UHMW recommendations

/ UHMW recommendations #1  

dnw64

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 Cab
Planning to line my chute with it, as well as make the chute rotation holddowns out of it.

McMaster does sell a "Ultra Weather Resistance" variation, but the thinnest it comes in is 1/4" which I just is too thick for the chute lining(I was thinking 1/8", which is available with an adhesive back?). I would plan to use the 1/2" thick to make the holddowns for the chute (cut a slot in the edge so it has UHMW both above and below).

All the other types they offer show "Outside use: No". I'm guessing it's because it's not resistant to UV, and that for the limited exposure it would get mounted in a chute that's stored in a garage when not in use, it would be fine. Temperature rating is -20 to +180ーF so that shouldn't be a factor.

The also have an "Extra Slippery" variety, but it's made so by filling it with oil. My thought is that may actually be a slight deterrent for snow/ice sliding off. And it is also available no thinner than 1/4".

Any thoughts?

/ UHMW recommendations #2  
I imagine 1/4" would still bend easily enough if your chute is curved, perhaps the only issue is the additional cost. How much for the 1/4" sheet? I agree UV damage isn't an issue for you.

/ UHMW recommendations
For the most part I really like how McMaster works. For a basic item type, such as Plastics, there are a whole bunch of parameters you can chose on the left side such as thickness, width, color, grade, etc, and as you make selections it refines the list.

McMaster-Carr

For a 1/4 x 24 x 48 Ultra Weather Resistant it's $47 (plus shipping, which is likely to be outrageous with UPS's current billing policy).

If I got the 1/8" regular grade you can get it in 6" wide strips (I haven't measured - blower is not nearby ATM but I'm guessing that would do = M-F/Kubota/RAD 2360) by the foot in lengths up to 100' (I guess it's rolled) for $9.17/Foot with adhesive backing or $7.74 without adhesive. I was going to get the adhesive back figuring that if it stays stuck I not only won't have to bother with hardware and drilling holes, but if it doesn't it's nothing more than I would have had to do in the first place if I got it without adhesive. Would make sure the surface is nice and clean.

/ UHMW recommendations #4  
If the adhesive fails while you're running, could the plastic panel drop down and hit the fan? Or is the opening too small?

/ UHMW recommendations #5  
Adhesive backed?? I'm skeptical of that holding much since these polys don't like to stick to anything but maybe they think you'll be using screws or bolts as well. 1/4 thick poly material does not like to be bent.

/ UHMW recommendations
If the adhesive fails while you're running, could the plastic panel drop down and hit the fan? Or is the opening too small?

I would plan to install it during the summer to give it plenty of time to learn its new shape. I would think if it were going to fail it would happen early on.

During use I would expect that the force of snow going through it would be much stronger than gravity.

/ UHMW recommendations
Adhesive backed?? I'm skeptical of that holding much since these polys don't like to stick to anything but maybe they think you'll be using screws or bolts as well. 1/4 thick poly material does not like to be bent.

I hadn't thought about the fact that the adhesive also has to stick to the UHMW... Then again, if they're* selling it I am assuming they've figured it out.

Yeah I was thinking 1/4" might be too thick to be practical. It is a thermoplastic so it could probably be coaxed into place with the help of a heat gun or a session in the oven but don't see why I should bother when thinner material is available.

*If it was just "some place" I found on the internet I wouldn't necessarily trust them, but McMaster in particular is a reputable company and I've never gotten anything from them that didn't meet expectations. Yet...

/ UHMW recommendations #8  
At my job, I have spent much time buying, cutting, and installing poly's. I love this stuff and have my own stock of it. I found the 1/4 thick on the difficult side to evenly heat and form. Nonetheless, I'm not sure how wide the piece is that you'll need to bend. I have done 3/8 but it was around 8" wide. Ask if you'd like to see a photo of that.

/ UHMW recommendations #9  
I'd use countersunk flat head hardware , like 1/8 or 3/16 and only at the bottom of the snow chute. Perhaps like 9 ea in 2 rows., 5 in 1st and 4 next.
Also consider only lining the back side as that is where most resistance will be. (just look at missing paint from sand and pebbles for confirmation)

As to actual material, 1/8 would be adequate for a lining but difficult to attach so probably 3/6 is better.

Another consideration is the fact that there is a slight void where the chute meets the fan chamber. A shaped strip of sturdy flat (3/4 X 1/8) could be used to clamp the liner firmly to the chute with the balance of the liner simply loose kinda like a flag in the wind. In effect anchoring the poly at the base.
Blowing snow will position it snugly and it won't come lose.

/ UHMW recommendations #10