V blade for tractor or side by side?

/ V blade for tractor or side by side? #1  

DarkHelmet

Tractor
Mahindra 2538 HST Cab
I presently have a straight blade on my side by side and have been plowing with that for several years. Want to upgrade to a v plow because it will cut my plowing time down. We have about 1500 feet of driveway with an incline plus plowing around our barn. I've always struggled a little with traction on the side by side even with chains on the rear tires and weight in the bed and figured the tractor would have less of an issue. I have chains for my tractor too. If I get one for my tractor it would have to be a FEL mount because Mahindra doesn't make a v-plow that attaches to the snowblower mount (which I already have and use once winter gets into full swing).

I have a Mahindra 2538 HST Cab and the side by side has a cab and heat too so that's a wash.

My thoughts:
Tractor - Pros: better turning radius, more weight for better traction?, no installation required
Cons: may drive slower than the side by side, seat sucks and no suspension

Side by side - Pros: easier to dig out if it gets stuck, kids can ride with me, less hours on my tractor
Cons: traction, have to install it

Ideas and opinions are appreciated

/ V blade for tractor or side by side? #2  
I think it’s going to come down to weight- both the snow and the machine. Heavy snow = heavy machine.
In my area the side by sides kinda knock the snow down and flatten it a bit. The tractor can scrape down to the road. But in an area where they move snow with brooms I’d go for the side by side.
Bottom line- tractor will for sure do it all. Side by side might do it all......warmer and more comfortably

/ V blade for tractor or side by side? #3  
Where you have the snowblower for the tractor I would think it would be best to put the V plow on the UTV. Use the UTV for the initial work and for the detail work once the ground is frozen. You will also have it for light snow storms where using the tractor isn't justified. For the traction issue, once the blade starts filling up with snow just bump up on the winch a bit to pull weight onto the front tires without lifting the blade off the ground.

I use an ATV with a 60" straight blade and a tractor with a FEL and snowblower. The ATV is used in the fall until the ground is frozen. After that I use the tractor for all major areas and the ATV for sidewalks and such and for light snow storms.

2017-12-25 12.25.06.jpg 2017-12-25 12.30.42.jpg

/ V blade for tractor or side by side? #5  
I have a seven ft hydraulic angle blade on the front, skid steer mount, and a seven ft blower on the back. Half mile drive to the highway. wouldn't consider a side by for snow pushing, even around the yard. The 1742 Massey cab tractor has all the bases covered. As has been mentioned, weight is paramount in snow removal, tractor with hst is very precise.

/ V blade for tractor or side by side? #6  
We have a Gator (620i) with a manual angle V-plow, and an 8 ft v-plow for the Kubota. Even with the manual angle, the Gator is fast for plowing light snows, and early in the season it does not tear up driveways when they are still unfrozen. BUT, when the snow gets deep or heavy, it doesn't have near enough weight to handle it even with 500 lbs extra weight in the bed. Also we have a lot of rock, and the light UTV blades get bent and banged up pretty easily. Try buying replacement parts from John Deere to rebuild your blade assembly -- it will bust your budget in a hurry. So we like the Gator, but if we had to give up one tool for snow plowing we'd definitely give up the UTV and stick with the tractor. 20160416_145209.jpg20150305_145317.jpg

/ V blade for tractor or side by side? #7  
Let me know about those photos. The kubota photo thumbnail appears upside-down to me, but the photo opens OK on my computer.

/ V blade for tractor or side by side? #8  
Hello fattire,

The photo images are fine so no worries there. Has the smoke subsided in your part of gods country?

Is that a JD hydraulic power pack I see sticking out of the 2017-18 Colorado snow?

Leon

/ V blade for tractor or side by side? #9  
Hello fattire,

The photo images are fine so no worries there. Has the smoke subsided in your part of gods country?

Is that a JD hydraulic power pack I see sticking out of the 2017-18 Colorado snow?

Leon

Hi Leon- We're good here now, no smoke and wet enough so that we can have campfires. That JD box is a weight box, but I wish it were a power pack. I bought a wood chipper from a guy and saw that sitting in his shop, unused, nothing in it. He said it was too small for his tractor and he'd sell it to me for $200 so I took it. Filled with concrete is still a bit too light for the L5740 but I can put the backhoe on if I need more ballast. (My rear tires are loaded.)

How about you, are gettting ready for winter?

/ V blade for tractor or side by side? #10