Useful attachments adapted to PT ?

/ Useful attachments adapted to PT ?
I have welders and a plasma cutter. The PT utility grapple for the 1445 is $3,300 plus shipping. Already own a MTL grapple that is $1,129 including delivery that suits me fine.

So you see why I'm asking what attachments others have adapted.

I have a 2" receiver welded to a quick attach plate.
I put a ring hitch in that and hang the chain with the tongs on that. It's easy to adjust the length of chain...

Short for just dropping the tongs onto a log from the seat, or I can feed it out to grab logs I can't get the machine close enough to.

I have an angle iron welded vertically to the QA plate that I can wrap the excess chain around and hang the hooks on.

View attachment 856263
I ordered the ring hitch. Would you suggest tongs that have two tongs or the ones that have four tongs? Swivel or no swivel if I am using a chain like you are using?

/ Useful attachments adapted to PT ? #43  
Mine just have the two. To be honest, I have no experience other than with these. They don't swivel. Hasn't been a problem. Just hanging from the chain.

Excuse the sloppy operation, as I was recording with one hand and driving and operating the PT425 with the other...

Thanks. Something else that would be handy would be if I could incorporate something to push the logs into final position after dragging them with the tongs.

/ Useful attachments adapted to PT ? #45  
Thanks. Something else that would be handy would be if I could incorporate something to push the logs into final position after dragging them with the tongs.
After I get a few to the landing, I drop the QA plate with the 2" receiver, chain and tongs, pick up my forks, and use those to pile the logs.

Honest. It takes less than 15 seconds to change the implement.

I can't stress that enough. 15 seconds.

That's drop the current attachment, back away, drive up to the next attachment, lift and lock and off you go. You never leave the seat for unpowered attachments.

15 seconds. Done.

Some folks don't believe that.... PT owners/operators know it to be fact.

I have an old video on my website that shows it. It's in WMV format, so if you have a PC it's easy to watch. On a MAC, you'll need some sort of video player that displays WMV.

/ Useful attachments adapted to PT ? #47  
I prefer more than 2 tines on a log grapple. Smaller stuff tends to twist more in the 2 tine grapples and slips out. I added a tine to mine to make it a 3 tine. With a mechanical grapple I often grabbed around the log instead of trying to dig the points into the log. The extra tines give a few more places to grip and bind up the log into the jaws.

I used to use a grapple set up very similar to MossRoad's. I did not have a swivel on mine. The chain gave me the flex needed to snake thru the woods. The extra swivel action can make it a bit tougher to grab a log without leaving the machine. I have since upgraded to a shop built hydraulic grapple and use it as much in a fixed position as a swivel position.

If you can get the grapple high enough, you can hook the butt end of the log under the QA plate and get a similar effect of serrated tine portion of the branch manager grapple you linked to. It doesn't grip as well because it is smooth and you have to be careful of the hoses, but it does work.

Somewhere to wrap extra chain as suggested above is a good idea.

How do you actuate the cylinder on the grapple? I'm not seeing a third function on the PT 1445? Is there some way to add a third function?

/ Useful attachments adapted to PT ? #49  
How do you actuate the cylinder on the grapple? I'm not seeing a third function on the PT 1445? Is there some way to add a third function?
You can either move the Q/A connections to the third function, or you can add a diverter valve as many folks have done.

All the best,

Peter

You can either move the Q/A connections to the third function, or you can add a diverter valve as many folks have done.

All the best,

Peter
So how do you lock the Q/A plate in place if you move the Q/A connections to the third function?

Where would I add a third function and where is it plumbed in if I go that route?

Last edited: