Used or new....needing some advice to calm my jacked brain.

/ Used or new....needing some advice to calm my jacked brain.
BRANSON LINK: TractorData.com Branson 4�2� tractor information

Branson 4020 very near same specs as my Kubota L3560. For commercial work I would not buy one pound lighter than Branson 4020 bare tractor weight of 3,624 pounds. $15,000 is certainly an attractive price for the package, if the machine is in good shape. For commercial application I would fill the rear tires 3/4 with liquid, for stability.

As the Florida soil you will be working is probably soft, and the land flat, like mine, the Branson 4020 may be just enough. I trust you will not have employees under the age of 45 years operating the tractor.

There is at least one Branson dealer in Florida, Lee's near Branford. I pass Lee occasionally. Lee always displays plenty of Branson inventory, his sole tractor brand.

Google search shows three Branson dealers in north Florida.
Branson tractor dealers in Florida - Google Search

I have read on T-B-N that Branson buys its loaders from various US manufacturers and that some are better than others. (Note: this is what I have read, not what I know.) I would go to the Branson specific forum here and spend an hour or two reading Branson specific threads. You could call Lee and discuss my Branson loader comment. You can also start a more specific thread: ADVICE WANTED: USED BRANSON 4020 IN FLORIDA.

If buying new I suggest HST transmission. You will be hiring casual labor and HST will be safer around bumptious, incautious workers.

If you consider an MX also consider equivalent Grand L. MX and larger Grand Ls share same heavy-chassis. The HST/PLUS transmission on the Grand Ls improves productivity considerably. Worth the expense.

Photos are MAX loads. I seldom work my tractor at MAX.
Tractor reliability is primarily a function of the prudence and experience of the operator.

Again, great advice..I've od'd on Branson forum. Only a couple post on 4020, one complaining of hydro issues with front bkt. I'm really leaning towards new. My wife is bout demanding it now.

Welcome to TBN........
Any of the tractors you mention would work well for you. My tractor is an LS XR3037HC (36HP) and weighs over 5K with loader and loaded rear tires. Loader lift is over 2K. I bought LS because of the lower price, new tractor warranty and it came with dual rear remotes. 3 years old now and no issues. Whatever tractor you get in that HP range with implements would push the limits of a cheaper 7K car or equipment trailer so keep in mind you'll need an 8-12K rated trailer. I don't plan to sell my LS but they have been building tractors for many years for various brands and I see prices rising each year which keeps the resale value going up. With a down payment and low monthly payments your business can have some tax write-offs.
Good luck with your choice.

Yep..again, wife is demanding LS...most likely because dealer had a sleeping grandbaby on the couch whilst we were talking. I've learned to really lean on my wifes gut feelings in stuff like this..

/ Used or new....needing some advice to calm my jacked brain. #13  
Yep..again, wife is demanding LS...most likely because dealer had a sleeping grandbaby on the couch whilst we were talking. I've learned to really lean on my wifes gut feelings in stuff like this..

Nothing wrong with LS. I crawled all over an LS XR4000 Series (4,300 pounds, bare tractor) at the Sunbelt Ag Expo two years ago. I was impressed.

You should make time for the Sunbelt Ag Expo in Moultrie, Georgia, October 17-18-19. All tractor manufacturers are there and you can converse with factory reps for hours.
LINK: Sunbelt Ag Expo in Moultrie, Georgia – North America’s Premier Farm Show(R)

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with LS. I crawled all over an LS XR4000 Series (4,300 pounds, bare tractor) at the Sunbelt Ag Expo two years ago. I was impressed.

You should make time for the Sunbelt Ag Expo in Moultrie, Georgia, October 17-18-19. All tractor manufacturers are there and you can talk to KNOWLEDGEABLE factory reps for hours.
LINK: Sunbelt Ag Expo in Moultrie, Georgia – North America’s Premier Farm Show(R)

I'm supposed to be heading up to hunt camp for a week but I really need to work Thursday I'm afraid. Man, I would like to make this.

/ Used or new....needing some advice to calm my jacked brain. #15  
Sometimes, you just can't beat a Woman's perspective. After the Wife gave in to my begging for a tractor, I began searching the "used" market. She put the kibosh on that idea in a hurry. Didn't need somebody else's crap that you know nothing about. She wanted me to buy New and exactly what I wanted, for a change. I had delivered a LS XR3135H with the cab, fel and a backhoe. Having fun, getting some work done and plan on this lasting for the rest of my life.

Sometimes, you just can't beat a Woman's perspective. After the Wife gave in to my begging for a tractor, I began searching the "used" market. She put the kibosh on that idea in a hurry. Didn't need somebody else's crap that you know nothing about. She wanted me to buy New and exactly what I wanted, for a change. I had delivered a LS XR3135H with the cab, fel and a backhoe. Having fun, getting some work done and plan on this lasting for the rest of my life.

Congrats...wish I knew more. I wonder if in fact the smaller tractor would serve my needs better. Sure would be better on the pocket book. Need to look at specs on that tractor. Lots of folks buying them.

/ Used or new....needing some advice to calm my jacked brain. #17  
I would recommend new if your going to finance, because usually you can extend the years where as if you need to finance a used, your payment could be similar to a new one just shorter term. In my experience better to get new with warranty in that situation. USed, if issues arise you are responsible for the costs and it can cover the gap between new and used quickly. Especially with the korean tractors coming in at the prices they have. I would recommend a used if it is quite a bit older, and cheaper. if its 8 grand and under you can find a serviceable unit that could blow a motor get a rebuilt clutch and still be cheaper than the newer used.( within last 10 years.). I looked at used ones for about 1 week and realized i didnt want to pay the used prices people want, sometimes just 3 to 5 grand less than new. To me, 3000 more to buy a new unit i can age with and be in charge of its maintenance is good insurance. Equipment is pricey and when you add a backhoe and stuff it can change alot. But for a basic loader and tractor new can be very attractive.

/ Used or new....needing some advice to calm my jacked brain. #18  
I battled new & used for a bit. But like has been mentioned, between the zero %, warranty, and knowing you're not buying a headache it helped make my decision. Also the wife insisted new, no argument there.

If doing alot of loader work I would suggest HST & loaded rears.

/ Used or new....needing some advice to calm my jacked brain. #19  
Do people not die in Florida? My neighbor bought a Massey Ferguson tractor new 10 years ago. It has a front loader and 770 hrs on it. Always kept in pole barn with concrete floors. Tri Star trailer selling same day as is the bush hog mower and 6 foot snow blower. The owner died 4 years ago and wife is selling his stuff at public auction. It is a absolute sale. If I needed a tractor this would be the way to go.

/ Used or new....needing some advice to calm my jacked brain. #20  
Do people not die in Florida? My neighbor bought a Massey Ferguson tractor new 10 years ago. It has a front loader and 770 hrs on it. Always kept in pole barn with concrete floors. Tri Star trailer selling same day as is the bush hog mower and 6 foot snow blower. The owner died 4 years ago and wife is selling his stuff at public auction. It is a absolute sale. If I needed a tractor this would be the way to go.

I live in SE GA and most auctions here good used tractors still bring a premium.