Oil & Fuel Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #81  
next thing is we will probably see a report out on health hazards on adding ATF to ULSD - I say we forgo this crazy fuel stuff and go back to steam power no wait can we breathe steam, what if we absorb it? oh my.......where's my report!!! ;-)

And steam is produced, how?

This logic is little different than the EV folks claiming to be 100% fossil-fuel free. Yeah, if you discount that 50% of electricity in the US is produced by coal-fired power plants. And then there's the issue of tires, asphalt roads, vehicle components etc etc (all of which would be more expensive if there was a huge decline in oil extraction and refinement- lower production would require higher prices to offset lowered utilization of equipment).

And regarding your quest to determine whether it's necessary to add ATF to USLD, go ahead and do it. As for this recommendation to others, do research and make necessary mitigations to risk: decision should be to NOT do this with CR engines (and probably not Pump Duse engines), which is almost certainly stated by manufacturers (if they don't specifically say it's OK then don't do it).

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #82  
I don't really care about ATF I was just making a point how we can get wound around the axle about things, ive never used it or 2 stroke oil in my diesel - steam is produced with heat......in a lot of ways...... not that it makes any sense for transportation in numbers but just throwing it out there - it makes for great debate..........devils advocate so why even bother with ulsd, I thot Darwin has his point for that ? Take common sense for instance.........would working in a place that is filled with whatever dust/smoke/debris shorten ones life because its harder to breathe? Sure enough.......basic logic and if we choose to do that, why is it someone elses fault or problem? why does something need to be changed? kind of like smoking, its a persons choice to do it - that is where things have gone wrong.........we have gone down the road of blaming and getting litigious. Of course we do have better water, better air ( supposedly ) and still on the fence with climate change - maybe one of these days ulsd will evolve into kool-aid or Gatorade and we will be slurping it while we are driving - until then I guess we are just stuck with putting it in our CR engines and hoping for the best - im not saying ULSD is bad or good im just saying I personally never had issues with older fuel like I have with the newer fuels be it ulsd or otherwise -

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #83  
im not saying ULSD is bad or good im just saying I personally never had issues with older fuel like I have with the newer fuels be it ulsd or otherwise -

As to whether we "didn't have problems" I'd have to say that ENGINES might not have had problems, but for certain folks' lungs DID.

This is 2018. My early 90s diesels and subsequently newer diesels are working fine on ULSD w/o any additives (other than what the refinery put int the fuel). If the manual/manufacturer instructs to add something then add it. You have problems; YOU deal with it- good for YOU.

50 years from now there's going to be folks still asking these questions. Dead Horse!

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #84  
to which is my point why do something that is still debatable and inconclusive after 50yrs - we are responsible for our own lungs not someone else just like dealing with our own issues with fuels/breakdowns - its all a choice - problem is we don't get a choice on fuels maybe if I still had old fuel I would be dead from breathing the fumes and this poor horse would still be alive!!! GO ULSD!!!!

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #85  
There will ALWAYS be someone who has to debate this, in which case the existence of "debate" (though many of the lingerers can present little in the way of actual debatable information) carries on...

I'd suggested it before (and, apparently, since non of the facts provided made their way into this thread, wasn't pursued), Bob Is The Oil Guy is an excellent source for information. For those longing for information on this subject (I'm tiring of it):
Diesel Fuel Lubricity Additives - Pipeline bans | Oil Industry and Related News | Bob Is The Oil Guy

And those who still feel that pure/unadulterated ULSD is a threat to their engines (discusses the very thing- adding ATF to your fuel; an article about someone doing it hardcore):
Automatic Transmission Fluid Fuel - Alternative Diesel Fuel - Diesel Power Magazine

I'm out of here...

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #86  
My mother smoked two packs of camels unfiltered for fifty years and died of something else. Cigarettes kill people. Holding on to the past by making crazy arguments about how it didn稚 kill you or your parents means nothing.

In God We Trust, everybody else better bring data.

I am glad we have moved to new technologies. I wish we had led the way instead of having to be dragged kicking and screaming. We used to lead in these areas. Around the mid 80s we let Japan and Europe set the standard in autos and since then we follow them a few years behind.

Embrace the future and if you can稚 do that, at least don稚 stand in the way. Your votes for the past inhibit the opportunities for our kids. We should be leading on this and biotech and surgical appliances and modernization of our manufacturing sector and infrastructure. It has been our reputation in our past. In the tech sector it still is. Apple is worth a trillion dollars. That didn稚 happen by refusing to give up slide rules or punch cards.

Rant over.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #88  
Here is the ASTM spec for diesel I got from a Chevron write up. My tractor has a Mitsubishi engine with Bosch injection. The ASTM cetane is 5 points below MHI recommendation and lubricity requirement is 460 vs 520(lower is better). Not sure if this is a big issue but I use an additive that claims it improve both I view it as cheap insurance . And from what I’ve read yes sulfur does improve lubricity but other countries have ultra low sulfur fuels yet have better lubricity requirements than the US. And lubricity is of more concern on mechanical fuel injection systems.
PNG image.png

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #89  
Here is the ASTM spec for diesel I got from a Chevron write up. My tractor has a Mitsubishi engine with Bosch injection. The ASTM cetane is 5 points below MHI recommendation and lubricity requirement is 460 vs 520(lower is better). Not sure if this is a big issue but I use an additive that claims it improve both I view it as cheap insurance . And from what I’ve read yes sulfur does improve lubricity but other countries have ultra low sulfur fuels yet have better lubricity requirements than the US. And lubricity is of more concern on mechanical fuel injection systems.
View attachment 616678

I would have to disagree with this, with the extremely high pressures of the common rail systems they are less tolerant of fuel quality then the older mechanical injection systems.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #90  
Ok, you could be right. I was just passing on what I read. I have no knowledge or experience.