UTV - Trying to Decide

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #211  
Most ATVS have a locked rear end - Ranchers, Foremans, both Kodiak models, TRX440, 400EX, Warriors, YZF450, Raptors, for example. The Sport SxS UTVs are almost all locked rears even with independent rear suspension. KRX’s, my Talon for example. If you want an unlocked rear look for something with “Turf” mode or a “rear locking Diff” button (example, a Mule Pro FXT)

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #212  
None the UTV's or ATV's we used for work had locked rear axles all Yamaha and BRP machines starting 20 years ago. Seems they are SRA or IRS machines out there but few in use around these parts. Solid are cheaper to buy for rough on the operator.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #213  
I honestly cant think of a Yamaha ATV that didnt lock the rear end. There maybe one back in the day but the Griz, Kodiak, Banshee, Warrior, Raptor, Big bear were all locked up. The Yamaha Rhinos (Yamahas first entry into the SxS market had a locked rear) and I know the RMax, YXZ etc. is locked. It is really a standard.

Polaris does offer a few ATV models with an unlocked rear and they call it "Tuff mode" - super nice for working on grass but it is not standard on all models.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #214  
Last edited:
   / UTV - Trying to Decide #215  
A neighbor had one, it would pull and go like a bear, in a straight line. With a load in or behind it and especially on slick surfaces it wouldn't turn worth a dang.
The old Suzuki quadrunner with the Hi, Lo, and super low would out run and out turn it every wheres.
I have found a few with Curtis cabs, great for chain saw storage and a place to wait out the rain. Also for fuel cans in back and misc chains & tools. Some even have a small cab heater.
They are super-popular in the Northeast, like up your way, but not too many down here.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #216  
Going back to the last couple years I was going to pick up a Kubota RTV 1120. Welp, the two central and northern NH Kubota dealers ghosted me. I'm like here, I want to buy X from you at your listed price. Crickets.

Brought this home today. Same dealer I bought a tractor from.

The salt spray is from riding in my trailer. Will give it a good cleaning this weekend when it's above freezing.

Already had to use 4WD and lock the rear diff when I took it for a spin on my lot.

IMG_2861.jpg

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #217