Van VS Pickup for towing?

/ Van VS Pickup for towing? #31  
Surge brakes may be restricted to certain trailer weights in some areas.

Egon

/ Van VS Pickup for towing? #32  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Surge brakes may be restricted to certain trailer weights in some areas )</font>

Yep, Egon, I forgot about that. I don't know what the law is in other states or countries, but in Texas:

1. No brakes required if the trailer weighs 4,500 pounds or less,
2. No brakes required if the trailer weighs 15,000 pounds or less if it's towed at a speed not to exceed 30 mph,
3. Surge (or inertia) brakes may be used if the trailer weighs 15,000 pounds or less.

/ Van VS Pickup for towing? #33  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( No brakes required if the trailer weighs 4,500 pounds or less, )</font>
Bird, is that the trailer weight, or the loaded trailer weight? A trailer that weighs 2000# could easily exceed the 4500 pounds when loaded and need brakes, right?
John

/ Van VS Pickup for towing? #34  
You're right, John, specifically
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( § 547.401. BRAKES[0] REQUIRED. (a) Except as provided by
Subsection (b), a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole
trailer, or combination of those vehicles shall be equipped with
brakes[0] that comply with this chapter.
(b) A trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer is not required
to have brakes[0] if:
(1) its gross weight is 4,500 pounds or less; or
(2) its gross weight is heavier than 4,500 pounds but
not heavier than 15,000 pounds, and it is drawn at a speed of not
more than 30 miles per hour. )</font>

and

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( (c) A trailer or semitrailer that has a gross weight of
15,000 pounds or less may use surge[0] or inertia brake systems to
satisfy the requirements of Subsection (a). )</font>

/ Van VS Pickup for towing? #35  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You're right, John, specifically )</font>
There is a lot that's confusing about trailers and weights. Gross weight meaning trailer weight and cargo vs. simple trailer weight. One really has to stay right on top of all of it to remember all the special little terms they use!
Thanks Bird.
John

/ Van VS Pickup for towing? #36  
I also have an E350 van, with the 7.3 Powerstroke engine. This configuration is very hard to find, but man, the power to pull anything you want! It works extreemly well to pull a heavy trailer, and I think it is much better then a pickup because there is naturally more weight in the rear.

I pull a 12,000 GWVR trailer with a Kubota L4150 with an L4540 backhoe, and while this is a good load, I have never had any handling or other problems. It pulls it very easily, and will even go into overdrive and stay there without hunting. With the 7.3 and a 3.55 differential, 55 mph only turns the engine at 1500 rpm, and I still have good power.

/ Van VS Pickup for towing? #37  
Just had to add a picture to this thread…

A neighbor needed to unload some equipment off a truck so I offered to fetch this from the rental yard for him.

Nice unit – I really liked the sound of that 46HP Kubota engine /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 651037-DCP_1255(50).JPG
    651037-DCP_1255(50).JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 164