Buying Advice *UPDATE* Just tell me what to buy!

/ *UPDATE* Just tell me what to buy! #41  
I think all the posts and Thejoj are getting out of bounds and have forgotten the size of the property. There is no way a 5 acre plot needs a 50 HP tractor to perform maintenance on it. In California, what does he need with a $5000 cab add on to his tractor, surely not for blowing snow and a little sweat does the body good in summer. I rarely use my cabbed tractor and the heat doesn't bother me and I am 70 years old.
Get back to reality folks, a B2650 Kubota (or equivalent in any brand) is at the top of the line as far as needed HP goes.

Since most of the CUT brands out there are very good tractors, go for the one that suits your rear end and body size AND your wallet. Ergonomics should be the guide for what tractor you buy, followed by Price and lastly dealer. Lots of folks put the dealer in the top position, but truly, most of the time, tractors never return to the dealer for service if the owner is in any way mechanically inclined.

If you cant turn a wrench or have no intention, then put the dealer second although dealer and price might go hand in hand.

/ *UPDATE* Just tell me what to buy! #42  
I just noticed you are in Clements. I'm in Sonora. I always make sure to go through Lockford and get sausage. That place is the best.
Your reference to the smaller dealer is probably those guys at A1. I would agree they are very helpful and where I purchased my tractor recently.

I think for 5 acres you would find the ck3510 to be plenty of tractor for your needs. It's very capable machine. I have 20 acres and it does 99% of what I want. There is always some monster rock or giant oak stump that will need a way larger tractor. That's when you rent an excavator or a dozer and just do it the right way. For basic clearing and land maintenance a 30-40 hp tractor is all you will need.

Don't get me wrong a larger tractor is always nice. But how often will you need more than 28hp for PTO implements or need to lift and move around things over 1500 lbs?

/ *UPDATE* Just tell me what to buy!
Almost 3 year update:
Still have and love the CK3510SE HST . Over 250 hrs and no problems. I have used the following implements equally:
- Forks
- Grapple
- Loader bucket
- Box blade with rippers
- Flail Mower
- Disc
Won’t get rid of any of them.

I can’t imagine not having the following features:
- Hydro Transmission
- Spring Seat
- Linked Pedal
- Hydraulic top and tilt. This is mandatory.
- Telescopic lower arms for hooking up 3 point attachments.
- Skid steer quick connect
- Side view mirrors

Things I wish it had:
- Gas tank under body instead of up high behind head. I use gas cans and its a pain to stand on the rear implement and try to balance.
- USB charger and maybe some storage on the sides of the dash for a phone/keys/etc. I know there is a couple little holders below the seat, but they always seem full of dirt, rain water, twigs, etc.
- Entry step on both sides instead of one.
- More storage/better toolbox. Would love to carry some straps, chain and shackles at all times. I help my neighbors out a lot and would like more essentials with me.

Things it has but I never use:
- Cruise control? or whatever it was supposed to be. Never found it useful, but maybe I’m doing it wrong. Didn’t seem to hold speed, just rpms if I remember correctly.
- Cup holder. Too bouncy a ride, spills everything. Then when you go to drink something, the lid is full dust. Wah poor baby…
- Draw bar. Took it off and have never needed it. Also, if I had a PTO implement on and it dropped low enough, the plastic cover on the PTO shaft would hit the end of the draw bar and shred it. Also, I have a UTV with 2” ball to move around trailers and such.
- Plastic toolbox. Took it off, pretty much useless.
- Safety shutoff when getting off seat. Bypassed it.

