two machine solution?

/ two machine solution? #21  
Like most of you guys I had to learn from experience. I started off with a 2320, MMM, BH and blower. What a PITA, Steve is right 8 in 1 sucks!

I just went to a bigger tractor 3320 with a 445 ztrac. Much better and we're using a 990 for implements so the 3320 will be a dedicated TLB if it ever gets here!

I never owned a Shopsmith, I could see the problems and all the set ups just to get through one project. I use a Delta saw, dedicated band saws and planers.
For metal I run a Maximat 11 lathe (english) and a Maximat V10P (metric) as a dedicated milling machine. It's the cats meow. My Miller 210 has 2 guns and two tanks so I can just pick up one gun for steel and anotheer for aluminum which saves me the pain of switching spools for every project. Besides you really can't run aluminum without a spool gun unless you like jammed wire! If you do a lot of different jobs like I do there is no comparison to a dedicated machine.

Even for my electronics work I use dedicated Agilent equipment. The all in ones suck there too!

I know lots of guys can't afford to go this route and I suggest you go with the a very good machine for your major tasks and low priced used that you may have to do a little work on for the rest of the machines. You can gradually work up to better machines for the low priced used ones over time.

The thing about maintaining machines is that you'll do more maint. over a longer time with dedicated machines. You won't use your tractor for mowing so you'll extend the time between oil changes for example.

The other thing is that if you're using lots of machines it's best to be able to do your own work to some degree. Ok maybe not like me who works down to the component level and rebuilds boxes when he has to, but at least be able to do all your scheduled oil and filter changes and maybe an axel bearing or seal if one goes bad.

Steve, I know the SCMI's, sweet saws!

Rob

/ two machine solution? #22  
Rob,
One of the things that is a large consideration is the cost of upgrades. I prefer to circumvent this costly upgrading by buying right the first time. Like most others here that may mean waiting longer to make a purchase or having to bite the bullet and spend more than I initially wanted to.

In the last few years I have been alot more careful about which equipment I should buy. It used to be when I was a kid that I could walk thru a hardware store and wanted everything in there.:laughing: Now I seldom see much of anything I wan't or need. I now recognize I have had a tool addiction most of my life and have built up more tools than money.:eek:

One of the outcomes of all of this is I have been able to make some decisions based on use of tools though. As an example I separate the Deere equipment into what I consider useful sizes/models. I prefer a separate riding mower without unnecessary added weight, a tractor which should be several sizes larger than the mower and the backhoe and loader should be another separate machine. Don't expect this to be ideal to everyone else though but it works for me.

/ two machine solution? #23  
I now recognize I have had a tool addiction most of my life and have built up more tools than money.:eek:

Steve,

We all have tool addictions here! That's what I love about this place, everyone is doing something, building something, plowing something, etc.

We're all into tractors and maybe that's a mind set that's just an extension of what the "Mother Earth News", when they were a real magazine used to call, "them that's doin' "

Rob

/ two machine solution? #24  
I am also a proponent of a two machine look, or even a three machine look. I had a 3720 and 757 combo; and now have a 4520, 2320 and 720X (my dad's--I bought it) for specific tasks. The only problem here is storage. I have limited building space on my property given the hillside and innumerable trees, many of which I do not want to cut down simply for my convenience. This process of having a dedicated machine for each job is nice, but also nice and expensive in many cases. If you are like me, I need specific tools when I need them, but really don't put enough hours on any individually to justify each one. Storing multiple machines for some of us is a pain. I keep my 4520 at my folks mountain place; the 720 at their other place, a Gator at their other place, and my little tractor (2320) at my place. This works OK until I need one at a place other than where it is. Two hours one way is not that much fun when you have to get a machine quickly. So, one must be able to store his machinery if he takes this approach which adds often another layer of expense and trouble to the equation. For this reason, the Swiss Army knife approach is always going to be a popular one for reasons other than that directly related to the job at hand at that moment.

John M

/ two machine solution? #25  
Hello, my name is Pete and I'm a tool addict :laughing:.

jcmseven, looks like your next project is an outbuilding. I think your lineup is great :thumbsup:.

Rob-D, I'm right there with you on Agilent test equipment. The only exception is I got a MSO7034A and mixing the analog and digital (vs. separate scope and logic analyzer) is a big win. Everything else is one function only, and I have two of a lot of stuff. But this is a tractor forum so...

