Buying Advice Used tractor for snow removal and mowing fields

/ Used tractor for snow removal and mowing fields #1  

ctichenor

Tractor
None yet
I'm a total newbie when it comes to tractors. We have a B&B surrounded by about 20 acres of grass fields with about 3500 ft of driveway and parking lot.
I already have a mower, which is not a tractor, for the grass around the house, but it's not appropriate for cutting the grass in the fields.
I was going to get a used pickup with a plow for the snow on the driveway and a small used tractor to clear the grass in the fields.
I was wondering if I could get both plowing and field mowing done less expensively with just a used tractor. That way I could kill two birds with one stone.
It typically snows less than a foot in our region. We have about 3500 ft. of paved driveway to plow.
There are about 20 acres of grass fields to cut. There aren't any hills.

/ Used tractor for snow removal and mowing fields #2  
Add a rear blade and 4wd (or chains) to the tractor cost. And then deal with being out in the cold and wind when doing the snow removal.

I'd vote for a plow truck if it were mine. Trucks can be used for a ton of other things too, if you dont already have a truck.

/ Used tractor for snow removal and mowing fields
Yes, pickup is good for getting supplies in town. I guess the cost of used 4WD tractor+cab+plow+mower might exceed the cost of a used pickup+plow and 2WD tractor+mower?

/ Used tractor for snow removal and mowing fields #4  
Do you really need a cab? I expect yhat would add a lot to the price of a used tractor. You might look in Craigslist for used tractors in your area. While snowplowing can be done with a 2wd tractor with rear chains, you probably want 4wd if you are going to use it for plowing. Chains are around $300 and a used rear blade plow can be had for $200ish . You need to be aware of the differences between a rear finish mower and a brush hogging and decide which you need for your field.

A 4wd plow truck will be warmer and faster and you probably have plenty to do with your time. But mind you things breakdown at the most inopportune time.

Good luck and let us know what you go with.

/ Used tractor for snow removal and mowing fields #5  
Thats kinda what I was getting at:thumbsup:

All depends on what is available in YOUR area in the way of used plow trucks and used tractors.

/ Used tractor for snow removal and mowing fields #6  
Thats kinda what I was getting at:thumbsup:

All depends on what is available in YOUR area in the way of used plow trucks and used tractors.

Yep. I guess I just used more words. Lol

/ Used tractor for snow removal and mowing fields #10  
Forgive my ignorance of tractors - Will a Kubota B7400 be able to mow 20 acres in a reasonable amount of time?

What is a "reasonable amount of time" to you?

Give us the time you can stand mowing when the thermometer is over 94 degrees.

A B7400 can pull a 48" Rotary Cutter, so you can cut a 42" swath with 6" overlap.