Used or new....needing some advice to calm my jacked brain.

/ Used or new....needing some advice to calm my jacked brain. #1  

rj0530

Tractor
2004 Branson 4020
So....here are the particulars as best I can recollect em. I own a lawn and landscape business. I also have 3 acres at home covered up in oaks with plans to do plenty of tractor work that needs done. I also believe I can put the tractor to work moving downed trees as well as bush hog to supplement my business. I have a couple thousand worth of tree work lined up now...waiting on a tractor. I either need to buy or rent one to complete the job. now on to my conundrum.

I've found a 04 Branson 4020 (428 hrs) with a BL 20 loader, backhoe, box blade, bush hog and 18' dove tail trailer for $15k.
The tractor had a couple leaking cylinders when I tested it (owner is getting them fixed now) I also noticed when I tried to use the FEL to pick up the front end, it didn't really do it like I thought it should. Maybe after new cylinders are on...try it again. So to sum up the Branson. No dealer in the state but shipping and other folks work on tractors around here would solve that. It has everything I need except a grapple of some sort with the big question mark of "will the tractor do what I need it to do for a good long time and would anybody other than myself around here buy a used Branson..most have never even heard of it. It would beat the heck out my checking account to do it.

I've looked at new. I believe I need to stay at 40hp or above and close to 4k lbs weight on the tractor to be able to make money with it but now am wondering if I would be ok with smaller, although I really don't think so. New 40-45 hp 4x4 with FEL is priced mid 20's and up. Looking hard at an LS XR 4145H with bucket grapple on rear remote for $24. Loved this thing. Also, Kubota MX4800 shuttle with FEL for about $25.5. Also a Kubota L3901DT for right at $21. The issue with new is strapping my family with payments for many moons to come vs emptying the checking account and being done with it. Slowly gravitating towards new, putting 5k down and dealing with pmts.

So..couple questions here. New with payments/warranty/know it should work or dealer fix/still having to buy trailer to haul it and implements or used with empty checking account for a bit/hope like **** all works on the tractor/no dealer near me/will it do what I need it to?
Second question is based on assumption of new. Brand...both dealers seem to be pretty good. LS has more options at less $ but Kubota has the resale value that I'm not sure LS could match. With that being said, not sure why I would ever sell unless business grows and I need bigger/better type deal.

There's the skinny on the deal. Got a lot of help on my question of how much to grapple up the Branson, would love to hear your thoughts on new vs used.

PS..Haven't really found anything else that seems to be a good deal in the used market. Thanks and let me know your thoughts.

/ Used or new....needing some advice to calm my jacked brain. #2  
I tend to always recommend new. You'll get a warranty and zero percent financing. I personally wouldn't put down any money unless the dealer is making you. I don't mind to have zero interest notes when I have the money in the bank. There is hardly any risk. However, if you have a truck break down or emergency home repair I much rather have cash in the bank or safe vs a paid off tractor. When financing thru kubota you have to get the KTAC insurance or furnish your own. KTAC is awesome and a big perk for kubota.

I like the mx4800/5100 but with hydrostatic. It'll make your life easier when doing tree work or grapple stuff. The gear is nice if it's just going Round and round shredding but when loader work or anything else needs done it's hydostatic all the way

Brett

/ Used or new....needing some advice to calm my jacked brain. #3  
BRANSON LINK: TractorData.com Branson 4�2� tractor information

Branson 4020 very near same specs as my Kubota L3560. For commercial work I would not buy one pound lighter than Branson 4020 bare tractor weight of 3,624 pounds. $15,000 is certainly an attractive price for the package, assuming the machine is in good shape. For commercial application I would fill the rear tires 3/4 with liquid, for stability.

As the Florida soil you will be working is probably soft, and the land flat, like mine, the Branson 4020 may be just enough. I trust you will not have employees under the age of 45 years operating the tractor.

There is at least one Branson dealer in Florida, Lee's near Branford. I pass Lee occasionally. Lee displays plenty of Branson inventory. Branson is Lee's sole tractor brand.

Google search shows three Branson dealers in north Florida.
Branson tractor dealers in Florida - Google Search

I have read on T-B-N that Branson buys its loaders from several US manufacturers and that some are better than others. (Note: this is what I have read, NOT what I know.) I would go to the Branson specific forum here and spend an hour or two reading Branson specific threads. You could call Lee and discuss my Branson loader comment.

You can start a more specific thread: ADVICE WANTED: USED BRANSON 4020 IN FLORIDA. Copy in the germane parts of this thread.

If buying new I suggest HST transmission. You will be hiring casual labor and HST will be safer around bumptious, incautious workers.

If you consider an MX also consider equivalent Grand L. MX and larger Grand Ls share same heavy-chassis. The HST/PLUS transmission on the Grand Ls improves productivity considerably. Worth the expense in commercial application.

Photos are MAX loads. I seldom work my tractor at MAX.
Tractor reliability is primarily a function of the prudence and experience of the operator.

