #14  
Bob_Young said:
Just wondering what the thoughts are about making this choice. I've noticed the deluxe tractors with all the bells and whistles are usually rather pricey but still very popular. For the money, you could come close to buying a new basic tractor of the same HP plus a second, smaller, used basic/Ag tractor.

As you can see from the sig. block, I'm into multiple tractors and find it yields lots of flexibility. I drool over the loaded deluxe models, but would hate to give up the capability of being ready to immediately jump on 2 or more different tasks as the situation dictates. If another operator is available, working two rigs can get the work done fast. This helps a lot on field jobs or when haying. Also, with different size machines, it seems there's always something that's well matched to the task.

I'm wondering how many considered the multiple tractor approach and dismissed it in favor of going "deluxe". Also, what your rationale was and your experiences have been. Did you later see a need for another tractor or was the one all you'd ever want?

I'm aware that for some, going deluxe is a necessity. 100 degree heat, allergies or breathing problems can lock you into a cab. The deluxe rigs can also keep us tractoring when disabilities associated with age or injuries kick in. Also the Ag guys who spend 10 to 12 hours a day in the field, day after day, need the cabs and options for productivity. My question is addressed more toward occasional users where such constraints aren't a factor.

Hope this doesn't sound judgmental, not trying to start anything. Just trying to tap the brain trust for information and experience. Would like to/may have to go the deluxe tractor route meself :)
Bob

Three years ago I didn't know squat about tractors. I bought 10 acres of flat pasture land, had a house/shop/garage built and needed to get serious about maintaining the property.

After considering used tractors (Fords, Yanmars) I decided to buy a new Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17hp pto) with the LA302 FEL (4-ft wide bucket). Got it for $12600 plus tax (10% down, 0% for 36 months) with a 3-year warrenty to cover any early life problems. Figure buying new instead of used that I bought some peace of mind since at that time I knew nothing about tractor repair.

Don't know if you'd call the 7510 "deluxe" but it is to me.

Turns out that the 7510 has been a pretty good fit to my needs. It's powerful enough to use the FEL and implements like the middle buster plow, 4-ft brush hog and 4-ft box blade pretty efficiently while being small enough to work in tight spaces around the property and in the almond orchard.

In the 30 months I've owned the 7510 I figure it's come near to paying for itself doing jobs around the place like excavating for walkways and patios,

DSCF0157Medium.jpg

Patio-1.jpg

plowing and rototilling about 3/4 acre landscape area,

DSCF0209Medium.jpg

hauling material around the place, mowing the weeds with a brush hog.

After working with the 7510 for a year I got a good case of tractor fever and in July06 bought a 1964 MF-135 diesel (45 hp engine, 38hp pto, 33 hp on the drawbar). Cost: $3600. Had a lota fun getting the 135 cleaned up, installing new gauges/wiring, repainting, general servicing etc. A great way to learn tractors.

Now I have my "big" tractor for jobs like stump pulling

DSCF0022Small.jpg

Present plans are to put a hay crop in next year on 7 acres using the 135 to do the tilling and heavy pulling chores. Having fun finding the pre-owned tractor implements I'll need for that venture, like a sicklebar mower ($150 for an Allis Chalmers 80T pull mower)

DSCF0062Small.jpg

Next weekend I'll be heading for an auction to see if I can pickup a few more implements I'll need.

My neighbor recently bought a new Kubota L4630 (45 hp engine, 39 hp pto) with a 6-ft wide FEL and lotsa whistles and bells. Probably cost at least twice what my 7510 ran. Nice tractor, but too large and expensive for my needs.

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #15  
I'm in the 2 tractor camp myself. I have 18 acres of very mixed land (fields, wetland& forest). The first tractor I bought was a 1953 Ford Jubilee. Not a fancy tractor by any means but more than enough for a 5' brush mower and 5' rear blade. I converted it from a 6volt positive ground to 12 volt neg. This tractor, despite it's age, starts better than any modern fuel injected vehicle I've ever owned. The combination lack of power steering and bad shoulders led to the search for a smaller tractor. I ended up with a older B7100 HST with a FEL. Although it doesn't have the power steering, it is manageable for the moment. Both of these tractors are older (almost 60 & 25 years ) and are in the "not pleasant to look at, but strong as a bull" category. Maybe a little later in life when I don't have the time or inclination to the do the work that an older tractor demands, I might trade up to something a little fancier. For the moment though, working on them is all part of the experience that keeps me sane.

Cheers, Erik

P.S. The Wheelhorse has recently been sold, but like the others, was older (1973) and very solid.

Attachments

• Tractor and Mower.jpg
    Tractor and Mower.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 196
  • Wheelhorse 1.jpg
    Wheelhorse 1.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 167
  • Tractor-and-Trailer.jpg
    Tractor-and-Trailer.jpg
    569.5 KB · Views: 174
   / Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #16  
Interesting thread. I thought I had all my tractor needs figured out, ordered a Kubota L3240 w/FEL one month ago, waited waited waited.... and it started to snow. Called the dealer three days ago, he sent out a used Kubota B7500 w/FEL to placate me, fired it up two days ago and am having a blast! the 48" width fits through my 100 year old barn (even makes a couple of turns and comes out the other side!), the ROPS hasn't hit anything yet :rolleyes: and the 5 gallon tank is still 3/4 full after nearly 4 hours of use. Wonder how pissed the dealer would be if I cancelled the Grand L, bought this and shopped for an old Ag tractor to pull me out of the muck.... Just thinkin'. ;)

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor
LBrown, you did not disappoint. Knew I could count on you :)

I'm aware that everyone has different constraints....sometimes money, sometimes space, or sometimes the "rules of engagement". Still it's sad to see a reliable older or smaller tractor traded off for the latest and greatest, when you know the two could complement each other on the job.

Have been fixin' up the Ford 2000 with trade-in in mind; but then suddenly asked myself, Why? Now that its problems have been addressed, it's as reliable & useful as ever.

Don't the teenage kids want to operate these things anymore? Seems that while Dad operates the new one, son Joey or his sister Sue could cut his/her teeth on the 8N or whatever. Maybe I'm livin' in the past.
Bob

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #18  
It's simple... Get what you need, want and can afford.

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #19  
Botabill said:
It's simple... Get what you need, want and can afford.

Are those attributes inclusive or potentially exclusive? I mean, do you have to need it and want it and afford it or will just one or two of the three be sufficient justification?

Lots of tractors are bought because of just two of them and strictly speaking some are bought on just one justification (want.)

Do you propose all three must be present simultaneously? Want and afford seem to rule the roost with need a distant third.

Pat