Vented propane heating stove

/ Vented propane heating stove #1  

RichZ

Veteran Member
White Creek, New York, Washington County, on the V
Tractor
Kubota 4630 with cab and loader
I'd like to replace a vented propane heating stove that I have in my sun room. The room is not heated and is approximately 10 feet by 25 feet. When I bought the house it had a vented propane heating stove, and we've never had one before. Previously we had wood stoves, but this stove is cleaner and easier to use, and we really like it, but it's at least 30 years old and although it works, it could stand replacing. I can't find any reviews on-line about these stoves, so I was wondering if anyone has bought one recently and have any suggestions as to manufacturers , models and any other info. I'd like it to have an electric start with a battery back up.

Thanks!!!!

/ Vented propane heating stove #2  
direct vent propane stoves are very popular these days with the off grid craze going on now. So many versions out there.

Get a good one though, one where you can get replacement parts. It seems they're are a lot of cheap ones that when they break, it's hard to source parts. The good ones, however don't seem to fail very often.

/ Vented propane heating stove #4  
We've got three vented (to indoors for 100% heat) propane fire places. Only use one of them. Love it.

/ Vented propane heating stove #5  
Do you want to replace the stove strictly because of age, that it may be unsafe or worn out? If so maybe you can get it checked out by your propane supplier. I think my supplier will check out a heater or other gas appliance for 60 bucks.
Eric

/ Vented propane heating stove #6  
I'd like to replace a vented propane heating stove that I have in my sun room. The room is not heated and is approximately 10 feet by 25 feet. When I bought the house it had a vented propane heating stove, and we've never had one before. Previously we had wood stoves, but this stove is cleaner and easier to use, and we really like it, but it's at least 30 years old and although it works, it could stand replacing. I can't find any reviews on-line about these stoves, so I was wondering if anyone has bought one recently and have any suggestions as to manufacturers , models and any other info. I'd like it to have an electric start with a battery back up.

Thanks!!!!

Look again. There's quite a bit of info online and you can get units that look like fireplaces, stoves, inserts, etc.

Don't need "battery backup". It will still operate in case of power failure, except for the circulating fan if you go with that option.

You might want to get a model that has a thermostat. That's one feature that's pretty convenient, especially in a room like you describe. Just set it and forget it.

If you're going for some of these optional features or just a fresh look, there's plenty to choose from. However, you can probably clean yours up and continue to use it too.
Some manufacturers that you might look at to get ideas are Heatilator, DESA, etc.

How yours is vented will likely determine what you replace it with. Since it IS vented, I'd replace it with another vented unit unless there's some problem with the current venting application.

Options are naturally vented vertically through the roof, Direct Vent, Power Vented, Unvented, and installed in an operating fireplace. Can be free standing, wall mounted, framed into a box or set into a masonry surround. Features include things like remote control, wall switch, thermostats, circulating fans, and lots of different surrounds and trim. There's LOTS of pics and info online.

Last edited:
   / Vented propane heating stove #7  
We've got three vented (to indoors for 100% heat) propane fire places. Only use one of them. Love it.
What manufacturer and model?
how does it vent directly indoors without all the moisture?

/ Vented propane heating stove #8  
I don't know the brand....been maybe 10 years ago. Don't have much of a moisture issue in the winter time.... winter is a lot dryer than warmer months. Aside from that, if we DID have an issue, we've got a dehumidifier (don't need/use it)

Maybe part of our (non) issue is it's not a huge item. Of the three, the 'big' fire place is on the first floor (first floor is finished, bedrooms upstairs are finished and the walk-out basement....is finished)

The big fireplace, which hasn't been used hardly at all (we're talking 1-4 times PER year in winter) is on the main floor. Have the smallest unit we could find in the master bedroom and that room is maybe 400 sq/ft. with 12' ceilings, french doors to outer space (which are always open) THIS fireplace has probably been used ONCE in five years.

What I do is turn the basement on and regulate the temperature of the room via the french doors that go to the stairwell.....heat goes up to main floor..... more stairs to upstairs so the heat kind of gets re-used as it rises.

Last year, I went through 2 1/2 100 pound propane tanks.

I have no idea if that is a lot or just idle speed for others. It's a log house so it's pretty well insulated.

Wife didn't want a wood-burner like I did....."too smelly & messy"
Too bad too, as we have a lot of falling wood that could be used much cheaper than the propane.

/ Vented propane heating stove #9  
I've seen a few that look like this:

iu

012685700205.jpg

Either Ashley Hearth or Rinnai. Pricing is $700 and up for the most part. Don't know anything about them, but it looks like they need a 4 or 5" pipe though the wall. I only have one wall that would be suitable and it has vinyl siding outside, so I'm not sure how that would work.

/ Vented propane heating stove #10  
We bought a Heat n Glow propane stove about 18 months ago. It has a battery backup, and is operated with a remote control.
It replaced a wood stove, which my wife constantly complained about also.

I like it quite a bit, it’s quiet, and clean, but It doesn’t put out near the heat that the wood stove did. That’s actually ok, as we used to have to open windows to lower the room temperature now and then when the wood stove put out too much heat.