Tractor Sizing Upgrading tractor - are my size and power thoughts on target?

/ Upgrading tractor - are my size and power thoughts on target? #1  

saboism

Tractor
Kioti CK35
I currently own an older 2WD Kubota L235 which is rated 23.5hp, 19.6 on the PTO and 2000 lbs, sporting turf tires. Looking for thoughts and opinions from the knowledgable folks here on the forums before I begin shopping for a new tractor.

Property is 5 acres in Middle Tennessee, some flat, some hill. I mow about 3 acres with a 72" finish mower, which I purchased last year knowing I was upgrading soon. The L235 does a good job with the mower and only struggles if I let it go too long between mowing. My other frequent task, and of most concern, is maintaining my 800+' driveway, roughly 200'-250' of which is fairly steep uphill, with my 5' box blade. With the box full, I really have to work the hitch on the uphill passes if she starts digging. I'll just start spinning tires. I've 'gotten by' with the current setup but looking to purchase a new tractor that gives me better performance specifically maintaining the driveway. Additionally I've got plenty of other projects in the wings that have been waiting for the addition of a loader.

That said, my thoughts have been moving to something around 30-35hp, 25ish on the PTO, 4WD, heavier, and R4 tires. Thinking that a bump on power and weight, in addition to 4WD will be enough significantly reduce my issues when grading uphill (so I don't end up with all my stone at the bottom). I guess the FEL also adds the option to just change my method, drag downhill, scoop and carry back uphill to redistribute rock/soil. For reference, I'm undecided on brand and will likely base that more on which dealer I feel most comfortable with. Dealers close to me sell/service Kubota, Deere, LS, Kioti, Mahindra. I'm hoping to be in the $20K range, but more concerned with the right machine for the job. Don't want to go too large as I also have some woods and obstacles to maneuver around. I've done a lot of reading up here and elsewhere, but ya know... internet vs. real life experience is what it is.

Does my theory or expectancy sound off-base? Can I expect to see a good deal of improvement in capability when working uphill for the size tractor I'm targeting?

Appreciate any input on the subject.

/ Upgrading tractor - are my size and power thoughts on target? #2  
I think for your price range you can get a tractor from most of the brands mentioned. 4x4 will be very helpful for the uphill tasks. The LS G3033,3038,R3039,and XR3032 series are all close to your requirements. I don't know about the other brands as its been over a year since I compared prices and features and bought my LS.

/ Upgrading tractor - are my size and power thoughts on target? #3  
I'm not sure about the price, but you might come close and your size seems to be reasonable. Kubota, John Deere, Kioti and LS make good machines and while my last several tractors have been Kubota, Kioti and LS really have some good values in that size.

While I have FELs on all my tractors, I get better results pulling material up as well as downhill.

/ Upgrading tractor - are my size and power thoughts on target? #4  
To bad you do not own the next size up Kubota. I purchased a used L245DT 4x4 with a loader back in 1982. With loaded ag tires it has served me well. The 4x4 makes going up hill easier in the winter , And the loader and box blade moves a bunch of snow going back down the hill. Make the best choice for you,as you know they last a long time.

/ Upgrading tractor - are my size and power thoughts on target?
To bad you do not own the next size up Kubota. I purchased a used L245DT 4x4 with a loader back in 1982. With loaded ag tires it has served me well. The 4x4 makes going up hill easier in the winter , And the loader and box blade moves a bunch of snow going back down the hill. Make the best choice for you,as you know they last a long time.
I wish I'd started off with 4x4 and FEL, I agree I'd likely be all set. The good thing is when I picked up the L235 a few years ago I only paid $2500 for it with a 5' brush hog. In hindsight, probably the better way to go anyhow as I now have a full understanding of my needs. And as a bonus, expect to get what I've put into the L235 when I sell it.

Stopped at the Deere dealer this morning and looked at the 3032E and 3038E. With FEL, $22K and $23K respectively. Only talked no test drive yet. FEL isn't removable, only the bucket, seems like I'd rather have the option to remove it if I can. Going to try to leave work early and swing by the Kioti dealer today, then tomorrow will be the dealer that sells both Kubota and LS Tractor.

Thanks for the input so far folks!

/ Upgrading tractor - are my size and power thoughts on target? #6  
Unless price is simply way out of line, get the machine that you are most comfortable on. They are not all the same, they are all good machines. Anything in the 30ish HP range, has a 60"-66" loader bucket will typically be in the size range that you want. Look at the economy models as well as the deluxe models, best to actually see and know the differences first hand if you can.

I think that you will find that the Korean tractors give you more product for your $$$$, but that does not always mean that is the best machine for you. What good is it if you simply don't like the machine??

Good luck with you search, please keep us informed. :thumbsup:

So I was very pleased with the Kioti dealer and how he took care of me. He spent a very long time with me showing me every inch of both brands he carries, Kioti and Branson. I was unimpressed driving the Branson, but the Kioti I liked. Given my current situation, he was pretty convinced that a CK2510HST with FEL was the right size machine for me. He fealt that while it was only slightly more powerful than my current machine, the 4WD (vs. my 2WD), R4 tires (vs. my turfs) and added weight (nearly 900 lbs. with FEL) would make all the difference. I did like the physical size and though I thought the cockpit was tight as I first sat in it (I'm tall), it was pretty comfortable to operate. I liked the location of the loader controls too.

If I was to purchase on pure dealer experience so far, the Kioti guy wins by a mile. I'm off to see the Kubota/LS Tractor folks in the morning, whom I've dealt with for an implement purchase before, so I'll reserve judgement until then at least.

Well after sleeping on it I don't want to step down from my original thoughts on specs, also would like the loader bucket big enough to easily lift my 5 ft implements if needed to move them around. If I have time today I'm going to work in another Kioti dealer that has more models in stock. But rain today :(

/ Upgrading tractor - are my size and power thoughts on target? #9  
Kioti and Branson. I was unimpressed driving the Branson, but the Kioti I liked.

I recently purchased a Branson 3520h, what was your dislike with the Branson?
I don't have a lot of tractor experience, 180hrs on a M series Kubota and about 260hrs on the B and BX series, and now 12 hrs on a Branson, so I am really interested in why the Branson was unimpressive.

Yesterday I spent 6 hours in the seat grading my brother in laws 3/4 mile driveway. This took my hours on the tractor up to a whole 12. So far I am overly impressed - but I did upgrade from a BX series Kubota to this tractor - so they are not in the same league. Getting on and off the tractor requires you to thread yourself around the pedals, and steering wheel (kind of sucks) but once seated - this tractor is very comfortable for me. The 35hp pulled a 5' box full of stone and gravel to the top of his driveway hills without an issue. Carrying a fully loaded bucket - the tractor felt very stable.

Thanks

/ Upgrading tractor - are my size and power thoughts on target? #10  
Well after sleeping on it I don't want to step down from my original thoughts on specs, also would like the loader bucket big enough to easily lift my 5 ft implements if needed to move them around. If I have time today I'm going to work in another Kioti dealer that has more models in stock. But rain today :(

Not any of my biz, and don't really know any specifics, But I agree with you, stay around 35hp + or - and you will be one happy operator. :)