Things I was worried about before buying:
- Not enough power. It does everything I ask of it. Will it move earth like a skip loader? No, but it has plenty of power going up my hills while pulling a disc or with a full load in the bucket.
- DPF Filter burn off. Never was an issue or an inconvenience, rarely ever happens.
- Should i get a cab? Maybe. I thought weather was why I needed it, but I live in CA. If weather is ‘bad’, I don‘t use the tractor. Simple enough. The only time I kinda wished I had it is when I was clearing some big brush/small trees at my neighbors. Stuff was falling alol over me for 3 days. I guess it could keep my beer dust-free…
- Do I really need a flail mower instead of a rotary? I think so. I mow around trees and in tight spaces that I couldn’t do with a rotary. Although, I need to replace the knives after a couple years, but I think I finally found all the hidden rocks, metal and barbwire. Which makes a good point, the flail allows you to lift the 3 point up and tilt it(with hydraulic top arm) so that you can get off the tractor and see everything in there at waist height. I‘ve had to stop and unravel barbwire, garden hoses, etc. I would think you would be lying on your back to do this on a rotary? Not sure though.
- Is getting a Kioti over a Deere or Kubota a mistake? Doesn’t appear so, and to be honest, I may be a lifer. However, if their prices were all the same, it would be a tougher decision.
- Will I regret not getting the backhoe attachment? Maybe. I can think of a few instances where I would have tried it. Would I have been successful or frustrated? Still need to try one to find out its power and how tedious it is to move around on. I resorted to renting a mini ex a couple times.

Implements I want to try and wouldn’t mind your feedback:
- 3-point post hole digger. Do they make one that could mount to the skid steer attachment and use the 3rd function valve?
- 3-point trencher
- Drag harrow
- Rototiller
- Some type of lawn aerator

I think that covers it all. Let me know if you have any questions.

/ *UPDATE* Just tell me what to buy! #44  
I'm glad you like your purchase.

(perhaps you could 'update' your profile to reflect that you have a CK3510SE HST. 😀 )

/ *UPDATE* Just tell me what to buy! #46  
Almost 3 year update:
Still have and love the CK3510SE HST . Over 250 hrs and no problems. I have used the following implements equally:
- Forks
- Grapple
- Loader bucket
- Box blade with rippers
- Flail Mower
- Disc
Won’t get rid of any of them.

I can’t imagine not having the following features:
- Hydro Transmission
- Spring Seat
- Linked Pedal
- Hydraulic top and tilt. This is mandatory.
- Telescopic lower arms for hooking up 3 point attachments.
- Skid steer quick connect
- Side view mirrors

Things I wish it had:
- Gas tank under body instead of up high behind head. I use gas cans and its a pain to stand on the rear implement and try to balance.
- USB charger and maybe some storage on the sides of the dash for a phone/keys/etc. I know there is a couple little holders below the seat, but they always seem full of dirt, rain water, twigs, etc.
- Entry step on both sides instead of one.
- More storage/better toolbox. Would love to carry some straps, chain and shackles at all times. I help my neighbors out a lot and would like more essentials with me.

Things it has but I never use:
- Cruise control? or whatever it was supposed to be. Never found it useful, but maybe I’m doing it wrong. Didn’t seem to hold speed, just rpms if I remember correctly.
- Cup holder. Too bouncy a ride, spills everything. Then when you go to drink something, the lid is full dust. Wah poor baby…
- Draw bar. Took it off and have never needed it. Also, if I had a PTO implement on and it dropped low enough, the plastic cover on the PTO shaft would hit the end of the draw bar and shred it. Also, I have a UTV with 2” ball to move around trailers and such.
- Plastic toolbox. Took it off, pretty much useless.
- Safety shutoff when getting off seat. Bypassed it.

