Buying Advice Ugg.. How did you owners ever come to a decision?

/ Ugg.. How did you owners ever come to a decision?
Thank you very much everyone for taking the time to share your experiences and advice, I'm glad to hear that in general all the machines i'm considering are believed to be adequate as far as initial quality is concerned. So that leaves it to Dealer service, Warranty and Price. To be fair to the JD dealer I was dealing with the used manager for 9 Green diamond locations as the sales guys were out when i was there..so he was likely just out of his element a bit... I'll have to survey a few of the local JD owners to get a feel for the dealer's after sale commitment. As far as the jerky hitch on the standard L series kubota I'll have to try out the new ones they have up there. Still good to hear that you guys are satisfied with them though and no no i can't really see myself boom ploing an engine out. Does anyone else feel the little GL3240 may be a little under powered for its weight? I remember the little 20 hp kioti i've used on occasion it seemed to have ample power and I'm told its quite heavy for its HP rating.

I noticed no one commented on their experience with the JD4105 .. anyone got one? .. it seems to get overlooked either for a smaller higher end 20 series or perhaps people in that price point bite the bullet and move right on up to the 4120

Thanks again folks and keep it coming..all good stuff...
Dave
"JD La135 special edition".. lol

/ Ugg.. How did you owners ever come to a decision? #22  
Dave

Hey I have one of those too! love it:thumbsup:

James K0UA

/ Ugg.. How did you owners ever come to a decision? #23  
Just another note for you to consider. I live in NJ and have 3 Kubota dealers within 25 miles. It might sound unnecessary, but if you need to find a new dealer because one is unhelpful/unfriendly/goes out of business, then it's nice to have the option of a second dealer nearby.

For example, one local dealer has an excellent service dept., but they're small and get backed up often. It can sometimes take 30 DAYS to get an appointment for non-emergent issues. There's another dealer neraby with a gigantic service department. I can usually drop off a machine without an appointment and have it looked at same day. They can also pick up my machine or perform same day field service. So if you're going to depend upon your tractor, strongly consider which service departments are close to you and capable.

/ Ugg.. How did you owners ever come to a decision? #24  
1 - Researched for quite some time - got a TBN education.
2 - Figured out what were popular models that many were happy with in the hp range I was looking at
3 - Once I determined size and which brands, then I began looking at used and approx. what they were selling for (looked at many completed Ebay auctions) - figured approx. price to expect to be able to buy one for.
4 - Now it's time to look at some machines - looked at several before finding one that appeared to be in overall good condition and price was in my range.
5 - Lastly, and most importantly IMHO, don't pay more than I think it could be sold for at a later date - Fortunately (really unfortunately) I was able to own and use it for a year, then sell for what I had invested in it. Basically used it free for a year.

Problem now is I thought I could do without it, thought my work was done. Two weeks after selling, I wish I had it back. Oh well, somebody has another one for sale and I am better equipped than before - Many thanks to TBN!

/ Ugg.. How did you owners ever come to a decision? #25  
I had the same problems when i bought my tractor a few months ago. My John Deere dealer..the one i bought my last tractor from, refused to give me 1 cent off of the MFG suggested price....even for cash. He also took 3 days of calling to find out how tall the cab was...3 days of calling. I probibly should have checked at another JD dealership, but that was 45 miles further away.

I liked the local Kubota dealer and liked the tractor, but the price was just too much.

I loved the Kioti i finally purchased, got along great with the dealer and hes been selling them and working on them for 8 years. The price was substantially less then either JD or Kubota, with an additional 2500 off for all cash. Some people say the Kioti will be worth less if i resale it...but i paid less for it so that doesn't matter.

NO SALESMAN should be cold and standoffish....never. I'm a businessman and i know if I'm cold and uncaring, i lose clients. Well the same goes for them. I don't care if i know what i want. If they want my money, they better care about my needs. PERIOD.

/ Ugg.. How did you owners ever come to a decision? #26  
Does anyone else feel the little GL3240 may be a little under powered for its weight? I remember the little 20 hp kioti i've used on occasion it seemed to have ample power and I'm told its quite heavy for its HP rating.

Dave

The only GL3240 owner who I can remember who has commented on not enough power was working in the hills with a BH and it was a little slow going uphill.

I don't own one, but used a 32 HP Ford for quite a few years and while it was OK, I need/want more power, but we have a lot of ground. Others will be happy with them.

/ Ugg.. How did you owners ever come to a decision? #27  
I have the little Grand (L3240GST) and have not found a problem with--not enough power. It did slow in RPM when I was tilling MUD with my brand new tiller...:confused: But that was my fault- I couldnt stand it and wanted to try my new tiller out at full 6inches one pass depth. :confused2: Other than that I have not had any problems out of it.. Now I wanted the 3940 but price was the difference for me.. But I am not at ALL dissatisfied with the power of the little Grand!.. Excellent tractor that is heavy-larger than the L3200-L3400 and has all the opitions.. Life is Grand!

ANdyG

/ Ugg.. How did you owners ever come to a decision? #28  
Kubota L3240.... but I would go for the L3940!

I prefer to pick out the best machine... and then worry about the dealer. If the machine is of good quality.... you won't need the dealer!

Deere is a little big for the britches. If I was buying a 50+ tractor I would consider a Deere. But for under 50 hp Kubota is the only way to go in my opinion.

I have a L3830 with 600 hrs on it. It is an awesome machine.... and I design machines for a living. It is built very well and is tough as nails. There's a reason the Bob Cat company uses Kubota diesels in their equipment!