Attachments

• DSC00025.jpg
    DSC00025.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 129
  • DSC00022.jpg
    DSC00022.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 120
  • DSC00535.JPG
    DSC00535.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 104
  • DSC00542.JPG
    DSC00542.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 122
  • DSC00177.jpg
    DSC00177.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 107
  • DSC00178.jpg
    DSC00178.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 91
  • DSC00692.JPG
    DSC00692.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 99
  • DSC00377.jpg
    DSC00377.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
Last edited:
   / Used or new....needing some advice to calm my jacked brain. #4  
TractorData.com Branson 42 tractor information

Branson 4020 has almost exact same specs as my Kubota L3560. For commercial work I would not go one pound lighter than Branson bare tractor weight of 3,624 pounds. I trust you will not have employees under the age of 45 years operating the tractor. $15,000 is certainly an attractive price for the package.

There is at least one Branson dealer in Florida, Lee's near Branford. I pass it occasionally. Google search shows three Branson dealers in Florida.
Branson tractor dealers in Florida - Google Search

What's the deal with anyone under the age of 45? My 5 year old can operate a tractor better than some 50 year olds?

That goes for a track hoe too

Brett

/ Used or new....needing some advice to calm my jacked brain. #5  
Welcome to TBN........
Any of the tractors you mention would work well for you. My tractor is an LS XR3037HC (36HP) and weighs over 5K with loader and loaded rear tires. Loader lift is over 2K. I bought LS because of the lower price, new tractor warranty and it came with dual rear remotes. 3 years old now and no issues. Whatever tractor you get in that HP range with implements would push the limits of a cheaper 7K car or equipment trailer so keep in mind you'll need an 8-12K rated trailer. I don't plan to sell my LS but they have been building tractors for many years for various brands and I see prices rising each year which keeps the resale value going up. With a down payment and low monthly payments your business can have some tax write-offs.
Good luck with your choice.

/ Used or new....needing some advice to calm my jacked brain. #6  
Do you need the backhoe? It's adding a lot to the price. You probably do need the trailer unless you already have one.

I'd rent a tractor and do the jobs now. That's better than buying something in a hurry. Renting you may find that the tractor's not the best thing for your work and perhaps a track loader works better.

I like my Branson and my dealer but if I was using the tractor to make money I'd probably have my business buy a Kubota on zero down, or rent while waiting for a good used one. My Branson dealer will ship parts but I can get Kubota parts locally the same day if I need to. As a homeowner I can wait a few days for parts to arrive; as a tractor using business I can't do those jobs if the tractor is down. I can plan to keep a tractor for twenty years; as a business I'd be much more likely to sell sooner, either because I'm trading up or it's worn out or I'm going out of business or no longer doing jobs that need a tractor.

The BL25 loader I have on my 3725 has about a 2100 lb capacity at max lift. It can pick up a bucket full of Eucalyptus rounds (heavy hardwood) with no problem. I'm going to fit a grapple to it.

/ Used or new....needing some advice to calm my jacked brain. #7  
What's the deal with anyone under the age of 45? My 5 year old can operate a tractor better than some 50 year olds?

Brett

I would rather have an older guy with a little maturity than a hot rodder run my stuff. It takes more than pulling the gas pedal and pulling a few lever to operate a piece used for a business correctly. Generally.

/ Used or new....needing some advice to calm my jacked brain. #8  

Brett

Why the challenging tone?

Your five year old probably has more sense and less distraction than a testosterone laden twenty-something. Tractor reliability is primarily a function of the prudence and experience of the operator. I forecast that a 18 to 35 year old employee operating the relatively light Branson in commercial work will roll it or break it within five working days.

Last edited:
   / Used or new....needing some advice to calm my jacked brain. #9  
I would rather have an older guy with a little maturity than a hot rodder run my stuff. It takes more than pulling the gas pedal and pulling a few lever to operate a piece used for a business correctly. Generally.

I wouldn't rule younger people out. I've grown up running equipment. Can't say I've ever torn anything up. Talking big 8 wheel ag tractors to dozers, hoes and everything in between except a crane. It's finding the right guy but a blanket statement seems harsh.

Your five year old probably has more sense than a testosterone laden twenty-something. Tractor reliability is primarily a function of the prudence and experience of the operator. I can forecast considerable accuracy that a 18 to 35 year old employee operating the relatively light Branson in commercial work will break it or roll it the first or second day.

I'm a testerone fueled (my T is greater than 1500) 33 year old and again never rolled or damaged equipment. I'd take a kid like I was over a 40 year old that's never ran equipment. As we age our reactions slow and the older guys I've been around have a harder time being efficient and safe as quick. They generally are more safety minded but that means they second guess everything and I'm my experience that has caused more issues than the other. You find a smarter younger guy than understand if something happens to the tractor they get a shovel you'll be amazed how well they will tend to the equipment.

For reference I'm not talking about a city kid that plays video games but a normal kid that has worked outside before around equipment

Brett

/ Used or new....needing some advice to calm my jacked brain.
I tend to always recommend new. You'll get a warranty and zero percent financing. I personally wouldn't put down any money unless the dealer is making you. I don't mind to have zero interest notes when I have the money in the bank. There is hardly any risk. However, if you have a truck break down or emergency home repair I much rather have cash in the bank or safe vs a paid off tractor. When financing thru kubota you have to get the KTAC insurance or furnish your own. KTAC is awesome and a big perk for kubota.

I like the mx4800/5100 but with hydrostatic. It'll make your life easier when doing tree work or grapple stuff. The gear is nice if it's just going Round and round shredding but when loader work or anything else needs done it's hydostatic all the way

Brett

Very well said..thank you..I agree that 1k up front for hydro is warranted.