Ventrac Assembly Videos

/ Ventrac Assembly Videos #41  
I figured I would add another point to this thread. I got my VT out for the first time today, to do a little cutting, and make sure that all is in order. While driving along I was thinking about this thread.

One thing I noticed is that the price on my VT 4231, 31 HP, dual wheels, was around 19K. The PT425 does not have a dual wheel option. Also, the motors are in a completely different league. The BS Vanguard 31HP motor on the VT is very expensive. The motor is the #1 difference in the price of the two machines. I think it is overkill, but it is the only gas high HP option for that machine.

Here is what a discount replacement would cost:

Brand New Engines | Briggs & Stratton 3/LC 23.5 HP Vanguard Gasoline Power Unit #825366

Here is a listing for a 25HP Robin: (No muffler but otherwise similarly equipped)

Robin Subaru EH722-DS 25 HP

The difference is roughly $3000. If VT would use less expensive motors, their prices would be more competitive.

The 4231 is somewhere between a PT425 and a PT1845, and it is kind of priced that way.

/ Ventrac Assembly Videos #42  
It is a 72" Lastec articulated mower and I have it.

Ha! Thanks for the reminder. How's it working out? My 60" flat deck is O.K. for most humps and dips as long as you attack them up or down. If I go across a hump, I scalp it and if I go across a dip, the grass stays long in the low spots.

In particular, our yard is pretty flat up to the street. Then there is a slight slope down about a foot, followed by a rise of a few inches back to the shoulder of the road. If I hit it perpendicular, it is fine. If I hit it parallel, I leave it long in the dip and scalp the entire width of the yard along the street.

I don't think my PT425 would have enough power to turn a 72" deck. the 60" is pushing the limits with the 25HP Kohler.

/ Ventrac Assembly Videos #43  
Maybe we should stop beating this dead horse. Even though they kind of look the same and cover some overlapping tasks, Ventracs and PTs are designed for different basic purposes and aimed at different markets. They both fulfill their design objectives pretty well and satisfy their niche market. This is getting to be like comparing electric guitars with pianos.

/ Ventrac Assembly Videos #44  
Maybe we should stop beating this dead horse. Even though they kind of look the same and cover some overlapping tasks, Ventracs and PTs are designed for different basic purposes and aimed at different markets. They both fulfill their design objectives pretty well and satisfy their niche market. This is getting to be like comparing electric guitars with pianos.

Amen brother, but what else should we beat?

/ Ventrac Assembly Videos #47  
Ha! Thanks for the reminder. How's it working out?

As originally modified by the PT folks it had some problems. Also, when I got it the blades were set up incorrectly. After two significant mods and installing the blades correctly I have been quite satisfied. The articulated 72" Lastec deck handles rough ground much better than the PT 72" deck without scalping. It is also a much better built unit--higher quality fittings, bearings and floatation as well as a sturdier deck with better baffling.

/ Ventrac Assembly Videos #48  
We could always beat on the wimpy little PT-180. The good folks at PT once told me a backhoe could never be adapted to... or work on a 180. I love it when someone tells me it won't work or can't be done !!! :licking:

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 267
   / Ventrac Assembly Videos #49  
We could always beat on the wimpy little PT-180. The good folks at PT once told me a backhoe could never be adapted to... or work on a 180. I love it when someone tells me it won't work or can't be done !!! :licking:

Beechwood,

Thanks for reminding me about that. I kinda remember it. Could you post a link?

/ Ventrac Assembly Videos #50  
How about the lowly three point hitch? It needs another beating!!! :cool2:
smiley_hijack.gif
:laughing: :)

Speaking of 3pt Hitch I was talking to my uncle the other day and he said something about putting a 3pt Hitch and and 540rpm PTO on the back of a Power Trac. Could something like that be done? (factory) The only problem I could see is the engine and all the other stuff being in the way. But I think it is a good idea. Even though the PT is already versatile, why not make it even more versatile? Holder and Trackless articulating municipal tractors have a 3pt and PTO setup on the rear with a rear engine so why couldn't PT do it? :cool: