used engine oil as diesel

/ used engine oil as diesel #31  
Not worth damaging a diesel engine but why not filter it into your oil furnace. For a amount you of waste old you would add (for the average homeowner) and diluted furnace oil I think that would be a much better solution. Besides, right now home heating fuel is 10 cents more a liter than coloured :confused: so the payoff is better.

Edit: I guess this won't work if you use electric or propane, etc.;)

/ used engine oil as diesel #32  
I hope fuel costs stay where they are now or even lower, but who knows. What we saw last year doesn't inspire confidence. If we're truly going into another Depression, this is an idea that might need to be revisited. If it's a choice between not using our orange/green/blue/red buddies at all and stretching our diesel with a certain percentage of waste oil, I think Kosher fuel rules might go out the window for many of us.

Rather than dismiss the whole thing, we might do better to identify what's needed to do this as safely as possible and begin acquiring what's required to make it work. With a trillion dollar porkulus spending bill staring us in the face, we can't assume that yesterday's practices will have any validity tomorrow...no matter how well reasoned.

I'm thankful for the people who are trying this and giving us the benefit of their experience.
Bob

/ used engine oil as diesel #33  
There is a group of people that use 50-50 engine oil and diesel in duramax and cummins trucks. They filter the engine oil first, mix and add to the truck. Reports are of 200,000 miles and up on the brew.

your ability to believe them is up to you. Like the old man used to say, if your friends all jump off a cliff are you going too?

jb

/ used engine oil as diesel #34  
after 3 months i run my kubota L2900 1996 with used oil and no problem here in montreal the price fuel is $1.10 ltrs i make 3 gallons with 1 gallons of fuel i saved .70 cents ltrs i put $50 a week in my pocket my friend do the same thing since 8 months

According to his math, he's putting 71 gallons of fuel a week through a Kubota L2900. Certainly not impossible, but quite improbable.
71 liters.

/ used engine oil as diesel #36  
bout' 18.75 gallons or so.

soundguy

/ used engine oil as diesel #37  
I think some of you guys are being alarmists and infusing scare thought into readers heads.
All that is being asked about is moving the oil from it's life below the piston's top ring to a quick life above the piston's top ring. If you are going to treat the idea of burning it, as if the oil has particles that need to be filtered out, then be fair and talk about the reality of what kind of person whould run their crankcase oil so long and hard that they would have such debris in their crankcase oil? If I had a choice of using oil with foreign mattter for either combustion, or as a crankcase oil- I would rather burn it anyway. I beleive if it was really that bad it would do less harm going out an exhaust valve, and not as my main bearing lubrication... but that's just me.
O.K. I'm done.

/ used engine oil as diesel #38  
If you are going to treat the idea of burning it, as if the oil has particles that need to be filtered out, then be fair and talk about the reality of what kind of person whould run their crankcase oil so long and hard that they would have such debris in their crankcase oil? If I had a choice of using oil with foreign mattter for either combustion, or as a crankcase oil- I would rather burn it anyway. I beleive if it was really that bad it would do less harm going out an exhaust valve, and not as my main bearing lubrication... but that's just me.
O.K. I'm done.

Are you saying that you don't know / think that your crankcase oil in a diesel has soot in it?

Ever notice how fast diesel oil turns black after an oil change? There's no dye pack in there making it change! ;)

soundguy

/ used engine oil as diesel #39  
VW diesels used to scare the heck out of people every once in a while, the engine would start to run away, and turning off the key would not stop it.
Why? In serious blow-by situations in old engines, the motor oil would get entrained in the blow-by gases which are introduced into the intake manifold. I installed a special plastic baffle (purpose built for this issue) between the valves and the valve cover to make sure oil could not get into the blow -by gasses.

I would not be afraid to burn MY used motor oil in a diesel. My oil...not someone elses.

This should be sufficient:
Filter through a 5 micron filter. I might possibly employ a magnet. I would go to the drug store and get a cheap roll of ph strips to make sure the buffers in the engine oil are not depleted and allowing the oil to become acidic.
Then their should be no problem.

If I do it, it won't be to save a buck. It will be because I have more and more trouble getting rid of my old oil. Also, within a year, ultra low sulfur fuel will be universal, and lubricity may become an issue.

In my old VW's I used to put a quart of new ATF fluid in each tankful.

/ used engine oil as diesel #40  
The place you buy your new oil won't take your old oil?

soundguy