Things I was worried about before buying:
- Not enough power. It does everything I ask of it. Will it move earth like a skip loader? No, but it has plenty of power going up my hills while pulling a disc or with a full load in the bucket.
- DPF Filter burn off. Never was an issue or an inconvenience, rarely ever happens.
- Should i get a cab? Maybe. I thought weather was why I needed it, but I live in CA. If weather is ‘bad’, I don‘t use the tractor. Simple enough. The only time I kinda wished I had it is when I was clearing some big brush/small trees at my neighbors. Stuff was falling alol over me for 3 days. I guess it could keep my beer dust-free…
- Do I really need a flail mower instead of a rotary? I think so. I mow around trees and in tight spaces that I couldn’t do with a rotary. Although, I need to replace the knives after a couple years, but I think I finally found all the hidden rocks, metal and barbwire. Which makes a good point, the flail allows you to lift the 3 point up and tilt it(with hydraulic top arm) so that you can get off the tractor and see everything in there at waist height. I‘ve had to stop and unravel barbwire, garden hoses, etc. I would think you would be lying on your back to do this on a rotary? Not sure though.
- Is getting a Kioti over a Deere or Kubota a mistake? Doesn’t appear so, and to be honest, I may be a lifer. However, if their prices were all the same, it would be a tougher decision.
- Will I regret not getting the backhoe attachment? Maybe. I can think of a few instances where I would have tried it. Would I have been successful or frustrated? Still need to try one to find out its power and how tedious it is to move around on. I resorted to renting a mini ex a couple times.

- 3-point post hole digger. Do they make one that could mount to the skid steer attachment and use the 3rd function valve?
- 3-point trencher
- Drag harrow
- Rototiller
- Some type of lawn aerator

I think that covers it all. Let me know if you have any questions.
I bought a USB charger on Amazon for $12 and installed it. But make sure that you connect to a circuit that is only hot when the ignition is on. Otherwise it will drain your battery. For my phone, I bought a small clip case that works well connected to the rops or seat. For fueling, buy a small pump with a hose to attach to your can and forget about lifting and spilling. Or a fuel caddy with a hose. For a toolbox, see my photo.

Attachments

• 875E4CBB-7610-411A-B430-ECEDEC01B8D4.jpeg
    875E4CBB-7610-411A-B430-ECEDEC01B8D4.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 76
   / *UPDATE* Just tell me what to buy! #47  
I just purchased our family a house on a modest 5 acres. It’s got some hills, some pasture, some trees etc.

The place hasn’t been maintained in a long time so I have been fixing it up on the weekends. I work for a construction company and get almost free heavy equipment on the weekends. I’ve been working for a few months using large equipment. Full size excavators, skip loaders, rollers and backhoes. I’ve cleared a lot of the property, cut in a new driveway, removed trees/stumps and demoed concrete.

I’ve got most of the heavy lifting out of the way and need a maintenance tractor for disking, mowing, grading, tilling, loader work, you know, a little of everything.

Im looking at compact tractors and everyone says they’re perfect for that and can do it all. I just have no idea what to expect as I’ve been using 100+ HP machines and they have struggled at times to move dirt, stumps and concrete.

Should I be looking at a 45-55hp or can a compact 25-35 do it all?

And what’s the consensus on cabs? I’ve used both open and cabbed backhoes, the cab was quite nice.

I figure this will be the only tractor I will have for 15+years.

Just someone tell me what to do.

PS. I’ve been looking at Kioti CK and DK models, Kubota B and L and that’s it so far.
John Deere with no worries, Kubota if need more power, and that's about it, all the rest have logistical or supply issues....

/ *UPDATE* Just tell me what to buy! #48  
Thanks for the 3-year update!

Yes, they do make SSQA post hole diggers, but your 3rd function will likely not have enough hydraulic flow or constant duty cycle capability to power one sufficiently. These tend to be made for skid steers with high flow auxiliary hydraulics.

3-pt mounted post hole diggers are a little cumbersome to get hooked up, but they work well. Find a used one for cheap.

/ *UPDATE* Just tell me what to buy! #49  
   / *UPDATE* Just tell me what to buy! #50  
Thanks for the 3-year update!

Yes, they do make SSQA post hole diggers, but your 3rd function will likely not have enough hydraulic flow or constant duty cycle capability to power one sufficiently. These tend to be made for skid steers with high flow auxiliary hydraulics.

3-pt mounted post hole diggers are a little cumbersome to get hooked up, but they work well. Find a used one for cheap.

Land pride makes a low flow SSQA auger that is spec’d to operate off of 6-15 gpm flow. It may or may not meet his needs but there are some videos of one being operated off of a small compact tractor.