Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch
Thanks for all your advice. It appears to be very clear that one cannot use a cat 2 quick hitch on cat 1 implements without serious modifications to the implement. Thank you for answering that question.

If any of you have ideas or opinions on the best way to share cat 1 implements with a cat 2 3-point hitch (JD 5075e), please feel free to share your ideas. Thanks for all your help.

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #42  
For ease of attaching since it appears from looking in 5075E PC that telescoping draft links aren't an option then I'd suggest Pat's quick attach. which can be utilized on Cat l &/or Cat ll with the correct bushings installed on Cat l draft link pins.

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #43  
For ease of attaching since it appears from looking in 5075E PC that telescoping draft links aren't an option then I'd suggest Pat's quick attach. which can be utilized on Cat l &/or Cat ll with the correct bushings installed on Cat l draft link pins.

Tx Jim is correct. In order to accommodate both Cat 1 and Cat 2 implements on the same tractor, two adjustments are needed.

First, a way to adjust the lower arms to the 26" pin width of Cat 1 and then to the Cat 2 pin width of 32" at will. That is easiest to do if the tractor's lower arms are left free to swing to those measurements. A solid and non-adjustable quick hitch can't do that.

Second, a way to adjust from the lift pin size of 7/8" for Cat 1 to 1 1/8" for Cat 2. That can be accomplished by using a Cat 2 quick hitch and using a bushing on the Cat 1 pins to increase their size to Cat 2 standards. The bushings are relatively inexpensive. There are also (more expensive) replacement Cat 2 pins that will fit in the Cat 1 mounting holes.

The Pat's Easy Change fulfills both of these requirements. But there are other companies that make similar devices. Check eBay.

Another advantage of the Pat's is when there are homemade implements or ones with oddball spacing. The lower arms can be spread or narrowed to accommodate.

The most labor-intensive solution is to modify the Cat 1 and non-conforming implements to fit a Cat 2 solid quick hitch. The other way around is not recommended since Cat 1 hitches are generally of lighter construction. Bushings will still be needed for the Cat 1 lift pins or change them out to Cat 2 pins.

Last edited:
   / Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #44  
TxJim and gwdixon nailed that answer. Excellent description on the differences by gw.

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch
Does anyone have any input on how well the Pats will work with a 1700lb MX8 JD rotary cutter? Will the cat 2 Pats hold up to all that weight over time?

/ Using Category 1 and 2 Equipment With the Same Quick Hitch #46  
Thanks for all your advice. It appears to be very clear that one cannot use a cat 2 quick hitch on cat 1 implements without serious modifications to the implement. Thank you for answering that question.

If any of you have ideas or opinions on the best way to share cat 1 implements with a cat 2 3-point hitch (JD 5075e), please feel free to share your ideas. Thanks for all your help.

If the implement is Cat 1 QH compatible you can easily change it to cat 2 QH by using the extended pins/bushings I showed on page one of this thread. I have a trailer mover, ripper and spreader that I have converted.