Oil & Fuel Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #91  
It is surprising that the European specs for diesel are higher then ours, especially with some much of the fuel injection components and systems being European even in our so called American vehicles.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #93  
Something to be aware of in his video all the fuel had wax particulates some suspended, some which had settled to the bottom.
None of that would pass thru a good fuel filter, that will be the soft sludge found packed around your fuel filter.
I thing I didn't hear was the dosing rate that he was using.
Also for -20 the Power Serve in the white bottle calls for doubling the dosage.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #94  
Something to be aware of in his video all the fuel had wax particulates some suspended, some which had settled to the bottom.
None of that would pass thru a good fuel filter, that will be the soft sludge found packed around your fuel filter.
I thing I didn't hear was the dosing rate that he was using.
Also for -20 the Power Serve in the white bottle calls for doubling the dosage.

I agree. I like most of his videos, but this one was lacking for more accurate cold testing. The slightest clouding, or waxing, will plug the filters fast. I'd like to know the dosage he used and at what temperature each brand started to cloud by pouring through filters. A great test would be pumping from a container in a freezer, through a fuel filter, and measuring flow. Then adjust the freezer to set temps, lower and lower, with individual flow tests at each temperature.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #95  
I had an older (1997) truck when the ULSD came out, built way before this fuel was considered..
I was worried about the loss of lubricity, so I started putting in a quart of 2 stroke oil at every
fillup. May not have helped anything but my peace of mind, but that truck has almost 300,000
miles now, and never had an injection pump issue

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #97  
I agree. I like most of his videos, but this one was lacking for more accurate cold testing. The slightest clouding, or waxing, will plug the filters fast. I'd like to know the dosage he used and at what temperature each brand started to cloud by pouring through filters. A great test would be pumping from a container in a freezer, through a fuel filter, and measuring flow. Then adjust the freezer to set temps, lower and lower, with individual flow tests at each temperature.

I hear a lot about fuel system water and wax on forums, but have never seen either in our fuel.

It might depend on the diesel fuel available in different parts of the country. We've been running two diesel trucks and 3 diesel tractors for 40 years now, and I don't believe I've ever changed the fuel filter in any of them more often than once a decade. And never once has there been any sediment or clogging of the filter.

Most of the filters bowls are clear enough that you can see if there is anything accumulating in the bottom there like water or waxes. I've never seen either. Plus, I've several times now over the years put fuel samples out in the barn in real cold weather just to see what would happen and never seen any change in the fuel.

Mountain weather can be cold but the climate is dry. We use regular automotive diesel from any of the local filling stations, nothing special. Usually the pickup has half a dozen or more 5 gallon containers kicking around in the back that we try to keep filled.
It's petrol diesel....although Colorado grows a lot of corn, you don't see bio-diesel much, or at all.
I've heard there's a private station in downtown Denver that sells bio-diesel, but think you have to be a member and make an appointment to buy from them, so it's not a popular fuel. Most of us just run pump diesel. It's cheap enough.

We do run an additive sometimes - especially in the summer we use XPD when we are going to be working the machines hard or on long truck trips. I don't know if it does anything worthwhile, but it doesn't seem to hurt.
rScotty

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #98  
I hear a lot about fuel system water and wax on forums, but have never seen either in our fuel.

It might depend on the diesel fuel available in different parts of the country. We've been running two diesel trucks and 3 diesel tractors for 40 years now, and I don't believe I've ever changed the fuel filter in any of them more often than once a decade. And never once has there been any sediment or clogging of the filter.

Most of the filters bowls are clear enough that you can see if there is anything accumulating in the bottom there like water or waxes. I've never seen either. Plus, I've several times now over the years put fuel samples out in the barn in real cold weather just to see what would happen and never seen any change in the fuel.

Mountain weather can be cold but the climate is dry. We use regular automotive diesel from any of the local filling stations, nothing special. Usually the pickup has half a dozen or more 5 gallon containers kicking around in the back that we try to keep filled.
It's petrol diesel....although Colorado grows a lot of corn, you don't see bio-diesel much, or at all.
I've heard there's a private station in downtown Denver that sells bio-diesel, but think you have to be a member and make an appointment to buy from them, so it's not a popular fuel. Most of us just run pump diesel. It's cheap enough.

We do run an additive sometimes - especially in the summer we use XPD when we are going to be working the machines hard or on long truck trips. I don't know if it does anything worthwhile, but it doesn't seem to hurt.
rScotty

Well I hope your luck continues, gelled systems in the extreme cold are not fun.
I'll continue to blend and treat my winter fuel as I have fought with it both on and off road.
I also change my fuel filters annually and the ones with drains will get drained periodically.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #99  
Well I hope your luck continues, gelled systems in the extreme cold are not fun.
I'll continue to blend and treat my winter fuel as I have fought with it both on and off road.
I also change my fuel filters annually and the ones with drains will get drained periodically.

When I farmed and after that when I still owned a diesel or two, my strategy was to change fuel filters between Halloween and Thanksgiving and cut the fuel 30-40% with kerosene and add an effective conditioner to anything that had to run in winter. That served me very well.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #100  
When I farmed and after that when I still owned a diesel or two, my strategy was to change fuel filters between Halloween and Thanksgiving and cut the fuel 30-40% with kerosene and add an effective conditioner to anything that had to run in winter. That served me very well.

About the same, waiting for our load of treated fuel to be delivered.
Once it's on site everything that may get started in the winter will get some.
Which is most of the diesels every thing but the 1066 and 1086 maybe the 4020,
the other half dozen or so will get treated fuel even when getting parked for the winter (hopefully).
The main feeding tractors will not be getting straight blended fuel till December, Puma 125 and NH 6050
getting used daily they go through enough fuel it's not bad staying on top of whats in them.
Of course the gassers that get run don't need much for fuel conditioning, 560 and 656's.