used engine oil as diesel

/ used engine oil as diesel #11  
Like slowzuki said, it's risky business. In adition to contamination in the oil from the combustion process, metal wear particles and you have the engine oils additive package in there. The possibility of increased wear from contaminates and increased deposits in the injectors sure are not doing any good for your engine. Some say they add it to increase lubricity of the fuel. Studys have shown that engine oil adds little to no lubricity to the fuel. I'll never understand why people risk the chance of expensive damage to save a couple of cents.

/ used engine oil as diesel
after 3 months i run my kubota L2900 1996 with used oil and no problem here in montreal the price fuel is $1.10 ltrs i make 3 gallons with 1 gallons of fuel i saved .70 cents ltrs i put $50 a week in my pocket my friend do the same thing since 8 months

/ used engine oil as diesel #13  
Like slowzuki said, it's risky business. In adition to contamination in the oil from the combustion process, metal wear particles and you have the engine oils additive package in there. The possibility of increased wear from contaminates and increased deposits in the injectors sure are not doing any good for your engine. Some say they add it to increase lubricity of the fuel. Studys have shown that engine oil adds little to no lubricity to the fuel. I'll never understand why people risk the chance of expensive damage to save a couple of cents.

Agreed. Save $50, and prematurely wear out a $1000 injection pump. But people still believe you can booze your way to good heart health also....;)

/ used engine oil as diesel #14  
I love the nay sayers! Maybe this is not worth the risk for everyone, but think about how many innovations there have been because people have tried something. I would think that the experts on the matter would be the ones who have tried it. Am I running out to try it? Naw. Would save me about $30/year. Not worth it for me. Anyhow, my hat is off to those who have the nards to try something.

/ used engine oil as diesel #15  
And also the $$$$ to buy a new injection pump. ;)

/ used engine oil as diesel #16  
Does anyone know the clearances on the injector pumps. In my ignorances, (I am not a diesel expert at all) I would think that a 5 micron filter would be clean enough. dedejr please keep us informed about your results. How many miles or hours did you put on the engine during the 8 months? How many engines have you run on this? What is the total hours run for all engines?

/ used engine oil as diesel #17  
Agreed. Save $50, and prematurely wear out a $1000 injection pump. But people still believe you can booze your way to good heart health also....;)
He says hes saving $50/wk and has been doing it 3 mo. If he makes it a year its saved $2.4K. Wonder how long before theres a problem.
larry

/ used engine oil as diesel #18  
In the early 80s I worked on a diesel fuel project and visited a lot of contacts in the trucking, rail, and mining industries.

Many of the larger fleets, mixed their used oil with diesel which both disposed of the oil and stretched the diesel. Back then the price of diesel was so low that the disposal was more important than stretching the fuel.

Some of those guys had thousands of trucks and they studied every tiny little item in a cost-saving effort. If it had shortened engine life, they would have known and stopped doing it as soon as they figured it out.

They still do it today. Look at this piece of equipment Motor Oil Fuel Blending System | Waste Oil & Used Oil Recovery System .

Looks like you can go up to about 7.5% oil and still meet emission requirements.

/ used engine oil as diesel #19  
Does anyone know the clearances on the injector pumps. In my ignorances, (I am not a diesel expert at all) I would think that a 5 micron filter would be clean enough. dedejr please keep us informed about your results. How many miles or hours did you put on the engine during the 8 months? How many engines have you run on this? What is the total hours run for all engines?

Pump clearances don't get much lower than 5-10 micron. Problem is most OTR truck engines don't even have injection pumps anymore. They use hydraulic actuated injectors. In newer engines it's the injectors you have to worry about. Modern injectors have tolerances of anywhere from .5-5 micron and the tolerances are getting tighter all the time. A set of 6 injectors can run $4,000 and up.

/ used engine oil as diesel #20  
I was researching some info on the GM Duramax engines and injector issues and learned that a set of injectors for my truck is around $3,800 (I think that's installed...) :eek:

Somethin' like 22,000 psi operating pressure!!!

Methinks I'll stick with the stuff at the pump...

AKfish