Buying Advice Uncertain

/ Uncertain #31  
I called the dealer and switched to the 6' cutter. I also got the 72" box blade. The box blade I think is a catch 22. The 72" might be a little big for the tractor as far as having a box full of dirt but on the other hand the 60" might be tucked up under the tractor to much. Thanks again for bringing that to my attention chilli.

Good decision! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

MarkV

/ Uncertain #32  
Just giving you guys a update. Like I said I went to work for 3 weeks and during that time I did a lot of thinking. So when I got home I signed the papers on a L4400.

With the amount of mowing you will have to accomplish I would strongly suggest you change the rotary cutter order to a 6 foot flail mower.

The flail mower is a safer brush mower and will require less power as the entire width of the mower is cutting at all times.

A rotary cutter is only using half its cutting width at any time and has the following blade trailing at all times and will leave rooster tails if you are mowing too fast.

A flailmower that is six feet wide will have on average 144 inches of cutting edge exposed(being two grass slicers per knive hanger) to the brush that needs to be mowed versus the 36 inches of cutting edge used to mow brush with a rotary cutter.

I would strongly suggest you hold off on buying a brush cutter untill you read all the information about flail mowers we have here on the forum.

I want you to be an informed consumer of information and have no interest in dipping into your wallet.

I would also ask you to contact Ken Sweet here on the forum and ask him for a price for one of the brands of flail mowers he carries. he ships directly from his warehouse in kentucky as well.

/ Uncertain #33  
I might have missed it but have you thought about getting your rear tires filled with Rim Guard for weight? It'll come in handy when trying to pull your BB and for fel use. While it's at the dealer it's easy for them to do.

/ Uncertain #34  
Glad you were able to get things changed before it was delivered, it always seems easier to do that before money changes hands.

I think you'll have pretty good results with the rotary cutter, Land Pride makes a good product. I added a set of chain guards in front to slow down anything coming out of it and adjusted the slip clutch a little bit softer so it slips easier when I hit something solid. There's threads here on both of those changes, lots of information available depending on how much time one has to read..

I've never seen a flail mower around here, for some reason they aren't too popular here. More than likely the price... the RC does a decent job for a lot less money in my opinion. Leonz likes to get a plug in for a flail whenever the word mower is entered..:laughing:

Sean