Unused PTO L35

/ Unused PTO L35 #1  

SLOBuds

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L35
Just bought a 2000 L35. 980 hours. Looks to be in good condition all around, though with plenty of use of bucket and backhoe.

The PTO was not used at all. The owner did not know how to disconnect the backhoe, as an example (though it looks like a very easy process). Wasn't sure how to get the PTO 'to turn'.

At any rate, my planned use of the machine includes various PTO attachments. Would you recommend any precautionary steps that I take before putting the PTO into service after no use?

Thanks

/ Unused PTO L35 #2  
The only precautionary steps before use would be how to engage and dis-engage the PTO properly, If you have a operators manual this will help.
Other than that it should work just fine.

/ Unused PTO L35 #3  
SLOBuds said:
Just bought a 2000 L35. 980 hours. Looks to be in good condition all around, though with plenty of use of bucket and backhoe.

The PTO was not used at all. The owner did not know how to disconnect the backhoe, as an example (though it looks like a very easy process). Wasn't sure how to get the PTO 'to turn'.

At any rate, my planned use of the machine includes various PTO attachments. Would you recommend any precautionary steps that I take before putting the PTO into service after no use?

Thanks
Congratulations on your purchase! First of all, you need a manual, sounds like one didn't come with the tractor? This will help in the proper removal of the backhoe, and future care and preventive maintenance of your tractor. I wouldn't remove the hoe without reading the manual first; getting air or dirt in the lines isn't prudent? The system may have to be de-pressurized first??The manual can be purchased through Tractorsmart.com for $30 or so. I have never removed my BH, but there is a detailed method that should be followed to make re-installing easy too!
LEE

/ Unused PTO L35
machmeter62 said:
Congratulations on your purchase! First of all, you need a manual, sounds like one didn't come with the tractor? This will help in the proper removal of the backhoe, and future care and preventive maintenance of your tractor. I wouldn't remove the hoe without reading the manual first; getting air or dirt in the lines isn't prudent? The system may have to be de-pressurized first??The manual can be purchased through Tractorsmart.com for $30 or so. I have never removed my BH, but there is a detailed method that should be followed to make re-installing easy too!
LEE

Manual is on its way! The tractor came with a B21 manual stuffed up there in that black plastic box attached to the roof over my rops.

/ Unused PTO L35 #5  
Congradulations on the tractor. I also bought one used recently & can give a little advice if you like. The proceedure to remove the hoe is pretty simple & the directions are posted on the side of the valve shroud. However if your hoe has never been off you are probably in for a couple hours work to unfreeze the parts. On mine the clamps that close on the subframe (2 on each side) were rusted frozen as were the handles that move the locking pins to hold the clamps shut. I worked on them with penetrating oil & heat for a couple days before they moved. I actually took the rear tires off for better access to the mechanism as everything is so packed in. I ended up dis-assembling the clamping mechanism & using a small pry bar to move the clamps sideways & back & forth until they freed up enough to open. They have to both open at the same time so just getting one per side loose will not allow removal. Once you get them open the rest of the process is simple. The hoe can be lowered to the ground & hyd. pressure relieved to remove the hoses per the instructions. Hopefully your parts are not frozen like mine were. I did end up buying a couple new handles, locking pins damaged during the removal process. The new parts were not as expensive as I thought they would be. Everything is getting a coat of never-seize as I re-assemble. This little tractor is a beast & you will love it. Good luck to you.

/ Unused PTO L35
Thanks Steve. I wrote PM to you about something else.

Someone else warned me about the freezing backhoe connect. The tractor is fairly clean, plus it is a California machine, so I'm hoping for the best! My plan is to spray with WD40 and operate for a few hours before trying to disconnet.

This is my first owned tractor. I have rented before and never got very proficient with using the fel. My small practice session with the backhoe was much worse! Tractors are not the easiest thing for uncoordinated people like me. :)

Anyway ... I will just take it slowly and give myself some projects to build up competence. Just hauling logs from one side of the parcel to the other is BIG FUN for the moment.

/ Unused PTO L35 #7  
Greetings,
You will like the L35.
It is a real workhorse for it's size.
Taking the hoe on and off is really pretty easy.
I have it down to less than 5 minutes off and just a little longer back on as it takes a minute longer to align it.
I have a couple of oak 4x4s to let it down on so it doesn't sink into the ground - that's about the only thing I can caution you on.....but it is pretty easy to stand back up with the FEL.....yeah, I know....NOW!
Now, I just raise the outriggers enough to settle the frame on the 4 x 4s....
Did you get all the three point hook up parts also?

/ Unused PTO L35
No - I don't have the 3pt yet. Am planning to post separately to try to find dimensions. Going to salvage yard this Saturday

Thanks

/ Unused PTO L35 #9  
After the 2 days to free up my 2001 35TLB Backhoe my 3 point would not respond. My brother had to persuade it with a rubber mallet while I worked it up and down. It was never used before we freed it up. Everything works fine now. I just finished a 150' x 5.5' deep trench and the 1054HR Senior Kubota worked like a champ. It is a rugged piece of commercial equipment.

/ Unused PTO L35
That's just about the same L35 as mine. I have 980 hours, on a year 2000 machine. In addition to the aspect about the PTO never being used and the BH never removed.

Can't wait to get into the fun this weekend!

The lift freeze sounds a bit scary to me. I did spray the BH clamping mechanism last week with WD40 (someone said that the clamp will lock if unused) and now I think I will spray WD40 on the lift too.

I would rather not have to force anything, but we will see!