Using polycarbonate for a windscreen?

/ Using polycarbonate for a windscreen? #1  

jjeff

Elite Member
Tractor
kubota l2850, kubota l4150
Recently acquired 2 sheets of transparent poly carbonate plastic thinking about making windshields for pull behind snow trailers so when I pull the kids don't get pelted with snow. These trailers will not be used on public snowmobile trails just around my property. So before I dive into this anyone bend or form polycarbonate successfully? Heating them and bending them without a brake? Mostly only have access to heat guns that I think will be beneficial for this project. Or should I build an aluminum frame and either rivet or bolt cut polycarbonate pieces to the frame? The tubs mounted to the ski frames are rounded, flared, and somewhat pieced together. Here's what I'll be working with and other ones similar. Ideas are appreciated.

Attachments

• KIMG2351.JPG
    KIMG2351.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
   / Using polycarbonate for a windscreen? #2  
I have formed poly carbonate using a heat gun and a piece of tubing as a form. You don't need much pressure to bend poly but you do need to heat the entire bend area evenly. I also suggest that you don't try to do too sharp a bend radius either. Somewhere around a 1" radius is probably best to shoot for.

/ Using polycarbonate for a windscreen? #3  
Too late, since you already have the plastic, but... I've done something like this, but I used a windscreen from another sled, that was already shaped. Yes, even heat is needed (have a helper) to bend it w/o cracking.

/ Using polycarbonate for a windscreen? #4  
I have bent polycarbonate with a heat gun. I laid the 1/8 sheet over a 1/2 inch dowel and used a heat gun to gradually heat the area where I wanted the plastic to bend. It worked well. Before I did the job I was told by a guy who did lots of plastic fabrication to heat the polycarbonate quite slowly. The reason for the slow heating was because the plastic can absorb water and if it is heated too fast the water turns into vapor and the plastic ends up with bubbles in the heated area. So I just followed his advice and the bend turned out fine.
Eric

/ Using polycarbonate for a windscreen?
Hopefully you got it filmed.
Are you talking about it being "hard coated" it's not. I don't think the kids will mind to much if it gets a little scratched or discolored. Anyways a plans coming together, however execution of said plan is whole different story lol.

/ Using polycarbonate for a windscreen? #7  
No, filmed. I buy it in sheets with film on one side so you can handle it without unnecessary scratching.

/ Using polycarbonate for a windscreen?
Yes it's got some film on it both sides mostly but someone else's discarded free junk is definitely not perfect. I'm thinking I'll lay down old towels and or cardboard under the sheets of whatever I attempt to cut, fab, and bend it on. Curious if I should leave what's left of the protective film on when I heat and attempt to bend it though?

/ Using polycarbonate for a windscreen? #9  
I would think leaving the film/protective material on during heated may allow the adhesive to melt into the poly with unwanted results. Just my guesses though. Have not done this. Jon