Ventrac vs PowerTrac

/ Ventrac vs PowerTrac #11  
Just curious JackIL how do you like your 4200? They look like cool machines. How does it compare to the 955 for varoius jobs?

/ Ventrac vs PowerTrac #12  
I love the Ventrac 4200. I own it primarily because it can operate safely on slopes up to 30 degrees. The 955 is a great tractor but can't handle the slopes.

JackIL

/ Ventrac vs PowerTrac
Is there much of a price difference between the ventrac and a "similar" powertrac?

Thanks

Yooper Dave

/ Ventrac vs PowerTrac #14  
Dave,

Yes there is a substantial difference. You can see direct sale prices for Power Trac right on their website--they don't have dealers. I think price lists for Ventrac and Steiner products are only available from their respective dealers. That is one major difference from Power Trac. Products sold through a dealer network are definitely going to be higher because the dealer has to maintain a business and make a profit. The positive side is that a dealer is there for service support, making a market in both new and used equipment, parts, etc. Two different business models to consider.

JackIL

/ Ventrac vs PowerTrac #15  
I believe that individual wheel motors on the PT if that is what is used are more money that the differential systems. It would depend on the quality of the motor but small differentials are not that much money.

/ Ventrac vs PowerTrac #17  
I have a small Ventrac 3000, I also looked at Steiner and Power Trac. The PT422s that are owned by another TBN member have been out to my property twice are nice units, but they won't climb my slopes and power a mower deck at full speed. Steiner's were very nice but I liked the small size of the Ventrac for what I needed to do it just was the right machine. I think the Ventracs are a bit more refined than the Steiner machines in most ways. Seems to me that JackIL covered everything very well so I can't add much. But what I do see is that Steiner seems to have stopped or at least slowed their design evolution while Ventrac seems to have taken the designs to the next logical progression in terms of improvements.

As far as tractoring duties like FEL work go, I think Power Trac is probably a better machine. But for slopes, for mowing, and for some other tasks that the Ventracs are well suited to, they are amazing machines and basically unbeatable.

/ Ventrac vs PowerTrac #18  
Bob,
Not being too familiar with Ventrac pricing I was wondering if you could compare the cost of your 3000 (as outfitted) to the biggest PT you could buy at that price (outfitted as close as possible). Just curious to see which PT lines up with it price wise.

/ Ventrac vs PowerTrac #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Bob,
Not being too familiar with Ventrac pricing I was wondering if you could compare the cost of your 3000 (as outfitted) to the biggest PT you could buy at that price (outfitted as close as possible). Just curious to see which PT lines up with it price wise. )</font>

Bill, I can't really answer your question directly but I can tell you that I paid $9800 for the Ventrac 3000, with the front mower deck and a 48" front scoop. I don't know how that compares to a PT at this point in time. My Ventrac is 16 months old, so the pricing seems like it should be a bit higher today. My experience is that Ventrac dealers will deal. Especially if you mention the word "Steiner."

I would be cautious about comparing a Ventrac 3000 to a PT. Ventrac falls short of the PTs in terms of versitility but beat them by a wide margin on slopes with its built in weight transfer/traction system, the Ventrac also has a vastly superior mower deck. I would say a PT180 is most similar to a Ventrac 3000 in size & capability, but the 3000 seems to have more useable power than the PT422.

/ Ventrac vs PowerTrac #20  
Thanks Bob! I had thought they were higher in price but maye I was thinking of the next series up from a 3000.

$9800 puts it just above the cost of the 422 with 60" mower and LMB. Add in shipping costs within a reasonable distance and it is just about the same cost.

My 180 with 45" mower, tiller, and LMB came to about $7300 delivered.

If you've never owned a tractor or compact tractor before the non-apple to apple comparisons is rough. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I am very pleased I went with the 180 as I have found, for me, things like the 600# lift outweigh the lack of power on hills some other units have. Before purchasing though it was a pretty big guess on how I would use the tractor. I'm glad that process is over and I'm glad I found the right tool for me! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif