Understanding Diesel fuel with my sub compact tractor in winter.

/ Understanding Diesel fuel with my sub compact tractor in winter. #31  
#1 winter diesel is not kerosene.

There is #2 summer fuel containing long chain hydrocarbons that turn from liquid to wax at low temps.
There is # 1 diesel which is just diesel without long chain hydro carbons.
There is kerosene which is between diesel and gasoline groups. Jet A-1 is the easiest and lowest cost to obtain.

That is how it is labeled on the fuel pump at the truck stop. #1 Diesel (kerosene).
I guess the fuel stations pump is mislabeled.

/ Understanding Diesel fuel with my sub compact tractor in winter. #33  
I got tripped up by all this just recently. I recently had acquired a fuel tank and it had been filled with summer (or non-winter) fuel. Got some really cold, prolonged temperatures here and my new tractor had run for a good 20 minutes and then just died. It would start and run a couple of seconds and then die again. I finally pulled the fuel line from the tank delivery side of the fuel filter and blew back through it. I sensed a very slight obstruction- something blocked in the small nipple at the bottom edge of the fuel tank. Highly unlikely that I had any debris in there (was running on the second tank of fuel- first was as delivered to me). I used the red Diesel Kleen bottle (about 1/2- had half a tank of fuel). Ended up tossing the other 1/2 of the bottle plus one of the white bottle into my storage tank (about 80 gallons or so). Have had no problem since.

Moral of the story: make sure you're running with the right fuel for the ambient temperatures you're operating in!

/ Understanding Diesel fuel with my sub compact tractor in winter. #34  
Several folks mention using Mr Funnel. I do, too. Is it true that additives like Sea Foam must be poured directly in the fuel tank because the funnel will filter it out? I'd rather treat the fuel immediately in the can, but hate to treat it twice.

/ Understanding Diesel fuel with my sub compact tractor in winter.
Several folks mention using Mr Funnel. I do, too. Is it true that additives like Sea Foam must be poured directly in the fuel tank because the funnel will filter it out? I'd rather treat the fuel immediately in the can, but hate to treat it twice.

The issue of additives and a Mr. Funnel is not the filter taking out the additives. . but that the additives will allow poorer fuel to get past the filter.

With a Mr. Funnel . . If you have a 5 gallon can of gas as an example. . You want to put the "gas drying additives" in after filtering. . NOT before filtering . . so either you filter the gas into the 5 gallon can and then put additives. OR filter between gas can and equipment tank and then put the Addie's in the equipment tank. The additives don't get caught in the filter. . They cause the filter not to catch the water and go thru the filter.

/ Understanding Diesel fuel with my sub compact tractor in winter. #36  
I use Power Service year round with no troubles. I store diesel in five gallon Jerry cans. About thirty years ago I had an experience with the diesel fuel jelling. I had to take my portable generator and the wife's hair dryer half way down the driveway. Took about fifteen minuets with the hair dryer blasting on the fuel tank to warm things up. It was right around -25F outside - a situation where I should have been in the house having a second cup of coffee rather than out playing on the tractor.

/ Understanding Diesel fuel with my sub compact tractor in winter. #37  
The issue of additives and a Mr. Funnel is not the filter taking out the additives. . but that the additives will allow poorer fuel to get past the filter.

With a Mr. Funnel . . If you have a 5 gallon can of gas as an example. . You want to put the "gas drying additives" in after filtering. . NOT before filtering . . so either you filter the gas into the 5 gallon can and then put additives. OR filter between gas can and equipment tank and then put the Addie's in the equipment tank. The additives don't get caught in the filter. . They cause the filter not to catch the water and go thru the filter.

Thanks for the clarification, AxleHub. I guess I'll keep filtering the fuel and then adding Sea Foam directly to the tank.

/ Understanding Diesel fuel with my sub compact tractor in winter. #38  
Just kind of a side note on diesel quality. I am told, that the clearances of an injector pump are so tight, that parts warmed in your hand will not fit. Water will (potentially) ruin injectors and pump.

So why do some machines have dual filtration and water separator and a machine like my Diesel Steiner has one junky cheap in-line plastic filter? My Onan Diesel gensets only have one filter as well.

Shouldn't the highest level of filtration apply to all diesels equally?

/ Understanding Diesel fuel with my sub compact tractor in winter. #39  
So why do some machines have dual filtration and water separator and a machine like my Diesel Steiner has one junky cheap in-line plastic filter? My Onan Diesel gensets only have one filter as well.

Shouldn't the highest level of filtration apply to all diesels equally?
I am curious about this as well. I don't pretend to be all that knowledgeable about diesel fuel systems, but I would guess that common rail injectors and epa mandated systems likely require better filtration. My Kubota zd326 mower had (2) inline plastic filters. I replaced the first one with a large 2u canister filter.
My L4060 has a water separator and small spin on canister from the mfg, and I plan on installing another 2u filter right after the fuel tank.

/ Understanding Diesel fuel with my sub compact tractor in winter. #40  
I have wondered about the different filtration on different machines too. The owner of the junk place about a mile from my house had his Ford pickup engine ruined by some bad diesel he bought at a station in town. Engine replaced and tank drained and they used the bad diesel in his Kubota track steer. Said the Kubota had several filters and had no problem.

That was not something I would have done.