Buying Advice Uncertain

/ Uncertain #11  
Here is a great site to spend some time to watch videos of attachments.
How To Video Demos - Implements & Attachments

/ Uncertain #12  
Skeet welcome to the forum. Whichever tractor you decide on I would recommend you have them "load" the rear tires. That is put liquid ballast, several types are used, in the rear tires to add weight below the center of gravity. It helps with traction but more importantly on your hilly property it improves stability on slopes significantly.

MarkV

/ Uncertain #13  
Skeet, I have just been using my freinds L3700su, with a BH SQ160, and we were taking on a large ticket of briars, handled it with ease, also my friend is a little on the larger size, he is 6'6" and 350 plus. After shoping around for tractors with him, he got a L3700 because he could get on and off tractor with no problems. He has it in a TLB, and the bush hog. I don't like the fact that he as two seats for tractor, makes it tight to use the BH 77, back hoe, but has plenty of power. See this thread, about last weeks bush hoghing we did. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...g/208765-l3700su-working-hard-lehigh-gap.html , hope this works as a link, if not, its in the Kubota Using area, working a L3700 hard in the Lehigh gap . He lives on a mountine side and so far he has not had any problems.

/ Uncertain #14  
Hey Skeet, More info here. My friend, Kermit, also has the larger 66 inch heavy duty fel bucket, L2296, with bolt on front edge, and is SSQA. I would recoment you look at that for your unit up front, cheper that way. The SSQA gives you lots of options. some photos attached.

Attachments

• 2011 3 485.jpg
    2011 3 485.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 174
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 168
   / Uncertain #15  
Not an expert here, but that sized tractor seems about right to me, especially given that your going to box-blade the road, and that your in WV (rocky, hilly). The 3700 has position control, so that's good. Your going to loose the mid mount PTO (for mowing), but you never mention that you would like to use the tractor for mowing, so that doesn't seem an issue. If I were you, I'd want a regular blade for snow removal, and since were talking snow and WV, a cab would sure be nice (don't have one myself).

I find that I have to do a lot of my bush hogging by backing the bush hog into the brush. Mine is only 4 ft wide, so you having a 5 ft wide bush hog means that your going to do it much easier then I.

I'd want to sit and drive it. Get a feel for the amount of vibration. It's a 4 cylinder and some types of models vibrate bad. Not sure about the 3700 though. I'd also want to turn around in the operators seat so I could get a feel for how comfortable it is.

What's the gain/loss buying used vs new? Will you get a factory/dealer warrenty? Can they sell you Kubota insurance as a alternative? What are the hours on the tractor? Are there any maintance records on it? What would it cost to buy new vs used? I'm not asking you to answer any of this here, but rather to seek the answers for yourself from the dealer. If your financing it, Kubota may be able to offer 0% financing on new tractors and impements, so buying used could cost you the interest on the financing vs new.

Larry

/ Uncertain #16  
I dont know if this 3700 has a drawbar. Whats it's purpose? Can someone explain what a rear remote is for? Can a suspension seat be put on the 3700? You guys are giving me some good feed back!!

The drawbar is for pulling. You can get a 3pt drawbar that attaches across the lift arms, or you can get the "swinging" drawbar that fits the receiver below the rear axle. I highly recommend the latter. It gives you a lower center of gravity when you pull and reduces the chances you have of flipping your tractor over on it's back. Imagine a bike wheelie gone bad. The rear wheels keep pulling and the front wheels go up in the are and the rear drives right under the tractor. Pulling from too high above the center of gravity increases the odds of this type of accident. The dealer option for this drawbar is only around $100 and I am sure you can get it cheaper if you look around.

The rear remote is an extension of the hydraulic system to the rear of the tractor to permit hydraulically operated implements. By default, the only hydraulics are the lift arms on the 3pt and the loader controls. If you want a thumb or 4way bucket on the loader, you will need another hydraulic port to operate the additional feature. If you run an implement off the 3pt that has hydraulic functions beyond the 3pt lift you will need ports there to run them.