There does seem to be a common thread here of slowly building up what you need, and part of that process is actually figuring out what you need.

I know of two instances where a young pup came into a full "stable" of toys and tools. In both cases everything was in disrepair in short order. I know of several people who over a 20 year period went from 1 OS piece of equipment to many, most with cabs and a big honky place to part them. So as annoying as it is to be working your way up the tool food chain, there seems to be some learning that goes on which is important. Maybee it's just as simple as you take care of what you've worked for better than what you've been given.

Enough philosophy, as for the OPs question I think the answer is:

A multi-machine solution is great. You build into it over a period of time, and during that period of time you learn what you really need. And if you're really lucky, about the time your body says "Sorry, I'm just not going to do that anymore" you can get the tool that lets you keep on doin'.

I know the definition of a perfect financial plan is when your check to the mortuary bounces. I wonder if the definition of a perfect tool addict's life is when you have a heart attack just after you finish digging your grave... Here's hoping that year is a long time off for all of us.

Pete

/ two machine solution? #26  
Pete,
You do know they have a special bucket design just for digging graves.:laughing:

I think I am going to pass on buying it though.:D

/ two machine solution? #28  
1*The biggest advantage I see in (2) machines is tires.
2*As far as more maintenance with multiple tractors, not necessarily so. I currently have (2) tractors for on the lawn and (4) for off.
3*Splitting the work up with multiple tractors prevents any one from being overworked and really limits breakdowns compared to what would occur if trying to do everything with one machine.
4*Most maintenence is done according to hours on the machine and if the work volume is the same then so is the maintenance regardless of how many machines you use.
5*Also, multiple tractors reduces or eliminates time changing implements and lets other folks help out getting the work done.
6*I do believe that (6) tractors is a little over the top however and I am currently trying to unload one of my off-lawn models. I have a buyer lined up and as soon as he gathers the cash (he has about 3/4) he is going to come over and pick it up.
1*AGs would work fine on all 3 of mine but one of the BX1500s came with turfs .
They are ok but if i had my druthers I'd druther have AGs on it also.
2*-3*I agree : Good points!
4*People often over look this fact.
5*This these were 2 of the biggest advantages that appealed to me
6* That may be a bit toward the outer edge.

/ two machine solution? #29  
1*I don't use a lawn mower to till or dig out stumps, a mower needs to be light, agile, and have a very small turning radius.
2*I prefer to leave the hoe in place .
3*After many years of using different equipment I have narrowed it down to a good lawn mower and am planning on purchaseing a Deere X749 for this.

I find this combo does a fine job concerning 1* and 2*.
3* The last last 2 pictures is what I wound up with while looking at the X749.
Let me know how you like the X749 as that is my dream mower right now.

1*- One point that I don't necessarily agree with - that a belt driven mowing tractor will only last a decade.
2* One major advantage that saves me considerable time is that my wife and youngest son can work one or both machines and allow me to work on something else. More chores taken care of at the same time.
AKfish
1*I have 2 belt driven Bolens still going after over 40 years each.
2*That is a nice benefit but it takes more insurance premium dollars to do the same task.

1* All I can say is if you are willing to change over one machine to do all the things you want, then go for it. I am not.
1*One thing favoring the 1 machine approach is you don't have to buy 2 or 3 cabs to reap the benefits of a cab.

1* (2) Tractors lets you have the best tire for every job - turfs on the lawn, R1's off.
2* Transmissions can also be optimized for on and off lawn usage, with a hydro being better for lawn mowing,
3* but a gear is better off the lawn,.
4*As far as more maintenance with multiple tractors, not necessarily so.
5*Splitting the work up with multiple tractors prevents any one from being overworked and really limits breakdowns compared to what would occur if trying to do everything with one machine.
Most maintenence is done according to hours on the machine and
6*if the work volume is the same then so is the maintenance regardless of how many machines you use. 7*Also, multiple tractors reduces or eliminates time changing implements and lets other folks help out getting the work done.
8*Maintenence can usually be done inside when weather is unsuitable for outside work but having multiple tractors ready to go lets you make maximum use of times when weather and field conditions are favorable.
1*I've found R1s to be the best choice for compacts and S-CUTS.
2*
3*Unless you have Back and or leg problems.
4*
5*Good point.
6*Correct - 400 hours is 400 hours be it on 1 or 4 tractors.
7*Very true.
8*Another good point.