two machine solution?

/ two machine solution? #31  
1*I've found R1s to be the best choice for compacts and S-CUTS.

That's a relative statement. We've beat this horse to death R4's are more than fine for some people who drive on lawns a lot. Yes, they aren't the best for certain conditions but there are ways around that. Loaded tires for example.
Not everyone has the money for several machines, we have to accept that. That's why Shopsmith still sells multitools.

Rob

Last edited:
   / two machine solution? #32  
The R-1's that Lee likes on his BX are a much different animal than the R-1's that come on larger tractors. They really are more like bar turfs......... good traction, but a lot of give that larger tires don't have. The traction ribs are much shorter too, and that helps prevent excessive damage. So, in a way, both are right.

/ two machine solution? #33  
Not everyone has the money for several machines, we have to accept that. That's why Shopsmith still sells multitools.Rob
Exactly, not everyone has the money. When you don't have you improvise. Some multitools are useful while others are just plain gimmicks. I liked the shopsmith as a lathe because it had the variable speed drive. Spend 5 minutes changing over to drill a 30 second hole, no thanks. It's easy if you have the money, but then you complain about the maintenance. If you don't have the money you brag about what you can do with practically nothing. Somewhere there is a happy medium and that can vary with what you choose to take care of. Do you mow the woods, cut acres of grass because you have a big mower? I got a ZTM and now mow more, and my neighbors too because I can and the time factor is minimal. Tool junky, you bet "tools and materials" was my mantra for years and it has paid off. Scrimped in other areas. What always has appealed to me is "clever", Like the centering device for the quick hitch, so simple and why did I not think of that! Hats off again,:thumbsup: that to me is the stuff to live for, not to collect the same stuff everyone else has just because they do. Ask the question, what do I need? Can I make something better than I can buy, or cheaper, or improve something? Maybe it matters not what you have but what you can do with it. In the end..Tractors and Ingenuity Rock!: My 2cents:

/ two machine solution? #34  
Exactly, not everyone has the money. When you don't have you improvise. Some multitools are useful while others are just plain gimmicks. I liked the shopsmith as a lathe because it had the variable speed drive. Spend 5 minutes changing over to drill a 30 second hole, no thanks. It's easy if you have the money, but then you complain about the maintenance. If you don't have the money you brag about what you can do with practically nothing. Somewhere there is a happy medium and that can vary with what you choose to take care of. Do you mow the woods, cut acres of grass because you have a big mower? I got a ZTM and now mow more, and my neighbors too because I can and the time factor is minimal. Tool junky, you bet "tools and materials" was my mantra for years and it has paid off. Scrimped in other areas. What always has appealed to me is "clever", Like the centering device for the quick hitch, so simple and why did I not think of that! Hats off again,:thumbsup: that to me is the stuff to live for, not to collect the same stuff everyone else has just because they do. Ask the question, what do I need? Can I make something better than I can buy, or cheaper, or improve something? Maybe it matters not what you have but what you can do with it. In the end..Tractors and Ingenuity Rock!: My 2cents:

I agree with most of what you have written, and enjoy building new implements too. I think time is more valuable than money or seems that way wery often. I know for a fact if I had more time of my own I would use my tractors and build alot more implements.

I also don't think it matters much what you can do with your equipment as much as whether or not you enjoy what you are doing.