Ventrac Assembly Videos

/ Ventrac Assembly Videos #31  
I wish this post existed a couple of weeks ago. I was looking for for a smaller 4x4 tractor that would mow well (commercial quality) and plow large snowfalls. My research led me to conclude that the four wheel drive articulated tractors are virtually unstopable. My research led me to the Steine, Ventrac and PT. I've read virtually every internet post (user and professional reviews and youtube reviews) on the Ventrac, PT and Steiner tractors.
I ruled out the Pt because everything I read indicated that the quality of cut was substandard and the adjustment of the plow blade when angled was a PITA to get a clean scrape. Was I wrong to conclude this?
FYI I went with a used Steiner not only for reviewed quality of cut and plow ability, but also because of the smaller size of the older machine.

/ Ventrac Assembly Videos #32  
I wish this post existed a couple of weeks ago. I was looking for for a smaller 4x4 tractor that would mow well (commercial quality) and plow large snowfalls. My research led me to conclude that the four wheel drive articulated tractors are virtually unstopable. My research led me to the Steine, Ventrac and PT. I've read virtually every internet post (user and professional reviews and youtube reviews) on the Ventrac, PT and Steiner tractors.
I ruled out the Pt because everything I read indicated that the quality of cut was substandard and the adjustment of the plow blade when angled was a PITA to get a clean scrape. Was I wrong to conclude this?
FYI I went with a used Steiner not only for reviewed quality of cut and plow ability, but also because of the smaller size of the older machine.

The PT425 quality of cut is fine for most home lawns. It is not fine for a show lawn. There are several reasons why. It is rear discharge with no bagger option. It is not a mulcher, either. So that means a windrow on the right rear edge of the deck. Also, the 60" deck has no baffles underneath and does not provide lots of lift for the grass. If you keep the blades sharp, it will do a good job on most lawns but you have to move slower.

Before.
5388d1021083318-pt425-lawn-job-pics-19-146943-before.jpg

After.
5389d1021083728-pt425-lawn-job-pics-19-146946-after.jpg

Here's a video of my PT425 on my front yard. It isn't a show lawn at all. Just thick green grass. I find the quality of cut perfectly acceptable for our neighborhood, but it would not be acceptable for an upper end subdivision.
http://mossroad.com/PT425Videos/PT4255ftMower01.WMV

As for the snow plow... I have had mine for 10 years and scrape my asphalt drive down to the surface in one pass. I have no idea why folks complain about adjusting the blade. I have no problems at all, ever. :confused:

You can also click on my little animated tractor icon below and that will take you to my website. Click on the video link and there are a bunch of videos of my PT425 in action. There are more mower videos at the bottom of the video page.

/ Ventrac Assembly Videos #33  
Thanks Moss,
I've viewed your videos before during my research. It may be my video driver, but once the PT gets close to the camera the videos get very pixled and I was not able to get a good view of what the finished cut looked like. I was disapointed as your posts were one of the few videos of the PT cutting grass and I was hoping it would help me make a decision.

It's unfortunate that PT hasn't added a baffled mulching deck, as I imagine it might entice people like me to purchase a PT as it would still have been a true contender with me.

/ Ventrac Assembly Videos
Thanks Moss,
I've viewed your videos before during my research. It may be my video driver, but once the PT gets close to the camera the videos get very pixled and I was not able to get a good view of what the finished cut looked like. I was disapointed as your posts were one of the few videos of the PT cutting grass and I was hoping it would help me make a decision.

It's unfortunate that PT hasn't added a baffled mulching deck, as I imagine it might entice people like me to purchase a PT as it would still have been a true contender with me.

I think that we are beginning to understand that there is not one tractor or device that will satisfy all needs. I personally concluded that my ideal situation was to have a Ventrac for mowing and snow removal and a PT-425 for everything else on my project list. I have to pickup grass clippings when I mow otherwise my white show dogs will turn green (they also like to eat fresh grass clippings which they throw-up once back inside...)