I did not think I would have much use for them at the time, but now I wish I had them for a grapple on my bucket and have drooled over the top-n-tilt others have bragged about.

I have no idea on the suspension seat. I will be watching pointedly to see what answers you get on that.

/ Uncertain #17  
I have owned my 3700 for a year now and have been pleased with it. Are there things I don't like about it? sure, but for the price it is a lot of tractor.

My only real complaint about it is the jerky 3PH, but I knew about it before I bought the tractor and just live with it.The seat could be better but it's not a real problem.

I have used the tractor most often for dirtwork/landscaping projects (I have a larger JD that I use for most of the pasture mowing). I have been so spoiled by the HST that the other day I started a digging project with my JD and after a short while my left leg felt like it was going to fall off. I went back to the barn and switched to the 3700.

I had the dealer add a drawbar, loaded R4s and a cruise control when I bought it. I have since added a rear remote and the telescoping lower arm link stabilizers (like the L4400 has). You may or may not need these these upgrades. I seldom use the cruise, but when I do need it it's worth every penny. I highly reccomend the stabilizers, they keep attachment sway to a minimum. I was having a lot of problems with the turnbuckles loosening up during extended sessions and they cured the problem.

/ Uncertain #18  
...telescoping lower arm link stabilizers...I highly recommend the stabilizers, they keep attachment sway to a minimum...
How tight can you get yours? I bought a set and I had more than 2" sway so I took them off... there was lots of play in every connection. I had hope to have used it with Pat's QC but it moves too much to work.

/ Uncertain #19  
How tight can you get yours? I bought a set and I had more than 2" sway so I took them off... there was lots of play in every connection. I had hope to have used it with Pat's QC but it moves too much to work.

I'm not familiar with Pat's QC so I can't comment on the stabilizers compatability with it or any other quick attachment system.

I got the telescopic stabilizers because I have part ownership and sole management of a 450 acre tree farm. It is crisscrossed with miles of logging roads that I have to mow on a regular basis to keep them open or they disapear. I find the 3700 to be ideal for this job because of its' compact size, the HST, and four wheel drive.

The chain stabilizer turnbuckles would loosen during use on the very rough terrain and then allow the threaded adjustable arm to loosen. I found myself having to constantly stop and tighten them up or the bushhog would turn into a plow (one side would end up digging a furrow). When I'm on a tractor I hate having to stop work if I don't have to. Also the trip to the tree farm represents a sizable investment in diesel, wear and tear on my truck and trailer, and my time. I want to spend my time working WITH, not ON, my tractor.

Since I switched to the new stabilizers I haven't had this problem. They are also, for my usage, quicker to adjust for different attachments. Please understand that this is based on how it worked for me and my particular usage, YMMV.

/ Uncertain #20  
Good answers, lots of variety. For my money, I'd show the quote from Barlows to the local dealer and ask him to match it or at least come close on the L3800. If he can't don't burn your bridges since you'll more than likely be dealing with him for service and repairs no matter what you buy.

The L3800 for less money is more tractor in my opinion. You have the drawbar and suspension seat standard, not sure about cruise control. If you're mowing extended runs of field, you'll like the cruise. It's not essential, but a nice feature.

If you think you may EVER have use for rear hydraulics (wood splitter, power angle on rear blade, top n' tilt, down pressure for PHD, etc) get at least one set of remotes installed when you buy. It may be cheaper to install your own later as I did, but you need to be handy and understand hydraulics.

The suspension seat is 100% easier on your back. Mine was stuck when I got it, and I lived with it. It's freed up now, and makes traveling over rough ground much easier.

I agree on the 3 point hitch being jumpy, it's not perfect but is livable.

The L3400/L3700SU/L3800 are all 3 cylinder engines and relatively smooth. The loader damps a lot of vibration too, but your toes and fingers won't be "buzzing" at the end of the day in either case.

The L4400 is a very capable tractor too, more power, wider stance, bigger tires etc., as well as significantly more lift capacity on the loader and 3ph. Not really in the same class as the L3700 or L3800.

Sean