/ Used vegetable oil vs Fluid Film lubricating BX snowblower #1  

tractorgp

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25
Here's a video that I just finished.

/ Used vegetable oil vs Fluid Film lubricating BX snowblower #2  
Interesting.
I grab anything for snowblower. Spray on veg oil, Pam, wd40, silicone, chain spray (should lube and stick right?).
Safety police going to want to hear about your technique of blowing into the road? Lol.

/ Used vegetable oil vs Fluid Film lubricating BX snowblower #3  
Anyone consider a big tub of vegetable shortening (Crisco)? If you smeared that on, would it work better than a spray on liquid product?

/ Used vegetable oil vs Fluid Film lubricating BX snowblower
Interesting.
I grab anything for snowblower. Spray on veg oil, Pam, wd40, silicone, chain spray (should lube and stick right?).
Safety police going to want to hear about your technique of blowing into the road? Lol.

Well my original intention was to do a video on blowing the snow mound across the road and clearing it up in one straight run. I ran into some video technical trouble and the video got corrupted. So I just used what footage you see in this video and combined it with the veggie oil stuff. I purposely waited for a quiet time on the street to do the clearing. The road ended up nice and clear by the time I was finished.

Anyone consider a big tub of vegetable shortening (Crisco)? If you smeared that on, would it work better than a spray on liquid product?

I haven't tried that but getting the shortening down the chute might be a problem. However, one thing I didn't mention in the video is the danger of spraying (any product) in a confined space... proper precautions should be taken.

/ Used vegetable oil vs Fluid Film lubricating BX snowblower #6  
I've always had snow sticking in my snowblower, and after reading the posts here I sprayed it with fluid film (since I already had some) now just waiting for some snow so I can try it out. Ever since that first storm in early November we have gotten nothing but rain here.

I've always had snow sticking in my snowblower, and after reading the posts here I sprayed it with fluid film (since I already had some) now just waiting for some snow so I can try it out. Ever since that first storm in early November we have gotten nothing but rain here.

I learned of Fluid Film here too and was using it up to now.

/ Used vegetable oil vs Fluid Film lubricating BX snowblower #8  
The issue with used vegetable oil will always be that it will attract vermin and the Fluid Film will not.

I only spray a little bit of fluid film on the parts that contact snow and in that way I avoid wasting it every time.

You should go back to using fluid film as the old oil will attract mice and rats both inside and out of the home.

/ Used vegetable oil vs Fluid Film lubricating BX snowblower #9  
If spraying a blower or blade where you're going to use it soon and wear off the coating, I'd say any oil or grease will work similar. The big advantage of FF is long term storage where it stays slick and soft and provides rust protection as well as slickens the surface. Vegetable oil gets gummy and sticky, eventually drying to a tacky varnish-like surface that's hard to clean.

/ Used vegetable oil vs Fluid Film lubricating BX snowblower #10  
Try oven cleaner when veggie oil gets like that.