Useful attachments adapted to PT ?

/ Useful attachments adapted to PT ?
Has anyone added a debris deflector to the brush cutter deck to stop this debris from accumulating? I'm thinking that might work.

I'm also surprised at how much the deck is tilted towards the operator when lifted. I'm already seeing that I'd like to raise the deck to cut some brush, but don't like the deck opening pointed back at me. On a 3pt tractor, raising the cutting deck puts the deck between the operator and the blades.

Also, can anyone point me to a good SSQA adapter? The cheap ones I'm seeing have reviews saying they are too short or the locking rods broke.

PT debris.jpg

/ Useful attachments adapted to PT ? #62  
If you're going to lift the mower deck while it's spinning, at the least, curl the FEL back as far as it will go. On my PT425, at the farthest curl setting, it will point the blades more down.

I try to avoid lifting it as much as possible. I do it. But really, it's pretty easy to turn the mower off, lift the mower a couple feet, drive over the stuff and smash it down with the deck. Then back up, lower the deck, turn it back on, and grind up the stuff with the deck only a foot or so off the ground.

I respect that brush cutter more than any other implement/tool that I own.

I think adding a debris deflector would also help protect the operator, but I'm not sure if it will decrease the cutting efficiency of the deck to the point that it's not worth it. Maybe a chain guard would help with reducing debris build up and increase operator safety?

/ Useful attachments adapted to PT ? #64  
I think adding a debris deflector would also help protect the operator, but I'm not sure if it will decrease the cutting efficiency of the deck to the point that it's not worth it. Maybe a chain guard would help with reducing debris build up and increase operator safety?
Experiment around. I think a few have tried. But I'd be concerned the chains or rubber guard would either be hit by the blade or run over by the tractor.

I'm not really understanding why the arc of travel on the PT tilt is designed this way? It seems like the pivot point should be lower relative to the ground so that the front of the deck can be tilted upward and the back of the deck tilted downward away from the operator when raised.

/ Useful attachments adapted to PT ? #66  
@2manyrocks I would suggest reading a few of the older posts on the brush mower deck.

Experiment around. I think a few have tried. But I'd be concerned the chains or rubber guard would either be hit by the blade or run over by the tractor.
I think that when @2manyrocks goes over the older posts, my recollection is that the blade tip does get close to the rear edge / protrudes slightly, so a deflector is not trivial. Didn't someone try a shield on the front of their power-Trac? (Or am I undergoing a non-AI hallucination?)

I don't lift my deck except to transport it or service it. I did try @MossRoad's lift and squash method, and found that @MossRoad's fork lift and then mow method more effective for my brush. I haven't needed to mow something that large for close to fifteen years. If I have learned anything it is that everybody's mowing needs are different.
I'm not really understanding why the arc of travel on the PT tilt is designed this way? It seems like the pivot point should be lower relative to the ground so that the front of the deck can be tilted upward and the back of the deck tilted downward away from the operator when raised.
@2manyrocks Can you take a close look at the deck of your brush mower. Can you photograph the bolt pattern at the base of the tower that meets the deck? Can you also photograph the inside and the outside area of the swivel at the Q/A plate to show the lower bolts there? Thanks!

All the best,

Peter

I have a lot of sizable wood chunks laying in the fields after having forestry mulching done. If I were mowing an established field, it wouldn't be so much of a concern.

The rear of the mower is aimed pretty much at the operator position when the deck is raised to the point where the front wheels are just starting to lift off the ground. I'd rather see the front of the deck tilted up and the rear discharge pointed downwards.

Is there something else I can try?

EmptyName 1.jpgEmptyName.jpgEmptyName 2.jpg

/ Useful attachments adapted to PT ? #68  
You can, and probably should, call Terry and ask if the following works on your model mower and tractor.

I think that you can unbolt the six bolts holding the "tower" on and slide them forward one hole. There is a bolt hole to do that. Not all tractor/mower combinations support that. I would check that your mower wheels, the blade, and the rear of the deck clear your tractor, especially when crossing a swale, or ridge. (i.e. try crossing a ridge/swale with the mower off at low speed watching the potential pinch points.)

I don't know how big your forest mulch is, but is there the possibility of letting that area slide for a season to start composting them?

I have to say that when my mower has tossed big items, they have all gone forward. I get small pieces coming back. Because there is always a chance, I do brush cutting wearing a logging helmet with a face shield, just in case.

All the best,

Peter

/ Useful attachments adapted to PT ? #69  
I have a lot of sizable wood chunks laying in the fields after having forestry mulching done. If I were mowing an established field, it wouldn't be so much of a concern.

The rear of the mower is aimed pretty much at the operator position when the deck is raised to the point where the front wheels are just starting to lift off the ground. I'd rather see the front of the deck tilted up and the rear discharge pointed downwards.

Is there something else I can try?

View attachment 858503View attachment 858504View attachment 858505
Oh.... now I understand. Your brush cutter is much different than mine for the little PT425. My mount is almost in the middle of the deck over the motor, while yours is at the rear.