Values for old tractors

/ Values for old tractors #11  
Hello,
My brother recently passed away and left me with 9 old tractors to deal with. I'm trying to sell them, but I'm not sure what a fair value is.
I'm not an old tractor person, so I'm completely clueless here.

They are currently not running, have been sitting for years, but they all arrived in their current location under their own power.

And yes, I'm appalled that he purchased this great collection of old collectible tractors then just let them rot away in the field...This is probably about a third of his collection...

Tractors:
Farmall 560 diesel wide front:
Framall 560 diesel narrow front:
IH McCormick W-6:
International with loader:
Farmall Super A:
Farmall Super A:
Farmall 606:
International 240:
Farmall H:
They are worth a lot

/ Values for old tractors #12  
Hello,
My brother recently passed away and left me with 9 old tractors to deal with. I'm trying to sell them, but I'm not sure what a fair value is.
I'm not an old tractor person, so I'm completely clueless here.

They are currently not running, have been sitting for years, but they all arrived in their current location under their own power.

And yes, I'm appalled that he purchased this great collection of old collectible tractors then just let them rot away in the field...This is probably about a third of his collection...

Tractors:
Farmall 560 diesel wide front:
Framall 560 diesel narrow front:
IH McCormick W-6:
International with loader:
Farmall Super A:
Farmall Super A:
Farmall 606:
International 240:
Farmall H:
Them old tractors still bring good money especially if you wait until spring. Be cheap fall and winter. These kids buy them to fix food plots to hunt on. Lots of uses for them.

/ Values for old tractors #13  
Brother have any mechanically inclined friends who can check to see what is there? One main thing that always comes to mind is "will the motor turn over or is locked up from sitting"? Pull them out of the weeds for better pictures, try to get a better idea of their mechanical condition and consider Craigslist and Marketplace to see if they draw any interest.
Good luck with them,
David from jax

/ Values for old tractors #14  
Yep. Pull them out to a nice area, power wash, and see if they run. As they are, they are worth very little.
Running is what makes them saleable.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Values for old tractors #15  
If they have sat outside for more than 20 years, then the tires, belts, hoses, and rubber hydraulic lines are all shot. If they are not running, then they are worth, on average, around $ 500 ea.

Definitely some good projects there for enthusiasts though. Cleaning them up, getting them running, and putting new tires on them would bump up their value considerably, but likely not turn much profit.

/ Values for old tractors #16  
If they have sat outside for more than 20 years, then the tires, belts, hoses, and rubber hydraulic lines are all shot. If they are not running, then they are worth, on average, around $ 500 ea.

Definitely some good projects there for enthusiasts though. Cleaning them up, getting them running, and putting new tires on them would bump up their value considerably, but likely not turn much profit.
List them in Canada. Even complete junk I see for sale......nothing is under a thousand up here.
And if it has a rattle can paint job, then they want 8 to 10 thousand.

Meanwhile you see same model tractors fully restored at Mecum for $1500 USD.

/ Values for old tractors #17  
The IH industrial with the loader, if you get it running, could be $3500-7000; depending on configuration. Others, maybe $1500 running. Non-running, maybe $750. Depending on your ability, I would maybe look at selling some of the worse ones for near scrap value, say $500 each, and use that money to repair the IH industrial, either to keep/use or sell. I dont really see it being money ahead to fix any that tires don't hold air. Battery's alone will each up most of the difference between non-running value vs running value.

Edit: the IH 606 might be worth more like $3500-4000 running (maybe $1500 as it sits); and that Farmall A looks in pretty good shape, if running, might be $2500 (maybe $1500 as it sits).

/ Values for old tractors #18  

Sadly they can be hard to give away today. I have spent $12K on fixing up a working 1976 265 Massey Ferguson. It only has about 1500 hours on it and the engine and transmission did not need any attention.

Using Old Iron is physically dangerous to operate by today's standards.

/ Values for old tractors #19  
Sorry for your loss. Unless you have to, I probably wouldn’t get rid of any of his stuff until you know you and family are for sure, not interested in any of it.

I’d probably see if any of his friends would be interested in one just to bring up memory’s of him from time to time. That would be a better goal than scrap metal prices to me.

Last edited:
   / Values for old tractors #20  
Sadly they can be hard to give away today. I have spent $12K on fixing up a working 1976 265 Massey Ferguson. It only has about 1500 hours on it and the engine and transmission did not need any attention.

Using Old Iron is physically dangerous to operate by today's standards.
Yes, antique tractors are still more of a buyers market. You can go to auctions and buy them fully restored cheaper than you can ever have one restored for. Only problem there, is you are not always guaranteed to win the bid on a tractor you want.

Just like my 55 Allis. I want to have it painted to show quality, but it would cost me more to paint then if I just go buy one already restored.

But the other side of the story is you look at what restored tractors are selling for at auction, then look at listings in marketplace and the like that are junk, and their asking prices are 3 times what the auction selling prices are.