Unfamiliar and confused.

/ Unfamiliar and confused. #1  

dlmelton

Tractor
03 new holland tc24d
Bought an 03 NH tc24d other day. Trying to familiarize myself best I can with this thing. 3 things I cannot figure out with it so far, and probably more to come,.
1 lost all forward motion while mowing up a hill today, hydrostatic, but would not pull a hill while blades were on, turn them off, it pulled then.

2 it's a 4x4 but for the life of me I cannot find the lever to put it it 4 WD. Most of the stickers are gone which shows what levers does what. Just haven't found 4x4

3 there is a knob below the seat that has a rabbit and a turtle on it, will admit, never seen this on other tractors I've been on. What is it and what does it go too.

Again, unfamiliar and confused right now. Someone please educate me on this tractor plz.

Also, is a NH tc24d considered a class 1, 2 or class 3 had someone asked me that too.

/ Unfamiliar and confused. #2  
the turtle means low gear, the rabbit means high gear. rabbits are faster than turtles..

/ Unfamiliar and confused. #3  
The knob below the seat controls how quickly your 3 point hitch implements lower when you set the control lever for a lower position.

/ Unfamiliar and confused. #4  
You need an Owners Manual.

/ Unfamiliar and confused. #5  
Pics of the controls? I have a 15 Boomer 24. Wonder if controls are the same.

As for your mowing. Were you in low range or high?

/ Unfamiliar and confused. #6  
For clues, look where the levers are.

A lever that goes into the transmission near where the drive shaft exits and goes to the front axle is probably the 2WD/4WD lever.

If the rabbit/turtle lever goes to the fuel pump and has continuously variable positions: That's the engine throttle
If it has continuously variable positions and goes to the hydraulics associated with the 3 point hitch, it controls how fast your 3PTH control responds.
If it has only 2 or 3 positions and goes to the transmission it's probably a transmission range selector. The TC24D has 2 ranges (High/Low) I don't know if lever has 3 positions (High/Nuetral/Low).

When going up hill and you stalled:
Were you in low (turtle) range?
Are you sure you're not using hydro pedal like a gas pedal? That is, when you need a lower gear (more torque) you let UP on the pedal and slow down, like when a manual transmission shifts to a lower gear. Slower=more torque=more hill climbing power=more pulling power. This is the opposite response people are used to doing when operating a gas pedal in a car or truck.

/ Unfamiliar and confused. #7  
I will echo that you need an owners manual. I know that doesn't help in the here and now.

In the meantime you should take and resize photos of the controls you are in question about. Learn how to upload to the forum. Then post your questions and photos in the New Holland section. Title the thread "Controls on a TC24D"

Sound like you should also inquire about where and how to check the hydraulic fluid level and top it off if it's low.

Hope that helps.

/ Unfamiliar and confused. #8  
Search the net for a operators manual. you can also go to Messick's web site and see the parts details for your tractor. Might want to go to the New Holland web site and look for a manual there.

/ Unfamiliar and confused. #9  
Here's a link to a video covering most of the control levers. It's a 'for sale' video, but it does serve as a nice way to identify each lever. tc24d how to operate - Bing video
The round dial/knob in the center below the seat is the 3PH speed control as others have mentioned.

/ Unfamiliar and confused. #10  
When you need more "oomph", you have to ease up on the hydro petal. Seems bass-ackwards, but that's how it works.