UTV - Trying to Decide

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #223  
Not for an ATV. It’s a 10k premium for a tiny dump bed? Cmon man

The hydraulic dump bed was a $1500 option for the UTV I posted above. Could have been less, but the dealer typically didn't stock them and wasn't sure if it needed hydraulic rear remotes. I doubt it does, but hey now I have rear remotes to do I don't know what with but they may come in handy. Funny is now the dealer is stalking them as they've gotten some interest lately besides me.

Either way, you're looking at aprox $20K give or take a couple for the average diesel UTV from the tractor companies. My dealer was shocked too-'we used to sell these for 15 a few years ago'

IMO ATVs, SxSs, and UTVs don't really belong in the same conversation unless it is to decide which type of vehicle a person needs. Sure, they all have some crossover on the venn diagram, but they're built for distinctly different things. I probably could have gotten by with either, but the UTV would do it better for my uses-trees, firewood, trail clearing, going places my tractor can't, general property maintenance on 39 heavily wooded acres, etc.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #224  
What does a UTV provide at that premium that an ATV does not? A roof and a small dump bed? I'm just thinking of all the things I do with my ATV and wondering how a UTV does it THAT much better

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #226  
TBH I will probably get a UTV someday when I'm older and want something a little more all weather friendly and to tour around the property. For now the ATV is better for pulling mowers due to size. It also hauls my 12' trailer around fine, because most work I do won't fit in a tiny dump box anyway. The cost is just insane. I've NEVER bought a car that cost more than $20k. Tractor was $33k... But a UTV for $25k? Lord have mercy

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #227  
What does a UTV provide at that premium that an ATV does not? A roof and a small dump bed? I'm just thinking of all the things I do with my ATV and wondering how a UTV does it THAT much better
What size UTVs are you looking at? A new Honda Pioneer 520 starts at $10K. You'll probably want some options, so it goes up from there, but still fairly reasonable.

I use it to get work done in my woods. I went with this over an ATV because I wanted the bed: I haul a couple of chainsaws, fuel & bar oil, tool belt with wedges, axe, lifting tongs, peavey, basic chainsaw tools (for sharpening and minor adjustments/repairs), helmet, basic first aid/emergency kit, food & water. I haul a trailer for firewood, if that is what I'm working on. If I want to go for easier maneuverability, the trailer stays home.

I have no need to go 65 MPH (most of the time I'm under 15 MPH). I did not want to go big: the idea was to get something that was lighter on the land and could get into tighter spots and past choke points when cleaning up storm damage. When I have bigger jobs to do, I bring the tractor & logging winch and/or a forwarding trailer or dump trailer.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #228  
What size UTVs are you looking at? A new Honda Pioneer 520 starts at $10K. You'll probably want some options, so it goes up from there, but still fairly reasonable.

I use it to get work done in my woods. I went with this over an ATV because I wanted the bed: I haul a couple of chainsaws, fuel & bar oil, tool belt with wedges, axe, lifting tongs, peavey, basic chainsaw tools (for sharpening and minor adjustments/repairs), helmet, basic first aid/emergency kit, food & water. I haul a trailer for firewood, if that is what I'm working on. If I want to go for easier maneuverability, the trailer stays home.

I have no need to go 65 MPH (most of the time I'm under 15 MPH). I did not want to go big: the idea was to get something that was lighter on the land and could get into tighter spots and past choke points when cleaning up storm damage. When I have bigger jobs to do, I bring the tractor & logging winch and/or a forwarding trailer or dump trailer.
800cc plus. Better to tow with and I can pull a decent drag harrow for the fields during planting season

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #229  
I have a low mile jeep yj built up for rock crawling. I'd be lucky if I could get $9-10k for it, and it's street legal. Every time I see the price of these side by sides, my mind is blown.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #230  
They both have their place. We have two ATVS, and two SxS's and they all have a function. The ATVS are a lot of fun to take out on a nice day and ride slow tight trails. Sometime we use them to run to neighbors and move little things around, maybe drag out a deer during hunting season.

The Kubota RTV 520 is our newest to haul stuff around the property that is a little big for the ATV, get the mail, run around the neighborhood, etc. It weighs about double the ATV so it has more traction and tows better than the ATV. Also the spray seems to fit better and with the unlocking rear end it does not tear up the yard.

We have a Honda Talon for rock climbing and the rougher technical trails where there is a chance of rolling or flopping one over. lot safer in a full cab with a cab and exo skeleton.