To be brief, I decided to keep my 2 year old Sears Garden Tractor with its bagger attachment ($2300) that does a neat and fine cut. It is a newer model with the very short turning radius that rivals a zero-turn. For brush cutting, etc I bought a PT-425 plus attachments. The Ventrac starts about $14,000 with finish mowing deck ($3000+) and grass catcher ($7000+) was just too much to swallow. Also, a zero turn mower may be a better and cheaper alternative to trying to make a utility tractor into a finish mower.

/ Ventrac Assembly Videos #35  
As Tommy Smothers would say " Please always remember and never forget", the Power-Trac is a tractor, not a lawn mower. A finish mower deck is one of fifty attachments you can stick to it. Almost any tractor under 100hp has the ability to attach a mower deck somewhere ( front, middle or rear) to it,but you probably won't mow your lawn with it unless your lawn is big and kind of rough. I have a lawn mowing business and I would not dream of mowing a customer's lawn with my PT. I bought the PT to replace the cut and to do tractor work, and it does it very well.

/ Ventrac Assembly Videos #36  
You know a lot of guys on a lot of different brand forums here on TBN over the years have already concluded that for the price of a finish mower attachment for any brand of tractor, you can pick up a small riding mower, ZTR, etc... and it will cut the lawn in front of your house as good or better for less money. However, I do not want to maintain yet another engine and the ease of the Power Trac quick attach system makes me look forward to changing implements, rather than finding reasons not to change implements like many folks with 3PT hitches tend to do. I know that each and every one of you PT owners that also has experience with a 3pt hitch gets just a tiny tiny bit of satisfaction each and every time you flip that knee lever and back away from an attachment. :laughing:

/ Ventrac Assembly Videos #37  
You know a lot of guys on a lot of different brand forums here on TBN over the years have already concluded that for the price of a finish mower attachment for any brand of tractor, you can pick up a small riding mower, ZTR, etc... and it will cut the lawn in front of your house as good or better for less money. However, I do not want to maintain yet another engine and the ease of the Power Trac quick attach system makes me look forward to changing implements, rather than finding reasons not to change implements like many folks with 3PT hitches tend to do. I know that each and every one of you PT owners that also has experience with a 3pt hitch gets just a tiny tiny bit of satisfaction each and every time you flip that knee lever and back away from an attachment. :laughing:

The only issue where you need a articulated tractor is if you are mowing slopes. I would not recommend ANY ZTR or RWD rider if you have slopes over 20 degrees, especially if they are long slopes. These products simply are not as safe. I can only speak for the PT1460, but it is not worth the money for mowing. This topic has been heavily discussed here, but PT's are the best loaders money can buy without a doubt, but not the best mowers.

Ventracs are rated for 30 degree slopes (when used with dual tires), and they can handle 30 degrees easily. My PT1460 is rated for 30 degrees as well with singles, but it really can't handle that kind of slope very well. At 25 degrees it rips up the grass when ascending, even when the grass is dry. If I could put duals on the 1460, it would go anywhere as well.

There is more to the Ventrac 84" contour mower than just making a pretty looking lawn. It mows very fast, and because the deck flexes, it doesn't scalp uneven surfaces. There are spots on my property that no other mower can cut right, but the contour mower handles it. The flip up to service feature on this mower is really nice as well.

/ Ventrac Assembly Videos #38  

I said that I did not think much of the PT1460 as a mower, but as a snow plow it was really good. I got the plow with the rubber blade attached, and it did an awesome job. Because it is attached to the loader arms, you can do things with it that no other snowplow can do, like push back high piles. Only bad thing is that the diesel motors do not come with cold starting ability, so you need to add glow plugs in order to start them.

002.jpg

001.jpg

Last edited:
   / Ventrac Assembly Videos #39  
d because the deck flexes, it doesn't scalp uneven surfaces. There are spots on my property that no other mower can cut right, but the contour mower handles it. The flip up to service feature on this mower is really nice as well.

A few years back someone with a Power Trac had a flexible finish mower from some other brand adapted to the PT.

Anyone remember who or does someone here still own that? :confused:

/ Ventrac Assembly Videos #40  
A few years back someone with a Power Trac had a flexible finish mower from some other brand adapted to the PT.

Anyone remember who or does someone here still own that? :confused:

It is a 72" Lastec articulated mower and I have it.