Values for old tractors

/ Values for old tractors #21  
How about pulling them all out of the weeds. Put new batteries in all of them, pay a mechanic to come out and get them all running, then put them up for sale. Big difference in price running vs non-running.

/ Values for old tractors #22  
Brother have any mechanically inclined friends who can check to see what is there? One main thing that always comes to mind is "will the motor turn over or is locked up from sitting"? Pull them out of the weeds for better pictures, try to get a better idea of their mechanical condition and consider Craigslist and Marketplace to see if they draw any interest.
Good luck with them,
David from jax
Well they do have to run or they are parts at best. Scrap maybe cuz they are so old. But I bet they do run.
Yep. Pull them out to a nice area, power wash, and see if they run. As they are, they are worth very little.
Running is what makes them saleable.
I wish
Yes, antique tractors are still more of a buyers market. You can go to auctions and buy them fully restored cheaper than you can ever have one restored for. Only problem there, is you are not always guaranteed to win the bid on a tractor you want.

Just like my 55 Allis. I want to have it painted to show quality, but it would cost me more to paint then if I just go buy one already restored.

But the other side of the story is you look at what restored tractors are selling for at auction, then look at listings in marketplace and the like that are junk, and their asking prices are 3 times what the auction selling prices are.
yea well I don’t look at them as antique. They are row crop equipment. Try that with a bota. The only thing these newer ones pull is a brush Cutrer of some sort or a tiller or disc. Can’t make a row and can’t plow a row. The old stuff was built for it. Them A far malls are offset. To look at your cultivators. For corn peas soy beans
How about pulling them all out of the weeds. Put new batteries in all of them, pay a mechanic to come out and get them all running, then put them up for sale. Big difference in price running vs non-running.
ok.

/ Values for old tractors #23  
I'm assuming some of them are still 6 V or dual 6 V for 12 V system; your probably looking at $250 in batteries on something that almost for sure needs more then a battery, for an increase in sale price of max $750 for some of that stuff? Wouldnt bother. The way I see it, there are potentially 3 tractors in the pile that would possibly be worth over $2500, As Runners (the IH-606, Farmall-A, and the IH industrial). The others wouldn't sell much above $1500, in good working order.

That's not to say, checking oil, trying to jump any 12v machines out there, and maybe they are better then they look is a bad idea, but I would certainly do that before investing in batteries, fluid changes, ect, but thats assuming it's not something you have to get moved in a limited time period.

Don't spend anything on any of them till you're sure the engine is free, they still have mostly oil in the oil pan, and the starter is intact, and clutch free. After that, you can start making an informed decision. Also, check coolant, and if dry, dump some water in to make sure the radiator or block or freeze plugs aren't dumping water. Just don't forget to add some antifreeze to anything that holds water, if they are still yours come freezing time (if it freezes more then 4 hours or so in your area).

/ Values for old tractors #24  
Yes, antique tractors are still more of a buyers market. You can go to auctions and buy them fully restored cheaper than you can ever have one restored for. Only problem there, is you are not always guaranteed to win the bid on a tractor you want.

Just like my 55 Allis. I want to have it painted to show quality, but it would cost me more to paint then if I just go buy one already restored.

But the other side of the story is you look at what restored tractors are selling for at auction, then look at listings in marketplace and the like that are junk, and their asking prices are 3 times what the auction selling prices are.
Yes, that is the sad fact. One reason I spent a lot on the 265 Massey Ferguson is my father-in-law bought it new and if I get where I don't need it or don't want it or dead pass it back to my wife's brother who is much younger. The big major issue in my mind with old tractors is finding people that actually had shop training on those. Most of them have passed on.

/ Values for old tractors #25  
If you have to pay for work it's often a loosing proposition.

Presentation helps and clearing the cobwebs too.

A simple pull to a clear area or mow around each and hose or cheap pressure wash...

I'd tires hold air it's a plus... if it will roll smoother plus... engine turns even better.

I've seen some in the elements with freeze damage or gearbox filled with water.

For talented guys with time it's often a hobby...

I bought my Jubilee because it was so well done... not even looking as I was with s friend looking at something else.

Added up the new clutch, tires, gauges, first class paint, decals and excellent running condition with motor torn down and a folder if receipts and it was like paying for the parts with labor thrown in...

Some guys do well parting out as the whole is less than the components.