Using polycarbonate for a windscreen?

/ Using polycarbonate for a windscreen? #11  
I developed a slurry macerator for a company 8 years ago. I also built the exhibition model, opened to show the inner workings, running by a small hydraulic unit inside its pedestal.

I contacted my first employer, a maker of stainless steel restaurant and canteen kitchens. I remember they could laser cut Plexiglass. I said i want it to follow the curvature of the round housing, make the side hatches transparent. They said Plexiglass will shatter when you bend it, use Polycarbonate. We can brake press it in steps for you, just the springback is enormous and it might turn pale where you bend it.

So i had them brake press a 5 degree bend between the boltholes so it wouldnt gape at the beginning and end, inserted two bolts and just pushed it over till the other two bolts took thread, then tightened it up. Worked flawless, i just had to file dress the brown cutting edges from the laser cutter to make it exhibition neat, and the white discolouration of the brake press wasnt visible because the edges covered a galvanised housing.

In other words, if your window frame has enough rigidity you can just push it into place and bolt it down.

Last edited:
   / Using polycarbonate for a windscreen? #12  
You can bend polycarbonate in a sheet metal brake, keep the protective film on.

Looks like your snowmobile windshield would be a perfect fit for the sleigh. How much to get another windshield?

1705758933718.jpeg

/ Using polycarbonate for a windscreen?
You can bend polycarbonate in a sheet metal brake, keep the protective film on.

Looks like your snowmobile windshield would be a perfect fit for the sleigh. How much to get another windshield?

View attachment 847683
Yep, have a shelf full of that series skidoo chassis parts unfortunately no spare windshields anymore (they do get pretty brittle with age and cold temps) I don't own a sheet metal brak plus I'm to cheap to buy a hundred dollar windshield for a 30+ yr old diy novelty trailer. Anyways when I get the time and it gets warmer I'll get the trailer pulled inside and mock something up with cardboard first than finalize my plan with that sheet of 1/4" thick sheet of polycarbonate I have on hand. I'm thinking it's going to be a combination of polycarbonate, and some repurposed aluminum angle and tube I have laying around. Thanks for all the input everyone 👍I'm still not completely sold on how I'm planning to mount it or cut it I guess for now Im planning to cut the sheet with a router bit and round off the edges with a router though?

Last edited:
   / Using polycarbonate for a windscreen? #14  
I have a local plastics supplier I use. I just send them a sketch with bends and dimensions and they fab up the part. I made a half windshield for my UTV that way and the cost was less than half of what a UTV windshield would cost online.

You can drill and mill the stuff easy enough but you need sharp tools. Get new bits if you want to minimize cracks.

/ Using polycarbonate for a windscreen? #15  
Have you though about using two pieces off angle iron
and using a utility knife to cut/score for the break??

willy

/ Using polycarbonate for a windscreen? #16  
We used Lexan at work for various things. One use was for forklift lids. We cut it to size and bent it with our large press brake (can do 10' pieces of 1/4" mild steel). The springback was substantial. 90° bends came back to nearly 45°. Cutting it is easy with a saw. While I haven't tried a razor knife, I'm doubtful it would work well. That's based on experience cutting Plexiglass. To cut it by scoring it you need to plow material out of the cut. One of the best tools - believe it or not - was from Kmart. It resembles this:

The tool is pulled and scrapes out a V, getting deeper on each pass. A razor knife tries to push plastic out of the way and doesn't work well.

My DIY cab had automotive safety glass except for the lower front where it had to be cut around the hood, heater lines and pedals. That ended up being Lexan after a misadventure with flexible plastic. Good material to work with. Below is a shot with the "crumbs" from cutting still stuck to it.

Attachments

• New Heater LInes.JPG
    New Heater LInes.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 37