Used Montana vs New LS

/ Used Montana vs New LS
Now I am certain that parts would be available for the montana. But is there an exact model for the LS tractor equivalent to work with. If you went to an LS dealer it would be helpful to know, so parts would be easier to source. The whole new vs used thing is fine and dandy, but in my location used compact tractors with a loader demand a premium. Sometimes only 2 to 3 grand cheaper than new with a couple hundred hours on the machine. To me, the warranty is well worth it in this situation. Every area is different I know. But why would I buy a used kubota from 6 years back for 17,000 with 250 hours with no warranty when i could buy new for 20000. Or better yet buy the Kioti equivalent new for 16,900. This is what i worked with when purchasing. The montana seems like a good deal and price is in line with what i would consider acceptable. The only other thing that can be a problem with used, is you need to take some time and look through the fluids. IF something seems off, or a fluid level is low. Then chances are whoever owned the machine didnt take care of it as well as they should have and you could have more issues down the road.

I would be buying this from an LS dealer, I'll go over it again when I stop by there hopefully today!

/ Used Montana vs New LS #22  
I wouldn't worry so much about a warranty, or for that matter dealer location. I think of it as paying extra, like a lottery tkt, betting that something major will break. Sometimes sourcing/installing your own replacement parts is less work/hassle than beating a fair shake out of a reluctant dealer on a warranty issue.

Easy for me to say because I do my own service work and have backup tractors if one goes down. In a dozen years and five tractors (only one bot new) I've never been to a dealer 'cept for fluids and filters. I'm saving money and gambling that I won't bust what I can't fix. :laughing:

/ Used Montana vs New LS #23  
I would be buying this from an LS dealer, I'll go over it again when I stop by there hopefully today!

Ask that dealer specifically which LS Model that Montana equates to. It may not be an exact clone in which case parts might be an issue. Ask the parts department about their comfort level with finding and providing parts for a Montana.

/ Used Montana vs New LS #24  
Ask that dealer specifically which LS Model that Montana equates to. It may not be an exact clone in which case parts might be an issue. Ask the parts department about their comfort level with finding and providing parts for a Montana.

^^This is pretty important. Can you get simple things like filters? How about an oil drain plug, a handle for one of the control levers, a steering tie rod, a wheel if one is destroyed, a new grille if you clobber the old one, a taillight? How about a clutch, ROPS, brakes? Instrumentation?

Have them pull up the parts situation on these parts and see if any or all of them are available. Some people don't care about a busted taillight or damaged grille, but I do. And if you cannot put things right when they go wrong, the condition, appearance and value of the tractor will decline over time quicker than a tractor that is kept up. Also, frustration with finding parts is not for me.

/ Used Montana vs New LS #25  
I was recently looking at a used G series LS tractor, however really felt like I should bump up to an XR class. I was just about set on a LS XR4140 hydro for $23,700, when the dealer also showed me a 2005, I believe, Montana 4344 hydro he had for $12,900 with 530 hours.

He said that model is an LS, same class of tractor, about 400lbs lighter, smaller tires (43" instead of the 48"). IS there any major difference on why I should spend an additional 10k? The financing works out to be about $100 a month different due to new having a longer 84 month term vs used at 60 months.

Are the loaders comparable? I measured the Montana as a 66" bucket, LS 72", not sure if the LS is much stronger or not. He was saying pretty much everything else was the same. I'd like to find a used backhoe as well, which makes the price of the montana a little more enticing, and he has a bush hog 750H for $2900.

He gave me a quote of $29,000 for a new XR4140h with backhoe, but now we're getting a little too high for me.

Just remember: When you go to sell the tractor (out of production Montana) that you got a "good deal" on, you will have a VERY limited number of lookers, and THEY will want an even better.... "good deal".

/ Used Montana vs New LS #26  
^^This is pretty important. Can you get simple things like filters? How about an oil drain plug, a handle for one of the control levers, a steering tie rod, a wheel if one is destroyed, a new grille if you clobber the old one, a taillight? How about a clutch, ROPS, brakes? Instrumentation?

Have them pull up the parts situation on these parts and see if any or all of them are available. Some people don't care about a busted taillight or damaged grille, but I do. And if you cannot put things right when they go wrong, the condition, appearance and value of the tractor will decline over time quicker than a tractor that is kept up. Also, frustration with finding parts is not for me.

Whereas, you can often get the parts you need from a nearby New Holland dealer - many NH CUT models are identical to the LS except for cosmetics and attachments.

/ Used Montana vs New LS #27  
Ok, i did a little digger on tractor data. best i can tell, the montana R4344 being this link TractorData.com Montana R4344 tractor information

The closest thing in the LS lineup would be this link LS Rio R41 TractorData.com LS Rio R41 tractor information

I based this on the engine displacement basically identical, tractor weight, hydraulic pump flow, 3 pt capacity, and tire sizes are all basically dead on or within acceptable rounding based on figures entered into the database.

Now they are also manufactured in similar timeline as well.

I couldnt find a new holland that matched up like the montana and LS did. It may be in a weird timeline where newholland was just getting into importing LS Tractors. I dont see really much evidence to support that a new holland dealer would be able to help you. Not saying there isnt one, just that it may be similar but too different if you needed a motor specific part like a cylinder head, or fuel parts. Alot of the electrical parts would likely be used across many model numbers from LS and montana so probably safe on that.

So i would check into that LS R41 to see how available parts are from LS.

I am not an expert , just my observations.

/ Used Montana vs New LS #28  

The point of my post was to check with that LS Dealer in advance about their ability to get parts for you. Some dealers get funny about that. I'm not saying never buy an orphan tractor - just be aware of the risks. My first CUT was a 15hp grey Market Shibaura, with rice paddy tires.. Talk about an orphan! , but it only cost me $2,500, and my budget at that time said "You get a tractor!". I did a bunch of work with it over about 4 years and sold it for $2,500.

That said, some orphan tractor owners have had issues (Farmtrac, Century, etc.)

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

/ Used Montana vs New LS #29  
From the pics I saw online, the R4344 uses the Montana model 100 loader. Here are the specs for it.

Manufacturer Montana Tractors
Model 100

DIMENSIONS
Bucket Height 60.3 in.
Bucket Width 66 in.
MEASUREMENTS
Bucket Capacity 9 cu. ft.
Lift Capacity 1,585 lbs.(at max. height)
2,360 lbs. (to 59 in.)
Lift Height Maximum: 93 in.
Level Bucket: 86 in.
Clearance 75.8 in. (dumped, from hood)
Dump Angle 24°
Reach Height Dumped (at max. angle): 45.8 in.
Ground Level: 67 in.
Attachment Rollback 18° (ground level)
Dig Depth 3 in.
Operating Speed Raise: 5 sec.
Lower: 3 sec.
Dump: 3.6 sec.
Rollback: 2.4 sec.

/ Used Montana vs New LS #30  
The point of my post was to check with that LS Dealer in advance about their ability to get parts for you. Some dealers get funny about that. I'm not saying never buy an orphan tractor - just be aware of the risks. My first CUT was a 15hp grey Market Shibaura, with rice paddy tires.. Talk about an orphan! , but it only cost me $2,500, and my budget at that time said "You get a tractor!". I did a bunch of work with it over about 4 years and sold it for $2,500.

That said, some orphan tractor owners have had issues (Farmtrac, Century, etc.)

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

A lot of people have Shibura built tractors in the US. They are just painted blue and have Ford or New Holland painted on them. They make a great tractor. I have one a 1993 Ford 1920. They make Ford compact tractors for decades. In his case LS built the tractor and now sell their own now and they should be able to assist on parts.