Valby chipper

/ Valby chipper #11  
Glenn,
Thanks for the posts, lots of good info, however I do have one question for you. Since your unit does not throw the chips any great distance, is there any place on the chipper to attach a drawbar or towing hitch which could be used to pull a wagon......like a baler w/kicker followed by a hay wagon??

Russ

/ Valby chipper
Russ-Yes, it wouldn't be difficult to bolt a crosspiece between my Valby's feet with a 1 7/8" ball in the center. You'd have to bolt a crosspiece of comparable thickness at the front so that the chipper would sit level when in use. The trailer tongue would have to be fairly long--4 or 5 feet or so--to put the trailer box behind the feed chute. Also, tongue weight could be a problem. My chipper hangs back of my quick hitch and the combination of weight (585 pounds) and leverage is such that the front end of the tractor is VERY light even though I have 200 pounds of suitcase weights on the front. I've been considering rigging up one or two large swivel casters (with 12 inch pneumatic tires) on the back of the chipper to carry some of the weight. I would not be able to hook a trailer on the back of my chipper without the tractor looking like I was headed into orbit. However, what about a small four-wheel wagon like those advertised by Northern Tools? The tongue wouldn't add weight to the chipper and the box would be level when you were filling it. Your idea is a good one.