Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #31  
I know what ys mean .
andrewj said:
Get two.
*The older I get, the harder it is to take implements off.
I'd love to have a tractor for each implement. haha.
I'm almost there with the BX23 and the 2 BX1500s.
I can do Loader and BH work.
I can also push snow dirt slag sand and gravel, do mowing with 2 mowers , till and pull a trailer and never change an implement.:cool:

*I know what ya mean.
I seem to be older now than I was 41 years ago when I Bought the old Bolens.

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #32  
Every since I started my "tractor life", I always had several around. At times I'd have 3 or 4 "keepers" and 3 or 4 more that were "just passing through". Once, back in the late 80's it was pointed out to me (by my wife) that I had 15 of 'em at once. In all fairness, 12 had for sale signs on them.

As time went along, I started to grow tired of buying batteries, filling fuel tanks, checking air pressure in tires, moving 6 tractors to get the one I needed out of the barn, ect. I decided that it was time to cut down the size of the fleet. One or two "keepers" and no more than 3 or 4 sellers was plenty.

Then we moved to a smaller place. I actually talked myself into believing ONE tractor would be enough. So, all but one running tractor went to my sons place. I've spent the last 4 months with just the one tractor to take care of my 45 acres. And you know what?

I GOTTA HAVE ANOTHER TRACTOR!!!!!!

Having 2 or more is habit forming. And VERY handy.

I vote tw....fiv.....I vote a dozen tractors!

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor
Soundguy said:
You bring up a good point. many times I've mentioned getting a smaller tractor, plus a good used big one. Sometimes by just sacrificing unneeded 'chrome' you get more practicality. for instance... As long as you don't have a leg problem where you need a flat platorm in the operator area.. then you can usually get a cheaper tractor where you straddle the transmission.. etc.

Soundguy

Yeah, I got a leg problem, Chris. I think someone's pulling it

If not, what's this?
Tractor Make & Model:
ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N,2N,NAA,660,850,5000, IH CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G'
:)

FWJ, your cry has been heard. The TBN emergency response team is even now swinging into action to tell you what you should be spending your money on....

Early results are indicating an Oliver 77 diesel, preferably restored so as to look nice in pictures :)
Bob

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #34  
Bob_Young said:
Just wondering what the thoughts are about making this choice. I've noticed the deluxe tractors with all the bells and whistles are usually rather pricey but still very popular. For the money, you could come close to buying a new basic tractor of the same HP plus a second, smaller, used basic/Ag tractor.

As you can see from the sig. block, I'm into multiple tractors and find it yields lots of flexibility. I drool over the loaded deluxe models, but would hate to give up the capability of being ready to immediately jump on 2 or more different tasks as the situation dictates. If another operator is available, working two rigs can get the work done fast. This helps a lot on field jobs or when haying. Also, with different size machines, it seems there's always something that's well matched to the task.

I'm wondering how many considered the multiple tractor approach and dismissed it in favor of going "deluxe". Also, what your rationale was and your experiences have been. Did you later see a need for another tractor or was the one all you'd ever want?

I'm aware that for some, going deluxe is a necessity. 100 degree heat, allergies or breathing problems can lock you into a cab. The deluxe rigs can also keep us tractoring when disabilities associated with age or injuries kick in. Also the Ag guys who spend 10 to 12 hours a day in the field, day after day, need the cabs and options for productivity. My question is addressed more toward occasional users where such constraints aren't a factor.

Hope this doesn't sound judgmental, not trying to start anything. Just trying to tap the brain trust for information and experience. Would like to/may have to go the deluxe tractor route meself :)
Bob

This is like one hot wife or two just so so wives. Go for one hot one so when your riding around you will be happier. Riding the tractor all you sicko's.

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #35  
andrewj said:
a delux tractor? what is that? if you want delux, get a porsche. A tractor moves dirt, nothing that moves dirt is "deluxe."

Respectfully.. i think you are mistaken. Within the same manufacturer line.. I've seen some models sporting sooooo many bells, whistle, gongs and chrome vs other.. that it is not even funny.

I'll speak about one of the lines I'm more familiar with.

Ford for instance. you have the 10 series, 15, 20, 25, 30 .. etc.

Besides age, you mainly see options as differences within a specific size. For instance.. a 1910 will be more spartan and basic compaired to a 1920.

A 3010s will be more basif than a 3930.. etc..

Things like remote options, tranny options, operator paltform options, dash and gauge setup.. etc.. etc. All effect cost and creature comfort.. and in most cases.. have less impact on hp to the pto or the ground...

Soundguy

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #36  
Uh... I'm not sure what your point is... I'm ADVOCATING having multiple tractors. I practice what I preach.. I got multiple tractors..

Soundguy

Bob_Young said:
Yeah, I got a leg problem, Chris. I think someone's pulling it

If not, what's this?
Tractor Make & Model:
ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N,2N,NAA,660,850,5000, IH CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G'
:)

FWJ, your cry has been heard. The TBN emergency response team is even now swinging into action to tell you what you should be spending your money on....

Early results are indicating an Oliver 77 diesel, preferably restored so as to look nice in pictures :)
Bob

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor
Chris,
The way it was written sounded like you might be thinking of someday getting a second tractor.

Either way, no problem. I like dry humor :thumbsup:
Bob

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #38  
Scrounger said:
This is like one hot wife or two just so so wives. Go for one hot one so when your riding around you will be happier. Riding the tractor all you sicko's.

And then there are the folks who want 3 or more used ones instead of one with ALL the bells and whistles.

Right on dude!!!

Pat

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #39  
After 7 days, 5 snowfalls and 8 hours on a 'basic' loaner tractor, I am ready for a 'deluxe'. Who would've thought a loader mounted joystick would aggravate a rotator cuff??! :eek:

OK, let's here it from the peanut gallery of one.....

/ Two basic tractors vs. one deluxe tractor #40  
davitk said:
After 7 days, 5 snowfalls and 8 hours on a 'basic' loaner tractor, I am ready for a 'deluxe'. Who would've thought a loader mounted joystick would aggravate a rotator cuff??! :eek:

OK, let's here it from the peanut gallery of one.....

I'm fresh out of peanuts but I offer my congrats on figuring out what you want before getting stuck with an untried guess. I just bought what I thought looked right as regards what I thought my requirements were and luckily it was JUST RIGHT but it could have been a big hassle/mistake too because I didn't try before buy.

I've never had a rotator cuff problem but by observation I can tell it is NOT FUN. I hope you get something you really like and works good for you (painlessly), irrespective of anything any of the pundits may opine.

Pat