V blade for tractor or side by side?

/ V blade for tractor or side by side? #11  
   / V blade for tractor or side by side?
We have a Gator (620i) with a manual angle V-plow, and an 8 ft v-plow for the Kubota. Even with the manual angle, the Gator is fast for plowing light snows, and early in the season it does not tear up driveways when they are still unfrozen. BUT, when the snow gets deep or heavy, it doesn't have near enough weight to handle it even with 500 lbs extra weight in the bed. Also we have a lot of rock, and the light UTV blades get bent and banged up pretty easily. Try buying replacement parts from John Deere to rebuild your blade assembly -- it will bust your budget in a hurry. So we like the Gator, but if we had to give up one tool for snow plowing we'd definitely give up the UTV and stick with the tractor. View attachment 572155View attachment 572156

Do you feel like the v-plow for the FEL is too much for the tractor? Do you have to run some sort of counter weight?

/ V blade for tractor or side by side? #13  
A counter weight or ballast box will make a huge difference with rear traction and loader work.
I made a simple box filled it with concrete with a 3 point draw bar and a top link embedded inside the concrete.
I made it the weight of just below what the 3 point tractor hitch of the tractor will lift.

/ V blade for tractor or side by side? #14  
Just my guess. Unless you have a Hydraulic Powered UTV, using one to push snow, might turn out to be the most expensive way possible. But you will only realize that later, when things quit working and she goes into the dealer.

/ V blade for tractor or side by side? #15  
Do you feel like the v-plow for the FEL is too much for the tractor? Do you have to run some sort of counter weight?

That V-plow is heavy, close to 1100 lbs. Its ok but close to being too heavy for me. The bigger issue is learning to use an FEL mounted plow on dirt or gravel, it took me half a season to get good with it. I always have something on the back when the plow is on, either a ballast box, backhoe, or 3 pt. snow blower. The ballast box is the same weight of the blower at around 750 lbs, but the blower weight is quite a bit further back and it feels better with the blower back there. The thing about V-plows is that they are so versatile. I use scoop mode way more than I expected to when I purchased the plow.

/ V blade for tractor or side by side? #16  
I bought one for my Steiner. Paid too much for it at a municipal auction because it happened to have a tractor attached to it!

Not sure that having the scoop capability makes much difference on such a small blade.

/ V blade for tractor or side by side? #17  
That V-plow is heavy, close to 1100 lbs. Its ok but close to being too heavy for me. The bigger issue is learning to use an FEL mounted plow on dirt or gravel, it took me half a season to get good with it. The thing about V-plows is that they are so versatile. I use scoop mode way more than I expected to when I purchased the plow.

If you ever were to put it on a frame mounting (tractor chassis) you'd wonder what took you so long.:thumbsup: I agree on the V plow. I never imagined how much it would out perform a straight blade before I got one. I had a similar surprise the first time I used a "pusher box", would have never believed how much snow they will carry.

/ V blade for tractor or side by side?
Just my guess. Unless you have a Hydraulic Powered UTV, using one to push snow, might turn out to be the most expensive way possible. But you will only realize that later, when things quit working and she goes into the dealer.

Been plowing with my Polaris Ranger for 5 years already without too many issues other than traction. Just want to upgrade to a V-plow and not sure which machine to put it on.

/ V blade for tractor or side by side? #19  
Mostly, those tiny drivelines are not meant for such hard work, plus the snowmobile clutches.

Even plowing with a p/u will cost you.

/ V blade for tractor or side by side? #20  
One of the main things with a belt drive machine is to have the clutch checked every couple years. The constant forward and reverse will wear them faster due to making a full cycle every few minutes. I ran one too long, ended up having to buy a new one due to it not being rebuildable.