Vacume and diesel engines

/ Vacume and diesel engines #62  
Redneck in training; you can stuff more air (oxygen molecules) in the combustion chamber said:
I used to work in a shop with a wise old & well respected diesel mechanic that was fond of saying "a diesel engine's life is rated in gallons - you can put in a lot more fuel but not for very long.' This was his disclaimer to truckers/operators that wanted the power turned up. MikeD74T

/ Vacume and diesel engines #63  
In the army used to repair S/B Gen. Had one return with faulty gen and removed to repair.
The engine was in frame and govenor control rod removed air cleaner off and engine was started to check operation. no load on flywheel and govenor set for full rpm increase immediate to over speed. a boot was set on air intake to stall engine and sucked into the manifold. which had to be removed to clean out. Understand diesel has no vacuum but the
AP in this case was very impressive.
Don't place hand over intake to test.
ken

/ Vacume and diesel engines #64  
In the army used to repair S/B Gen. Had one return with faulty gen and removed to repair.
The engine was in frame and govenor control rod removed air cleaner off and engine was started to check operation. no load on flywheel and govenor set for full rpm increase immediate to over speed. a boot was set on air intake to stall engine and sucked into the manifold. which had to be removed to clean out. Understand diesel has no vacuum but the
ken

Same thing with a lot of stationary diesels. Overspeed trips a S/D device on the intake. If there are any flexible boots in the intake piping between the shutdown valve and the manifold, the "less than atmospheric" condition will suck them in tight.

/ Vacume and diesel engines #65  
ken

Remember.. you changed the rules with the choke plate. No longer is it at AP in the manifold as you now have a restriction, and changing volume ( cyl on 'suck' stroke )... same amount of air, plus the changing volume, plus constant AP on the other sid eof the soft boot, and it's obvious what that happened.

soundguy

/ Vacume and diesel engines
When I started this post I thought I was asking a fairly simple question expecting a fairly simple answer. Boy was I wrong. As far as I am concerned a diesel does produce vacuum but does not store it.
Bill

/ Vacume and diesel engines #67  
I think the key is 'nominal manifold vacume' is ideally non existant on a NA diesel. Otherwise it entails filter or other airflow restriction.

soundguy

/ Vacume and diesel engines #68  
"Drastic differences" aside, there's a knob called 'mixture' next to the throttle. Drastic is covered in 'Emergency Procedures'. Get a grip, ...how's it go? ...aviate,navigate,...something else...

and communicate.

/ Vacume and diesel engines #69  
Maybe its all about fluid flow and differential pressures!:D

/ Vacume and diesel engines #70  
When I started this post I thought I was asking a fairly simple question expecting a fairly simple answer. Boy was I wrong. As far as I am concerned a diesel does produce vacuum but does not store it.
Bill

A better question for us nerdy tractor types that get all bound up in the details might have been "How much vacuum does a non-turbo diesel produce in the intake manifold compared to a gasoline engine?"

Gasoline engine at idle is 18-22" hg
Diesel engine at idle is much less than 1" hg

Gasoline engine working hard is 5-9" hg (3/4 throttle lets say going up a big hill pulling a trailer etc)
Diesel engine working hard is still under 1" hg (hopefully much less as it's a sign of a clogged air filter.)

Gasoline engine at wide open throttle full load is 1" hg
Diesel engine at full load is also about 1" hg.

jb